www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 19th, 2018, 09:47   #16
Q5TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselQ5 View Post
I am in Phoenix and we are at 1000' elevation. My car was warm when I picked it up so I don't have any experience with any extra noise during warmup. Thanks for pointing that out. If I notice any different noise the next time I drive it I will comment here.
And the other guy with the high rpms when cold is in Florida. My experience has been that the winter nights can be fairly cold, even in Phoenix. Depending on where the guy in Florida lives and if he keeps the vehicle in a garage, maybe he has a colder start.

Seem the elevation should have no effect at 1000 feet, but I am just guessing.
Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:45   #17
bird67
Veteran Member

As I've read more and more reports coming in from 3.0 owners and their experiences with the "fix", I've wondered if there is a north-south (ie warm/cold weather) difference. It seemed anecdotally, and not tracked scientifically, that the warmer the climate the fewer complaints owners had. That would make sense, I suppose, since the "fix" was supposed to address the 3.0's behavior when warming up the car.

It's largely a moot point - it's not like class counsel is ever in a million years going to seek to reopen the settlement based upon subjective comments made here and on similar sites - but it is interesting at minimum, and when there is a fair body of data from which to draw conclusions, it may inform some of us about whether or not we want to submit to the fix, and when.

So, please keep the experiences, pro and con,coming.
Old January 19th, 2018, 12:27   #18
bhuizer

A positive with the new warm up procedure (even with the annoying shift points) is that the engine gets up to temp much quicker. I'm going to say it cuts warm up time by more than half in freezing temps.
bhuizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 15:05   #19
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuizer View Post
A positive with the new warm up procedure (even with the annoying shift points) is that the engine gets up to temp much quicker. I'm going to say it cuts warm up time by more than half in freezing temps.
It takes about 25% of the time. When I leave my house in the morning it’s warm before I get to the interstate. Pre-repair it wouldn’t be warm until I got to work.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 20:09   #20
Gumbus1514

TDI(s): 2014 Q5

RebelTDI -1900 comes down to 14-1500. 1900 is 5th. Pretty clear I used to glide through the hood in 7th. I even tried to get a higher gear in manual mode. Would not let me upshift period. I did a down shift and then it would not allow me to shift back. Had to cancel manual mode so the trans would shift itself. I was planning on a ECU tune but am going to hold until there is a TCU tune also.
Gumbus1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 20:11   #21
Onetrack97

TDI(s): 2015 Q5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbus1514 View Post
Just got my 14 Q5 back Tuesday. Engine seems fine but the transmission sucks. ~3 mile drive out of the neighborhood. 30ish mph was 1000-1200 rpm. Same speed is now 1900 rpm with lots of extra noise. Pedestrians, cyclists, and the greens keeping crew are all looking at me like I am some kind of deviant. I have even tried to manually take the higher gear but it is locked out. This is probably not something that is going to resolve itself through the adaptive logic. They let the politicians, beauracrats, lawyers, and the other slime wreck our cars.
I just got my 2015 back today, my experience is exactly as you have said. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet. I tried to go Manual also, can't get it into 6th until it's ready. I drive this thing pretty easy in town and about 75 or so on the highway in Texas. I normally get around 30 mpg. It's definitely going down.

Just doesn't feel like the same ride. I wonder how much less it's worth now in-trade.
Onetrack97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 21:15   #22
BarryT82
Veteran Member

I tried to manually shift to third gear yesterday and it wouldn’t shift. On the interstate it doesn’t want to go into eighth and if I shift it manually it shifts back to seventh. It’s getting close to 1/4 of a tank and has a little over 300 miles since the fill up.
Old January 21st, 2018, 06:18   #23
DieselQ5

TDI(s): 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
I tried to manually shift to third gear yesterday and it wouldn’t shift. On the interstate it doesn’t want to go into eighth and if I shift it manually it shifts back to seventh. It’s getting close to 1/4 of a tank and has a little over 300 miles since the fill up.
Is that with a pc Q5? I have not driven mine since the day i picked it up but I'm planning a long drive later this week. I will report with my mpg results.
DieselQ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 12:09   #24
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Yes. I filled mine up today for the first time since the dealership filled it after the fix. It averaged 22.8 mpg for the tank. That’s much less that it averaged pre-fix.
Old January 21st, 2018, 12:48   #25
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes. I filled mine up today for the first time since the dealership filled it after the fix. It averaged 22.8 mpg for the tank. That’s much less that it averaged pre-fix.
What kind of commute are you running? I am curious about the length of effect of the warm up cycle. My suspicion is that the sensors in the exhaust stream need to reach a certain temp. If the car is not taking 8th on the highway that suggests the ECU does not consider the system warm, even though the gauge may say otherwise. As with the Q7 fix reports, reaction is all over the place. I am getting the fix as soon as I have time to go to my local dealer. I may wait a month for warmer weather, though, lol.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (sold back to VW, May, 2018)
2015 Golf TDI 22K Miles (son’s)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 19:48   #26
BarryT82
Veteran Member

I drive 12 miles to work. It’s about 2 miles to the main road and another mile to the interstate. After I get off the interstate it’s 2 miles to my office.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 07:19   #27
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

^^That puts you in warmup mode essentially the whole time, it seems to me, except when you drive longer distances. What are you planning to do? Restore your tune? Keep us posted. Also, how is your wife’s car doing? Did you put the chip back in?

I plan to have the fix done in mid February.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (sold back to VW, May, 2018)
2015 Golf TDI 22K Miles (son’s)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 10:23   #28
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
^^That puts you in warmup mode essentially the whole time, it seems to me, except when you drive longer distances. What are you planning to do? Restore your tune? Keep us posted. Also, how is your wife’s car doing? Did you put the chip back in?

I plan to have the fix done in mid February.
I’m putting the Chipwerke Pro back on her car tonight. We’ll probably trade one of them for a BMW X5d and keep the other. Mine has a rear sway bar and front drivetrain stabilizer too so we’ll probably keep it.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 10:36   #29
Q5TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Q5

Quote:
I’m putting the Chipwerke Pro back on her car tonight. We’ll probably trade one of them for a BMW X5d and keep the other. Mine has a rear sway bar and front drivetrain stabilizer too so we’ll probably keep it.
Have heard varying opinions on BMW reliability. I am considering an X5d or X3d after unloading my Q5. Any opinion on BMW reliability?
Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 11:07   #30
truman
Veteran Member

FWIW, it is my understanding that X3 uses CP4 and X5 has CP3
I am also interested in reiiability comments
truman is offline   Reply With Quote