www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 6th, 2018, 18:33   #31
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJamie View Post
<snip>
It seems A LOT of TDI owners are not going back to the TDI. Why is this?
I've read there has been almost no drop in fuel mileage, and no drop in hp or torque.
<snip>
There are many people involved in Dieselgate (I think 480,000 just in the U.S.), and there are people in different circumstances and with different motivations from thee and me.
For myself, I'm in my '70s, have owned a dozen and a half vehicles, and our Passat is the first diesel. It's been a good car, no question, but diesel savings has become a far more dubious proposition with the higher cost of ULSD fuel, and the repair costs of certain components and systems in these common-rail cars can be hair-raising. By the time we turn this car in, we'll have around 80K miles on it, and VW is going to pay us just a few thousand less than we paid for the car in 2013. To me, that means it gets turned in, and given what's available out there, we'll be going to a gas car. Will we take an mpg hit? Sure, that's the breaks, but we'll do fine.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 21:53   #32
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
I take the DSG is step 2 in the 'update' path?
I want an SEL. I find using Google Maps on my cell phone a pain in the butt. Much rather have it on a big screen. Seat presets, and the 18" wheels are other likes. I really don't care about the sunroof, but whatever.
I tried to get the sales guy to consider the fact that the car is now 4 MODEL YEARS OLD. No budging.

Yes, the 2015 is a 2 step process. I think the first is software and the second stage is the hardware. I'm not sure when it starts, but I assume it'll be sometime this year.

The thing is that dealers know there are people out there willing to pay for a 2015 TDI. These 2015's on the lot are 'new' cars, so they are trying to sell them as that, since they know they may get lucky. If they drop the price a few thousand, then they know they'll get snatched up, so seeing as they been sitting for 2+ years already, they don't mind letting them sit a little longer till that 1 person comes to pay full price for the car.

I'm not a fan of the sunroof either. It's just something that can leak. We had the sunroof leak on our 2010 Jetta TDI when it had less than 10k miles. They resealed it the sunroof and replaced the headliner for free since it was under warranty. It was stained in a few areas and the dealer since they didn't want us to take a chance with mold growing. After that we never had issues with it. I'll still never use mine, just like we didn't in the Jetta.

Even getting used car salesman to drop price can be hard, unless they have the price really high. I only had 3 silver ones in the state. Drove up to Jacksonville and the salesman didn't like my offer, so told me nicely he wasn't dealing with me. I called him back 2 days later and he said it sold. It didn't because it was on Autotrader for another week till it sold.

The other in Miami was $18.5k certified. I would have bought this one, but I didn't like the color of the interior. I ended up driving down to Miami and it was $16,898 (right under $17k if I'm wrong). It needed an alignment, but I could not argue with them because I had to have it. Either I was going to take it as is, or I wouldn't get the color car that I wanted. Also, the other SEL's in the state were much more expensive for the same, or more amount of miles on the car. I figured for the price I paid I can get an alignment, do the DSG soon (had 34.5k miles), and still be content after paying them since the other SEL's in the state were in the 20's.

If you like a car, I would probably jump on it pretty fast. It's really hard to find a car with all the options you want after one you liked sells. People want these cars, so you really can't wait around on them hoping they'll go cheaper, especially the SEL's. I wouldn't recommend paying full price for a 'new' one, unless if you can afford it and don't mind, then go ahead, otherwise, $21k for a certified Passat TDI SEL with 20k miles isn't a bad deal.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 08:31   #33
surfstar
Veteran Member

Quote:
I want an SEL. I find using Google Maps on my cell phone a pain in the butt. Much rather have it on a big screen. Seat presets, and the 18" wheels are other likes. I really don't care about the sunroof, but whatever.
I tried to get the sales guy to consider the fact that the car is now 4 MODEL YEARS OLD. No budging.
Buy a 2016+ TSI
Use android auto for your navi. Add 18" wheels, if the model doesn't come with them.

You can find a 2017, ~10k miles, for ~$15k (and that's in SoCal)
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 13:43   #34
Tony45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
There are many people involved in Dieselgate (I think 480,000 just in the U.S.), and there are people in different circumstances and with different motivations from thee and me.
To me, that means it gets turned in, and given what's available out there, we'll be going to a gas car. Will we take an mpg hit? Sure, that's the breaks, but we'll do fine.
You don’t need to take an mpg hit. I’m like you, in my 70s (my driving needs for this car has changed) and seriously considering a plug-in hybrid. In particular, the Kia Niro plug-in hybrid, to replace my ‘13 Golf TDI. If you prefer a sedan, then take a look at the Kia Optima plug-in hybrid. The advantage of a plug-in for me is that in my typical daily drive it’ll be on pure electric for over 80% of the time, but still have a gas engine for longer trips. The mileage for these cars is better than the diesel.

