www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 1st, 2018, 11:47   #1
Beerbaron666

TDI(s): 2005 jetta
Exclamation Stumped on my no heat

Hi there, I've been lurking on here since I got my TDI just over a year ago and found a lot of useful info from the members here. I come across a problem that I just can't seem to figure out and was hoping someone could give me an idea that I haven't tried yet. I have a 2005 Jetta with no heat and since the Canadian winter is kicking in it's getting pretty damn cold lol. I just replaced the timing belt and water pump, new thermostat and housing, I've checked the blend doors and they are moving and the foam is still good, I've flushed the heater core and water flows through it fine , I've pulled off various hoses and flushed them and everything seems to flow fine. The car gets up up to operating temp and holds fine but I just can't seem to get any heat at all, I'm stumped here I've done everything I can think of and hoping someone here can point me in a direction I haven't thought of yet. Thanks in advance for any help.
Beerbaron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 11:59   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Maybe air locked? I'd try parking the car on a very steep uphill incline to encourage any trapped air to find its way out. Temporarily disconnecting the hose to the expansion tank (with the front end raised) might also help to evacuate any air.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:09   #3
Beerbaron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Maybe air locked? I'd try parking the car on a very steep uphill incline to encourage any trapped air to find its way out. Temporarily disconnecting the hose to the expansion tank (with the front end raised) might also help to evacuate any air.
Thanks I'll give it a go and see what happens , should I see coolant recirculating when the engine is cold or (I'm guessing) hot?
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:12   #4
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Why 2 threads?? http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485141

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:16   #5
Beerbaron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
Ya that's my bad , I posted the other thread first but didn't see it show up anywhere I thought I screwed it up.
Old January 1st, 2018, 14:44   #6
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

#1 - The earlier TDIs don't warm much - if you want interior heat, observe the following
A - unless you're using the defrost, turn on the Recirc
B - DON'T turn the fan above 2-3 - you can literally cool off the engine in winter doing this
C - this is one time the automatics have an advantage over the manuals - the same coolant also cools the transmission
D - two words (if you car has them) -"Electric seats" - don't set them too high or you can burn your backside. But they help greatly
E - If you're one of those people who take your coat off in the car, expecting it to keep you warm - get out of that habit.
F - TDIs can actually COOL OFF at stop signs / lights
G - TDIs don't warm very well unless you're working them - the harder the better. A good suburban / highway helps a great deal. Corollary to this - they don't warm up very much at idle. It will stop running rough like a truck after a minute or so, but not much beyond that. starting in cold weather, an experianced TDI driver will start his car, get belted in / other things prior to moving, then take off at a moderate pace.
H - Consider warmer clothing for the driver and blankets for the back seats / FS passenger

Hope this post helps.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 15:56   #7
maxmoo
Veteran Member

1) make sure that your thermostat is working.
2) Install pipe insulation foam in all your grill slots.

How to block your front grill with pipe insulation....
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=160835
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 16:09   #8
alame

TDI(s): 2005 Passat

how much water is in the rad and can you see it circulating when the engine is running ((hot) meaning the thermostat is open ?
alame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 16:48   #9
Beerbaron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by alame View Post
how much water is in the rad and can you see it circulating when the engine is running ((hot) meaning the thermostat is open ?
I havent really looked to closely at the flow, but the upper rad hose gets hot and the lower is cold so to me i would guess the thermostat would be working. the system pressurizes all the hoses get warm or hot except the one heater core hose only gets slightly warm.
Old January 1st, 2018, 16:59   #10
UhOh
Veteran Member

Have you ever gotten heat output from your cabin heater (heater core)?

There are two heater core hoses. You cay that one gets only slightly warm, but what about the other one? If one is hot and the other not I suppose it's possible that the heater core is plugged up.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 17:35   #11
Beerbaron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Have you ever gotten heat output from your cabin heater (heater core)?

There are two heater core hoses. You cay that one gets only slightly warm, but what about the other one? If one is hot and the other not I suppose it's possible that the heater core is plugged up.
The heater worked fine when i got the car just over a year ago, the one hose that goes to the hard line that runs back for the oil cooler and back to the block get warm but the other that comes off the side of the engine is warm close to the engine but is cold closer to the heater core. I just took the car for a drive to get it as warm as i could and pulled off a couple of the smaller hoses and they seem to "pulse" they dont seem to have a steady flow. the warmest i could get the car was 87 (188.7) those are the numbers from VCDS, the car has a 190 thermostat, could it be not opening fully at that temp and limit the flow?
Old January 1st, 2018, 18:04   #12
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, that sounds like classic air locking. I forgot to mention that you should let the car idle for about 20 minutes while parked on the uphill slope with the expansion hose unhooked.

Last edited by turbobrick240; January 1st, 2018 at 19:32.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 18:39   #13
joetdi
Veteran Member

Do you carry passengers in front much?
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 19:44   #14
Beerbaron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Yeah, that sounds like classic air locking. I forgot to mention that you should let the car idle for about 20 minutes while parked on the uphill slope with the expansion hose unhooked.
I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes, thanks for the help
Old January 1st, 2018, 19:47   #15
Beerbaron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetdi View Post
Do you carry passengers in front much?
I do yes , not so much now that's it's cold out and I have no heat Driving our Jeep is starting to kill me on fuel lol