www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 27th, 2017, 11:15   #1
fbio

Unhappy Gelling issues in extreme cold

I've been driving bio for years, but just moved to Illinois and have been hit with the Polar Vortex. I was driving 50% bio with anti-gel additives when the temperature dropped to the low teens and I was parked outside. Car started but died in about a mile, I assume from crystals clogging the filter. I have an unheated garage, and of course, sometimes the car will be parked outside if I'm traveling or visiting friends. I'm also worried, with temperatures as low as -2, of gelling while I'm driving. I will probably go to 100% diesel as soon as I can, maybe even siphoning the fuel I have now.

What is the best solution? I've been looking at filter heater pads. I see that I can get a tank heater and filter heater that plug in, but I'm wondering, for safety, if I should have a 12V filter heater pad that can be running while the car is running. It is fairly easy to wire in to the wiring system of the car?

Thanks!
fbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 11:47   #2
jmodge
Veteran Member

We have been running regular pump diesel in ours with no heaters, parked outside. Have not had any issues, fired up this morn at 18 below. (knock on wood) I did drill the check valve out of the sending/pick up unit in the tank. I heard that was quite the issue back in the early days of mk4 tdi's
Old December 27th, 2017, 13:58   #3
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

If you can dilute the bio-blend with about 50% kerosene, you can probably get by without siphoning/pumping any of the mix from the tank. A tank heater would help, but it might be easier to try a leaner blend- like b25 during the coldest weather.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 14:27   #4
MichaelB
Veteran Member

If you are now living in Illinois almost all of the pump fuel is b11, might be as high as b20 but I doubt it. With this cold snap, we are experiencing your b50 blend is most likely candlewax by now unless the car is in a heated garage. Turbobrick's kerosene suggestion is your only hope as I doubt you could even drain the tank of b50 if the car is outside. You will most likely need to replace the fuel filter too.

Last edited by MichaelB; December 27th, 2017 at 14:35.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 14:48   #5
jmodge
Veteran Member

You could pull your sending unit out and see what you have. I remember a potatoe hauler from down south jelled up and cut the top off a beer can, filled it with stanadyne and dropped it in his fuel tank. It went to the bottom and he ended up getting his truck fired. Not likely bio fuel though. Come to think of it, Ask a farmer, they can usually solve anything.
Old December 27th, 2017, 15:34   #6
maxmoo
Veteran Member

With the milage these cars get and the relatively cheap cost of diesel, I don't think it's worth putting anything else in the tank....too many potential headaches.
But that's just my opinion.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 15:47   #7
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
With the milage these cars get and the relatively cheap cost of diesel, I don't think it's worth putting anything else in the tank....too many potential headaches.
But that's just my opinion.
Ding ding

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 15:54   #8
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
Ding ding
Well,
I don't feel that helps the OP with his current fuel gelling issue. Ding, Ding doesn't help! Offer up immediate solutions or pass on by. How would you feel if you asked for help and got Ding, Ding?
Old December 27th, 2017, 16:10   #9
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbio View Post
I've been driving bio for years, but just moved to Illinois and have been hit with the Polar Vortex. I was driving 50% bio with anti-gel additives when the temperature dropped to the low teens and I was parked outside. Car started but died in about a mile, I assume from crystals clogging the filter. I have an unheated garage, and of course, sometimes the car will be parked outside if I'm traveling or visiting friends.

I'm also worried, with temperatures as low as -2, of gelling while I'm driving. I will probably go to 100% diesel as soon as I can, maybe even siphoning the fuel I have now.

What is the best solution? I've been looking at filter heater pads. I see that I can get a tank heater and filter heater that plug in, but I'm wondering, for safety, if I should have a 12V filter heater pad that can be running while the car is running. It is fairly easy to wire in to the wiring system of the car?
Thanks!
I do not know the solution. Best you can get the fuel out ASAP -- Then fill with 100 % diesel -- Good luck
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 16:11   #10
UhOh
Veteran Member

Need to narrow down where the blockage is and what is causing it. We can "assume" it's the fuel, but you've really got to prove it: it might be just the check valve in the pick-up (and perhaps not related to fuel), but we really cant' say for certain, in which case try the easiest diagnostic things first.

If fuel pulls fine from the tank then it'll most likely be an issue with your fuel filter. Of course, one could swap out the filter to determine, but I think pulling fuel from the tank is quicker.

Stick with D2.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 16:21   #11
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

^^^^^^^^^^

D2

Remember your beloved ride is on in years (and maybe miles too)
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 16:23   #12
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Stick with D2.
Great advice but D2 is almost vaporware in Illinois. Better advice is to stick with pump fuel and not sweat the details. Illinois and Minnesota all have b something blends year round We need someone from Illinois to chime in here.
Old December 27th, 2017, 16:24   #13
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Start with PowerService 911 / Powerservice white. STOP USING BIO (except what you get from the pump) until spring after you empty this tank. I'd continue to using the Powerservice white for the rest of the winter.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 16:25   #14
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
Start with PowerService 911 / Powerservice white. STOP USING BIO (except what you get from the pump) until spring after you empty this tank. I'd continue to use the Powerservice white for the rest of the winter.
Now we are getting somewhere
Old December 27th, 2017, 16:32   #15
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

If it is gelling, the best possible scenario is to put it inside and warm it up. They will usually fire right up after a that, if that is the problem. Once the fuel is liquid again, drain it out and refrain from non weatherized fuel till spring.

I have seen in cases where the vehicle can't be put inside, usually large trucks, where a small controlled fire is built under it to thaw it out. (old farmer trick)
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote