www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 1st, 2018, 09:45   #1
midairmark
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55-60 MPG-6 speed
Default Fuel leak at top of injection pump mk4

I notice I have a small drip of fuel coming from the top of the injection pump; appears to be where the top plate meets the main body (under the 4 bolts the piece that slides for the hammer mod). I've tightened 3 of the 4 but I do not have that 5 sided socket to tighten the last one. I've tried every socket, wrench but cannot find something to try to snug it up to see if it stops the drip.

Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to get it to stop dripping? Is there a gasket under there to replace?

MK4 Jetta, it is the auto fuel pump.

Thanks
midairmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 10:08   #2
drucifer
Veteran Member

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ighlight=video

Happy viewing!
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 10:43   #3
midairmark
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55-60 MPG-6 speed

thanks!
midairmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:43   #4
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Just a little general information for the benefit of everyone: the link points to a thread with other repair links for this operation. Basically you need a new gasket pair at the very least, a special socket to fit the Bosch anti-tamper fastener, and VCDS to make sure you can adjust the IQ correctly on reassembly. The torx bit should be in your possession already, if you are working on VWs.

This is not a difficult repair by any means, can be performed on the car easily in less than an hour. Just keep everything as antiseptically clean as possible, as this is a very very bad place to introduce any kind of dirt or other foreign material. If I were you, I'd scrub the outside with a toothbrush and carb or brake cleaner just on general principles, then have some paper towels available to keep any messes from happening.

You will probably want a vacuum pump to re-prime the injection pump when you are ready to re-start. And be sure to carefully mark the covers so you can put it back together as close to the original position as humanly possible. It is not possible to be too careful here, as it will save you lots of frustration in getting that initial start if you do it right.

Good luck,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote