Replacing fuel door actuator in Jetta wagon

fredmeissner

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5MT, 2003 Golf 5MT
I'm trying to replace the fuel door actuator in my Jetta wagon. I know it has two screws, but I can only see one of them and the other one appears to be hard to get to (hidden behind metal bracket and wheel well trim). Does anyone know what I have to remove to get to it?

Last edited:

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I don't know if it will help, but here is the page from the manual on the fuel door. It looks like you're on the right track and that there are only the 2 screws. I have a little gearwrench 1/4" drive mini ratchet/bit holder that is indispensable in situations like this.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I believe it slides once the screw is loosened. The head of the screw fits through the keyhole slot. At least that's what I vaguely remember.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I believe it slides once the screw is loosened. The head of the screw fits through the keyhole slot. At least that's what I vaguely remember.
Looking a little closer at part #7, it looks like the harder to reach screw does indeed go into a keyhole shape. It also appears that the front screw is a slot so neither needs to be removed.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Hm. Mine won't shut. This has been pretty helpful.

fredmeissner

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5MT, 2003 Golf 5MT
Hm. Mine won't shut. This has been pretty helpful.
Mine won't shut either, I found that the plastic tip that comes from the actuator and keeps the door closed (which retracts when the fuel door switch is pulled) had snapped off.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Last edited: