www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 29th, 2017, 05:36   #16
740GLE
Veteran Member

Passat TSI's can be had dirt cheap
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 02:23   #17
inthered
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Passat TSI's can be had dirt cheap

How cheap is dirt cheap? Less than 20k?
Old December 30th, 2017, 08:47   #18
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

We have a 2017 Passat TSI, and yes, it can get good mileage, but you really.... really try hard to get it. I could probably get high 30's to 40mpg going 65-70mph on the highway, but it's a pain to do that. One little step on the accelerator and the mpg goes down quick. In the city the mpg is pretty bad, IMO. I notice we get about the stated 23mpg, but it's low when I think about the TDI. Highway I think 35, maybe 36 mpg is more accurate of what we get when we drive about 70mph. if I was to keep up with traffic doing 80mpg, then 33mpg tops is what we'd get.

I was going to drive the 2017 Passat TSI for my daily 112 mile work trip, but I just wasn't feeling the transmission on that car. it does pick up faster, but trying to get good MPG in that car is annoying. I ran non-ethanol fuel in it and it seemed like it ran longer, but at an added cost of about 60 cent every gallon over regular gas. It could have been a placebo effect since I only did it for 1 tank. The transmission really bugged me though because if you came up behind a car and let of the accelerator, the car kept on going and you had to hit your brakes. In the city it's worse, because I'm tapping my brakes all the time. I guess I'm still used to the DSG tranny. With the TDI DSG you can let off and the car slows down by itself, without having to hit the brakes so much. I also don't have the 'need for speed' like I did with the TSI. By no means is that car fast, but it is quicker than the TDI.

I told my wife she could keep the car and I drove around to find a 2015 Passat TDI SEL for just under $17k with 34.5k miles. I could not be happier with my decision. I do wish I had some of the safety features as her, but me being happy with what I'm driving is a big relief. It's nice to get 40+mpg without even trying. I've seen numbers slightly above 50mpg when I'm doing 70mph, which my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG couldn't even get. I am in love with this car and so glad I stuck with a TDI.

Maybe the 2018 Passat will get slightly better mpg and easier to get 40mpg with the 2.0 TSI. I will say Apple car play is nice to have. The safety features the new Passat's have are nice also.

Look forward to hearing what you purchased at the end of this.

I can't say much about the hybrids, but I assume it'll be easy to get the high MPG's in them without having to try. I know my buddy had a 2006 Honda Insight and that thing would easily get 60mpg. It looked weird as heck, but he is a very green person, so he didn't care. I know most out now get high 40's to maybe low 50's, so that's still pretty awesome. I

Maybe the 2018 Passat will get slightly better mpg and easier to get 40mpg with the 2.0 TSI. I will say Apple car play is nice to have.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 13:55   #19
inthered
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashed Ixnay View Post
We have a 2017 Passat TSI, and yes, it can get good mileage, but you really.... really try hard to get it. I could probably get high 30's to 40mpg going 65-70mph on the highway, but it's a pain to do that. One little step on the accelerator and the mpg goes down quick. In the city the mpg is pretty bad, IMO. I notice we get about the stated 23mpg, but it's low when I think about the TDI. Highway I think 35, maybe 36 mpg is more accurate of what we get when we drive about 70mph. if I was to keep up with traffic doing 80mpg, then 33mpg tops is what we'd get.

I was going to drive the 2017 Passat TSI for my daily 112 mile work trip, but I just wasn't feeling the transmission on that car. it does pick up faster, but trying to get good MPG in that car is annoying. I ran non-ethanol fuel in it and it seemed like it ran longer, but at an added cost of about 60 cent every gallon over regular gas. It could have been a placebo effect since I only did it for 1 tank. The transmission really bugged me though because if you came up behind a car and let of the accelerator, the car kept on going and you had to hit your brakes. In the city it's worse, because I'm tapping my brakes all the time. I guess I'm still used to the DSG tranny. With the TDI DSG you can let off and the car slows down by itself, without having to hit the brakes so much. I also don't have the 'need for speed' like I did with the TSI. By no means is that car fast, but it is quicker than the TDI.

