www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 2nd, 2018, 06:05   #1
audilac

Default ALH turbocharger upgrade: which to choose

Hello guys
When i bought the car the vanes on the vnt mechasnism were siezed so i removed the turbochager to clean the vanes but i couldn't dissassemble the mechanism due to the rusted out bolts so i just worked loose the vanes with some wd-40 and flushed some of the gunk out. After that the turbocharger worked fine and it made a lot of boost.
After that i wanted to make some more power so i got an remap, maxed out the smoke limiter and torque limiter but I noticed that the turbocharger could'nt keep up with my demand. At about 100mph in fifth gear the air quantity drops to about 600mg/stroke and it does not make any more power because of the smoke limit. After that i tried to increase the boost regulation duty cycle slightly but the turbo just could not keep up.

So now after about 5000km the vnt started sticking again so i am considering to get an more powerful turbocharger.
The current turbo is an garrett vnt15 with the exhaust manifold integrated and the exit has an three bolt mount.
I will most probably try to get an second hand turbocharger but i want to ask you guys which one could i get that would fit without any or some modifications.
Could a turbocharger from a 130hp 1.9 pd tdi fit, or should i get it from a 110hp 1.9 tdi?
audilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 08:28   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

1st off, don't use wd40, its junk and just makes a mess, it has its uses but thats not one of them. 1:1 ATF and Acetone is the best rust thread penetrate. hit with a few heat cycles and it would come out. Now you know.

vtn 17/22 is about the biggest you can go for a vtn unless im missing something. its a fine turbo for a moderate to light build.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:31   #3
UhOh
Veteran Member

Might want to verify what stock head bolts can support. Folks running high pressures tend to install ARP studs. All of this kind of information can be found in the Performance forum (recommend consulting there).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:35   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

most decent moderate builds dont run big boost. you can get plenty of power with 15-19 PSI but it sounds like you need more fuel and a cam and some head work to get your top end
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:34   #5
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
most decent moderate builds dont run big boost. you can get plenty of power with 15-19 PSI but it sounds like you need more fuel and a cam and some head work to get your top end
"most decent moderate builds" without qualifying this is mostly an unusable bit of input.

"you can get plenty of power with 15-19 PSI" - this is your opinion, we have NO idea what the OP expects.

Again, the Performance forum is the place to go when looking to get info on doing any significant performance upgrades.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 13:51   #6
audilac

Thank you guys for you advices
I just pulled out the turbine out today and i used the atf acetone mixture to get the bolts out and with a bit of heat i succeded without striping any of them.
Unfortunately the turbine heart is stuck to the housing like hell, i also used oxy-acetilene to heat up the housing and a lot of the penetrant but without any success.
I also managed to chip off a bit of the turbine heart casting while trying to get to the vane assembly.
I managed to free up the vane assembly as I did it before without dissassebling it so I am considering to let it as it is before I destroy something by trying to remove the housing. It is really really stuck in there so i have no hopes of removing it without further damage.

Should i try to flush out some of the soot with some solvents before refitting it as it is?
Old January 3rd, 2018, 17:11   #7
Mongler98
Veteran Member

soak it over night in a bath of mineral sprites or diesel fuel if you dont have any. see what that does.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 17:14   #8
Mongler98
Veteran Member

also this is not my opinion, this is what i was told by a few builders and kerma when i talked with Chris. 19psi with plenty of fuel can get you to the 200HP mark. Decent to moderate builds being 150 to 200hp daily driver.
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:53   #9
audilac

You are talking about crazy horsepower numbers, i would be more than happy with 130hp and do not want to destroy my engine.
On the fuel I am still limited by the 51mg/stroke injection quantity in the fuel quantity adjuster map. I could crank up the smoke limiter map but that would result with a lot of black smoke which i do not want.

I have noticed that the markings on the compressor housings say GT1749V , is this a more powerful one than the VNT-15 ?
Old January 4th, 2018, 05:08   #10
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

audilac,

Here's a good guide as to what IMO you're asking for;

http://www.fixmyvw.com/160-hp-kit-fo...rrett-package/

You'll also need a clutch, and your gearbox needs to be in good shape.

It's about where I'm at. Sporty performance and reasonable economy.
Any more power and you start needing engine upgrades like head studs, a better cam, yada yada.
My RC4 tune is circa 24psi boost according to Jeff. Drive it all conservatively and I should have good long term reliability, with enough giddyup to be a lot of fun. I did spend a lot of money on
suspension and the LSD, but overall very happy with the result for
a daily driver. The only thing lacking on my build are some bigger
nozzles, there's a set of PP764s in my future.

Your Mileage, and budget, WILL Vary.

Cheers,
R*2

Ps. ^5s on the Acetone/ATF Mongler, beats any penetrating oil out there hands down. Cheap & effective!
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3bar MAP:2.5" Exhaust: Koni Reds HD Springs, ~1"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: XXIO Racing Rims, 215/55ZR16 GMax AS03's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: Ventectomy: Atlas skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: Bosal Hitch: VW racks:

Last edited by Rrusse11; January 4th, 2018 at 05:13.
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 05:25   #11
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audilac View Post
You are talking about crazy horsepower numbers, i would be more than happy with 130hp and do not want to destroy my engine.
On the fuel I am still limited by the 51mg/stroke injection quantity in the fuel quantity adjuster map. I could crank up the smoke limiter map but that would result with a lot of black smoke which i do not want.

I have noticed that the markings on the compressor housings say GT1749V , is this a more powerful one than the VNT-15 ?
probably a vnt-15....although there are different versions....I'm not up on all that.

However the vnt15 is actually a very good turbo works very well up to about 140-150hp. With the smaller turbo you get that great low end torque that make these cars such a blast to drive.
I would stay with a vnt15 turbo and upgrade the nozzles and a stage 3 tune with an upgraded clutch and a 2.5" downpipe.
I think you would be very happy with that setup.

Last edited by maxmoo; January 4th, 2018 at 05:34.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:35   #12
otm646
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/48.5/43

PSI is a totally useless once you understand what you're discussing. Pressure is resistance to flow. Intake and exhaust are critical to any performance build. You need to be talking in mass airflow to select a turbocharger, not PSI.
05 WRX 5 speed wagon 220k + flow mods ~270 HP
81 Lancia Beta Zagato
otm646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 13:19   #13
UhOh
Veteran Member

I'll concur with maxmoo.
Old January 4th, 2018, 13:24   #14
Gothmolly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Loving my VNT15+nozzles+chip. Just keep an eye on your boost gauge.
!Vent, !DRL, 5 brake light mod, 11mm pump, RC3, Bosio Sprint 520s, VR6/G60 clutch, missing belly pan, leaky CCV, leaky valve cover, leaking door seals, broken glovebox, broken horn, rusted fender, dead rear windowwasher, frozen axle bushings
Dead radio? Pull fuse 42, wait 60 seconds.
Gothmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 13:33   #15
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

What are your goals? A stock turbo, exhaust, nozzles and a tune will be very fun to drive. You will max out your clutch with a the above combo. If you want to retain good bottom end torque, get a VNT17, anything more and you'll need bigger nozzles, another tune etc. KISS unless you are going for big numbers.

130-150 hp is almost double the stock rating and will be a blast to drive.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote