www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 27th, 2017, 13:20   #1
rockyrunner99
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Golf
Default Major screw up, now I get to buy a new injection pump

So last night I was replacing the seals on my pump. I have a 99.5 golf. I had watched the videos about a week ago. And had apparently forgotten some. I decided to only do the top cover and the quantity adjuster because the other one wasnít leaking. I know, I was doing a half job. My car is at 410,000 miles now and I itís my only car so I didnít want to make it any more complicated than I had to. So when I went to put it back together I didnít think about aligning the QA. Pin in the hole it belongs in. Now it bent the pin. So, now Iím looking for a cheap truck for the mean time to get to work and what is a good but cheap way to fix this? I feel like the car isnít worth the money of a new pump. Can I possibly change just the QA? Should I look for a used pump from here? Thank you in advance for any help with my screw up.
rockyrunner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 13:59   #2
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrunner99 View Post
So last night I was replacing the seals on my pump. I have a 99.5 golf. I had watched the videos about a week ago. And had apparently forgotten some. I decided to only do the top cover and the quantity adjuster because the other one wasnít leaking. I know, I was doing a half job. My car is at 410,000 miles now and I itís my only car so I didnít want to make it any more complicated than I had to. So when I went to put it back together I didnít think about aligning the QA. Pin in the hole it belongs in. Now it bent the pin. So, now Iím looking for a cheap truck for the mean time to get to work and what is a good but cheap way to fix this? I feel like the car isnít worth the money of a new pump. Can I possibly change just the QA? Should I look for a used pump from here? Thank you in advance for any help with my screw up.
I have a used ALH 10mm IP, 160k miles for sale. Removed to put a larger IP on. Been stored in diesel since removed. PM me if you're interested...

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 14:11   #3
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Try DFIS or internet search for parts, they're not common.
Or get those bits on the bench and see if they can be repaired.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 14:27   #4
jmodge
Veteran Member

Take your pin or pump over to Diesel Injection Services on 54th and Clay. If anyone has parts, they would. Steve and Rob work the counter, Rob owns a couple Mk4's
Old December 27th, 2017, 19:30   #5
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Can you remove the pin and bend it back? Your not going to do any more damage than you have and hey maybe it might work.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:20   #6
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

Try Kirk Blackmore (r90sKirk) in Cedar Springs...right around the block from Grand Rapids.
He is listed in the trusted mechanics thread in TDI 101. He has a bunch of pumps there and may have a few parts on hand.

Last edited by JETaah; December 28th, 2017 at 03:24.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:34   #7
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETaah View Post
Try Kirk Blackmore (r90sKirk) in Cedar Springs...right around the block from Grand Rapids.
He is listed in the trusted mechanics thread in TDI 101. He has a bunch of pumps there and may have a few parts on hand.
Beat me to it... definitely give Kirk a shout. Good guy always willing to help out.
Old December 29th, 2017, 06:35   #8
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

Some guy the other day said I was too expensive to seal a pump. I said, "thats what you pay to get someone with experience and knows what they're doing".

He wasn't happy with that and found some "illegal alien" to do the work cheaper. Hope it didn't turn out like this one.

Poor "mechanican" and poor "ownership" (like sportsmanship) kill bunches of tdis.

LOOK AT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL -->
https://www.youtube.com/user/CoolAirVw/
Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 14:17   #9
rockyrunner99
Veteran Member

I really dont think anything in the pump is damaged. Is there a way to just replace the QA? I could find a tear down of an older VE pump but not ours. Ive been looking for a newer lower mile TDI from the south. Im not ready to part with my car yet, but really not wanting to put close to $1000 into a car with 410,000 miles on it. I can get fuel to cylinders 1 and 2, but not to 3 and 4.
Old December 29th, 2017, 14:32   #10
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

To swap out the QA you will need a pin release tool or facsimile to detach the N108 valve from the harness connector ...or buy the N108 with the QA.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 14:55   #11
rockyrunner99
Veteran Member

Can you direct me to where i could find more info about this? I can only find it for older pumps thanks
Old December 29th, 2017, 15:06   #12
KLXD
Veteran Member

What makes you think the pin on the QA is bent? If it wasn't in the hole but was hitting the collar it wouldn't have seated on the pump body. It would have been sitting a good 3/8" too high. I don't think the bolts are long enough for you to force it down to bend the pin.

If you missed the hole you might get a runaway or no start.

If you are getting fuel to two cylinders you probably just need to bleed it more and get the QA located properly.

Current: í02 Jetta, Auto; í98 Jetta, 5 Spd; í98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; í84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): í85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: í85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; í81 Rabbit, 1.6; í80 Dasher, 1.5; í79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 15:17   #13
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

On the VE pump, if the QA pin is not in the hole, the engine will start will it will not accelerate above idle. Does your engine try to accelerate? Just a thought...
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 15:38   #14
rockyrunner99
Veteran Member

it looks bent. I can get a picture tomorrow. it would not start since i have had everything apart. I guess that gives me some hope.

Just a little more detail about what I did. I was planning on doing all three seals. Last minute I got a little intimidated with doing the last one, the pump head. I had sucked all the fuel out if the pump. when I went to put it back together I though I never rotated anything, it should go right back together. well when I sucked the fuel out I moved the collar.
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:58   #15
rockyrunner99
Veteran Member

I spent a few hours priming it yesterday, getting every last air bible out. I still can’t get fuel to all the cylinders. I didn’t take it apart yet to get a picture. If I did bend it, which I’m pretty sure I did, but it’s not more than there is adjustment in the QA. I move the QA to compensate. If I manage to get the pin to the right of the collar, the. The cam pushed it and bent it to the left, would there be any pump damage. I moving toward getting a new pump. I’ve been planning on getting a new to me mk4 tdi. They seem to be getting hard to find though! I guess this one mightn’t be worth fixing up. It’s an Arizona car. It’s been in Michigan for 8 years now.