I told my wife she could keep the car and I drove around to find a 2015 Passat TDI SEL for just under $17k with 34.5k miles. I could not be happier with my decision. I do wish I had some of the safety features as her, but me being happy with what I'm driving is a big relief. It's nice to get 40+mpg without even trying. I've seen numbers slightly above 50mpg when I'm doing 70mph, which my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG couldn't even get. I am in love with this car and so glad I stuck with a TDI.

Maybe the 2018 Passat will get slightly better mpg and easier to get 40mpg with the 2.0 TSI. I will say Apple car play is nice to have. The safety features the new Passat's have are nice also.

Look forward to hearing what you purchased at the end of this.

I can't say much about the hybrids, but I assume it'll be easy to get the high MPG's in them without having to try. I know my buddy had a 2006 Honda Insight and that thing would easily get 60mpg. It looked weird as heck, but he is a very green person, so he didn't care. I know most out now get high 40's to maybe low 50's, so that's still pretty awesome. I

Maybe the 2018 Passat will get slightly better mpg and easier to get 40mpg with the 2.0 TSI. I will say Apple car play is nice to have.

Well I’m pretty sold on getting a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid. It depends on what kind of deal I can strike on it. I developed a little Excel matrix of what cars would cost to own on just MSRP and fuel at 2.50/gallon and it looks like at 150,000 I break even on Honda Accord and straight gas models. If I were to get something like a Subaru Legacy, which I think is like a Jetta, it would be a substantial savings until like 300,000 miles of which the cars may not last that long. I planned on the Passat being 10 years and 300,000 but it was not meant to be.

I’m a little excited to see how this is going to pan out. What sucks is I did make some repairs recently that had I known this I would not have done. Oh well.
Old December 30th, 2017, 17:04   #20
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post
Well I’m pretty sold on getting a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid. It depends on what kind of deal I can strike on it. I developed a little Excel matrix of what cars would cost to own on just MSRP and fuel at 2.50/gallon and it looks like at 150,000 I break even on Honda Accord and straight gas models. If I were to get something like a Subaru Legacy, which I think is like a Jetta, it would be a substantial savings until like 300,000 miles of which the cars may not last that long. I planned on the Passat being 10 years and 300,000 but it was not meant to be.

I’m a little excited to see how this is going to pan out. What sucks is I did make some repairs recently that had I known this I would not have done. Oh well.

I know the feeling. Just about 4 months ago my ignition switch went out on me, so that was $800 (had oil filter changed too), then about a month and half ago I just did the DSG service for another $300.

The ignition switch couldn't have been prevented, but I wish I didn't do the DSG service, but I still didn't know at the time what I was going to do, so I just got it done. I have a wheel hub assembly going out on me now, and that was kind of the last straw for me to sell back the Jetta TDI. If I did the fix and did the timing belt, wheel hub assembly, and fixed my intake manifold flap p2015 code, I'd still be up around $3,500. With my luck something would happen to my HPFP, DPF, or something else if I kept the car longer before I did the fix.
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:50   #21
Q5TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 tdi fan View Post
Have you considered chevy equinox diesel? I wanted the cx-5 diesel as well but after they kept pushing back the release date i finally caved in and got the chevy.Couldn't be happier.
How is your mileage.
I have been waiting for the CX-5 diesel. One problem with the Equinox (and the Terrain) diesel is the towing capacity is 1500 pounds. I expect to have a small boat on a trailer, and 1500 pounds is well below the 4500 pounds of my Q5 TDI.
Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 07:27   #22
surfstar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5TDI View Post
How is your mileage.
I have been waiting for the CX-5 diesel. One problem with the Equinox (and the Terrain) diesel is the towing capacity is 1500 pounds. I expect to have a small boat on a trailer, and 1500 pounds is well below the 4500 pounds of my Q5 TDI.
https://jalopnik.com/the-39-mpg-2018...a-h-1797983211
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:29   #23
inthered
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post

That’s a good article. In our case, diesel fans are fans of diesel for ya savings over the short and long run. With base prices like those the diesel model is not competitive.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:41   #24
Tony45
Veteran Member