Last edited by Tony45; January 24th, 2018 at 13:47.
Tony45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 15:06   #35
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony45 View Post
You don’t need to take an mpg hit. I’m like you, in my 70s (my driving needs for this car has changed) and seriously considering a plug-in hybrid. In particular, the Kia Niro plug-in hybrid, to replace my ‘13 Golf TDI. If you prefer a sedan, then take a look at the Kia Optima plug-in hybrid. The advantage of a plug-in for me is that in my typical daily drive it’ll be on pure electric for over 80% of the time, but still have a gas engine for longer trips. The mileage for these cars is better than the diesel.
Now that we've moved into a condo building with an underground garage, plug-ins are a no-go, at least without paying for a charger installation and having cable run, the cost of which would likely wipe out any fuel savings that might accrue. And if we were going to pay for a charger installation, we'd probably be looking at a Tesla. A likely candidate (when it appears this Spring) is the Honda Accord non plug-in hybrid. Should see 40 (although several reviewers have said no way it'll do the 47 Honda claims), just a little less than we have averaged over 68K miles with our Passat.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage

Last edited by Rico567; January 24th, 2018 at 15:09.
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 06:36   #36
Tony45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
Now that we've moved into a condo building with an underground garage, plug-ins are a no-go, at least without paying for a charger installation and having cable run, the cost of which would likely wipe out any fuel savings that might accrue. And if we were going to pay for a charger installation, we'd probably be looking at a Tesla. A likely candidate (when it appears this Spring) is the Honda Accord non plug-in hybrid. Should see 40 (although several reviewers have said no way it'll do the 47 Honda claims), just a little less than we have averaged over 68K miles with our Passat.
Good heads-up about the new 2018 Accord Hybrid! Based on reviewers, and winning ‘18 car of the year by multiple car organizations, this car now on my short list. The performance / efficiency and interior design are excellent; the only negative to me is that it’s a sedan.

Last edited by Tony45; February 1st, 2018 at 08:15.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 09:29   #37
Tony45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post
Hey everyone.
So far all I have found are:
Accord hybrid
Camry hybrid
Fusion hybrid
CX-5 diesel (if it ever shows up)
Looks like I&rsquo;ll have to ditch the manual transmission finally. I don&rsquo;t feel like searching the country for a 2015 manual Passat TDI. I&rsquo;m also looking to keep costs down in the pricing area.
Open to your suggestions.
You donít have to ditch the manual transmission if you donít want to. The 2018 Accord hybrid can be had with manual at all trim levels. Watch the video below:
https://youtu.be/IxyWhKFGZz4
Old February 2nd, 2018, 10:34   #38
740GLE
Veteran Member

i thought i'd never say it, but props to honda keeping the MT, even though its on the option sheet, are they going to be as rare as a '15 TDI SEL with 6spd?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 21:51   #39
inthered
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

Quote:
You donít have to ditch the manual transmission if you donít want to. The 2018 Accord hybrid can be had with manual at all trim levels. Watch the video below:
Huh?

The Hybrid should have a "no transmission" transmission. The manual is in the "Sport" model. See next post...
Old February 4th, 2018, 21:56   #40
inthered
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

As the Original Poster of this thread I am posting this post in both of my threads about "what car are you looking at" since I have finally decided and made my purchase earlier this week...

I purchased a 2018 White Honda Accord Sport 2.0T with a manual transmission. The car is rated at 22 city / 32 highway but I see some people get in the mid/upper 30s with a good amount of highway driving which is my target. I'll miss my 13-14 years of diesel driving and high miles per gallon but it's time to move on.

The MSRP with destination charge is $31,200. I was able to pay $31,000 out the door with tax, title, license, and dealer add-ons. After my buyback from VW I'll be paying 18-19k out of pocket for what has won a ton of "car of the year" or similar awards. I'm very happy with my purchase and deal I was able to make.
Old February 5th, 2018, 16:09   #41
TwosDay
Default 2012 Passat replaced by Chevy Equinox TD

]

I have purchased a Chevy Equinox TD to replace my 2012 Passat TDI 6-speed manual.
TwosDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 09:15   #42
740GLE
Veteran Member

Keep reporting the MPG of the Chevy. I can't stand the styling of anything with bow tie but its great knowing they have a diesel option. Maybe some day they will offer on in the Atlas.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 17:06   #43
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Quote:
There is no manual with the hybrid. It is not even possible to do such a thing with how that powertrain works.

You can get a NON-HYBRID with a manual transmission. The one in the video was the NON-HYBRID 2.0 Turbo.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 21:43   #44
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
No wagon :-(
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 21:57   #45
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

As with most manufacturers, Honda wants you to buy a CUV instead, and has an ample choice of them ...
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote