www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 26th, 2017, 18:49   #1
inthered
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47 mpg
Default Buyback/Replacement redux thread - high mpg replacements?

Hey everyone.

When I created the original thread, I wound up getting every response possible as many peoples’ needs had changed. Mine have not, as well as many of you here. With the fix for manual 2012-2014 cars being rejected in New Jersey, I’m going to reopen my search for a replacement. I’m looking for high miles per gallon (read as 40+) for a replacement. New cars are not out of the question. So far all I have found are:

Accord hybrid
Camry hybrid
Fusion hybrid
CX-5 diesel (if it ever shows up)

Looks like I’ll have to ditch the manual transmission finally. I don’t feel like searching the country for a 2015 manual Passat TDI. I’m also looking to keep costs down in the pricing area. I enjoyed everything Volkswagen offered in their cars with most items standard or minor upgrades such as satellite radio, heated seats and mirrors, and “leather” seats in the Passat. What I’d like in the new car is good interaction with the smartphone, if possible. Some rentals I have driven, such as dodge and even a newer Volkswagen bug dune edition, have this.

Open to your suggestions.
Old December 26th, 2017, 20:06   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Why not find one of the 2015 Passat DSG's out there? Maybe a new one. You already know pretty much all about it.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 20:48   #3
inthered
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Why not find one of the 2015 Passat DSG's out there? Maybe a new one. You already know pretty much all about it.

Nah.. just not feeling it in automatic. I’m not going to die if I get an automatic, but I’m open to exploring other options. I’d like to keep it under 30. I believe my buyback will be around 14-15k? I anticipate my car to have 155-165k toward the end of next year and it’s in great condition.
Old December 27th, 2017, 08:42   #4
surfstar
Veteran Member

Don't fixate on 40+ mpg as the end all.

Look at total cost of ownership.

Example: run the numbers of an Accord/Camry hybrid purchase, vs a TSI Passat.

I also recommend getting android auto / apple carplay for true phone integration. 2016+ VWs have this standard. Find a deal on a TSI VW (Passat, Golf, Jetta...) and price compare vs those in your other list. You can get a 5spd stick shift also.

OR

I'm still confused as to why you lament losing the manual TDI Passat, yet refuse to run a simple nationwide search for a 2015 version of one. You can ship cars quite easily for $500-1000. You'll get an 11yr 162k mile emissions warranty that covers all the major items (also helps ease anxiety of buying a car sight-unseen).
IMO, if you want a 40+ mpg replacement car, why not go that route?

*shrug*

Last edited by surfstar; December 27th, 2017 at 09:00.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:29   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

also&rsquo ditch&rsquo that&rsquo frigging&rsquo tapatouch&rsquo app&rsquo, can't&rsquo stand&rsquo the&rsquo errors&rsquo it&rsquo cause&rsquo in&rsquo your&rsquo posts&rsquo.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:32   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

I'd peg the Passat TSI at the top of the list to at least look at/test drive. It may not beat the hybrids, but its darn close to it and the EA888 Gen3 is going to be a dime a dozen engine, so you won't be the only one around with the same issues.
Old December 27th, 2017, 10:11   #7
2013 tdi fan

TDI(s): 2013

Have you considered chevy equinox diesel? I wanted the cx-5 diesel as well but after they kept pushing back the release date i finally caved in and got the chevy.Couldn't be happier.
2013 tdi fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 11:15   #8
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Mazda 6. The Skyactiv gasoline engines do well enough so that the difference between that and diesel power isn't worth mentioning in terms of fuel cost in the USA. They are very nice to drive, and you can get a manual transmission.

The new Accord in 4 cylinder non-hybrid form, with the 1.5 turbo gas engine. You can get a manual transmission. I doubt if the price difference to the hybrid is worthwhile from the standard model as a starting point.

VW Jetta 1.4 TSI gas engine. You can get a manual transmission.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:19   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
also&rsquo ditch&rsquo that&rsquo frigging&rsquo tapatouch&rsquo app&rsquo, can't&rsquo stand&rsquo the&rsquo errors&rsquo it&rsquo cause&rsquo in&rsquo your&rsquo posts&rsquo.
My feeling also.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Old December 27th, 2017, 17:51   #10
joshhol

Why not keep your current ride? What if Dieselfate had never happened, would you be looking to ditch your car to by an appliance vehicle?
joshhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 20:56   #11
inthered
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhol View Post
Why not keep your current ride? What if Dieselfate had never happened, would you be looking to ditch your car to by an appliance vehicle?

My current ride is starting to have some trouble. I have a check engine light. I had a pressure sensor replaced. Light came back. They suggest changing an exhaust gas temperature sensor. Not sure I want to keep playing a game now that the fix has been abandoned. If they had the fix I would have kept it. I already signed and notarized the paperwork.

Also, my “new car” inspection is coming to the end of its 5 year rope. Won’t pass with the light on. We’ll see what happens as it comes and goes.
Old December 27th, 2017, 21:02   #12
inthered
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
Don't fixate on 40+ mpg as the end all.

Look at total cost of ownership.

Example: run the numbers of an Accord/Camry hybrid purchase, vs a TSI Passat.

I also recommend getting android auto / apple carplay for true phone integration. 2016+ VWs have this standard. Find a deal on a TSI VW (Passat, Golf, Jetta...) and price compare vs those in your other list. You can get a 5spd stick shift also.

OR

I'm still confused as to why you lament losing the manual TDI Passat, yet refuse to run a simple nationwide search for a 2015 version of one. You can ship cars quite easily for $500-1000. You'll get an 11yr 162k mile emissions warranty that covers all the major items (also helps ease anxiety of buying a car sight-unseen).
IMO, if you want a 40+ mpg replacement car, why not go that route?

*shrug*

I’m not totally fixated on mileage only - if the car is too expensive to buy in it is disqualified. The car needs to be mid 20s at most when I walk out.

While I look at mpg, I do look at cost of ownership as well. I also look at the capacity of the fuel tank (range) as I drive about 700 miles a week and I’m not looking to be on a first name basis with the gas station if I can avoid it.

Apple CarPlay is high on my “nice to have” list but it’s not a deal breaker.

I’ll look at the TSI line... perhaps I can get an “excellent” deal for being a longtime Volkswagen customer.
Old December 27th, 2017, 21:53   #13
inthered
Veteran Member

Also... 1 more thing... car has been consuming oil for months now. I’ve been looking into it for a while and have pinned it down to the all too frequent regenerations. I thought the pressure sensor would have fixed it but no.

Car doesn’t blow a lot of smoke, but these problems popping up along with the cop out on the fix suggest I move on from the car. I stayed in as long as I could and it has served me well but it seems like the good sensible business decision to make.
Old December 28th, 2017, 05:24   #14
740GLE
Veteran Member

wow’ that’ really’ is’ a’ bummer’

It’s tough’ when’ a’ dealer’ can’t solve’ issues’ first’ go’ around’. I’ feel’ your’ pain’

’ ’ ’ ’ ’ ’
Old December 28th, 2017, 20:31   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That&rsquo made&rsquo me&rsquo laugh&rsquo !&rsquo.

Nothing“ like“ using“ a“ broken“ app“

2015 Beetle TDI.