If you can live with a crossover, Kia Niro (regular or plug-in) hybrid, 43-50 mpg depending on model and a 500-600 mile range. The plug-in allows for 26 Miles pure electric range. The cheaper models have higher mpg because of tire width and lighter weight.
Tony45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:54   #25
Mark_J
Veteran Member

Sold back a 2014 Passat TDI manual and a 2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG. Loved both vehicles but couldn't pass up how much they were giving me, and because of no fix for the manual, glad I did. So I turned around and bought a Passat TSI with Tech for my wife. It is a better fit for her now that she is retired and she just putts around town, which is not the best driving habit for a diesel, especially when it needs to be driven on the highway to ensure the DPF gets good and cleaned. I then purchased a new 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium for me and love the car and we use it on longer trips to Spokane and I still work 450 miles from home, so still drive a lot. Bought it in Bellingham and they were stored inside and kept up very well, and when it was all said and done, after selling back the 2014 & 2013 and purchasing the 2 new Passat's, I still had almost a grand left over. Really can't beat that, but it also helped that both older cars were paid for and the 2 new cars are also paid for. So hopefully we are set for a long time vehicle wise. Retiring soon myself and now have a very nice camper and a 2017 Ford 6.7 Diesel dully crewcab 4X4 to carry the camper and can also tow my 10' Aluma with my Harley triglide or maybe a small fishing rig someday. Looking forward to fishing and etc. One more thing, my wife gets around 30 MPG with the TSI in town now that it is cold and when she drives across the state to visit me, she gets in the mid 30s to slightly more MPG on the highway. With the TDI I get around 40 around town, but on the highway I get the mid to upper 40s. Not as much as my previous TDI's but I am happy. The Ford dully diesel surprisingly gets as high as 20 MPG on the highway @ 60 - 65 MPH, but around 16 - 17 around town.
Mark_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 16:12   #26
JimJamie

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg ave year round
Default Why are so many not returning to the TDI?

I'm about ready to turn in my 2013 Passat TDI manual, and will probably buy a 2015 TDI SEL Premium. (my wife has arthritis and never liked shifting).
It seems A LOT of TDI owners are not going back to the TDI. Why is this?
I've read there has been almost no drop in fuel mileage, and no drop in hp or torque.

This idea suddenly came about when I learned there was no fix for the standard, and I started crunching the numbers on the VW site. Driving the 2013 is a major liability. If I total it I'm out almost $10,000!
Old January 4th, 2018, 18:04   #27
inthered
Veteran Member

I’d like to stay TDI but it would be a major pain to go and find one. I’m not interested in all that pain.

Just recently, as in a few days ago, I developed another engine code - P202A, which is the ad blue heater apparently.

My car’s registration and inspection is good through April so it seems that would be my target sell back date now.

If VW continues making TDI I would get another but they are pulling out so I am as well.
Old January 6th, 2018, 07:37   #28
JimJamie

I looked at a new 2015 yesterday. I could not get him to drop the price by more than the $1000. MSRP $35,740 - $5000 rebate to dealer - $1000 discount +500 doc prep = $30,240.
I can get a certified 2015 w/20,000 miles for around $21,000. I explained the situation to him too. He must know something I don't know.
Old January 6th, 2018, 14:08   #29
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Some dealers are holding onto them hoping there still are people out there willing to pay full price for the car. These 2015's are rare, but no way I'm going to pay $30k for one in 2018, even if it is 'new.'

If I was you I would get the 2015 certified one for $21k. Assuming its the color and the options you want, 20k miles is nothing, especially since it's certified. That's a good amount of driving till you have to do the DSG also.

Are you looking at an SE or SEL?
Old January 6th, 2018, 15:37   #30
JimJamie

I take the DSG is step 2 in the 'update' path?
I want an SEL. I find using Google Maps on my cell phone a pain in the butt. Much rather have it on a big screen. Seat presets, and the 18" wheels are other likes. I really don't care about the sunroof, but whatever.
I tried to get the sales guy to consider the fact that the car is now 4 MODEL YEARS OLD. No budging.

Last edited by JimJamie; January 6th, 2018 at 15:40.
JimJamie is offline   Reply With Quote