www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 25th, 2017, 09:37   #16
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

AL so its important to note that you get snow tires in a less wide tire size. For example if the tire you have is a 105/75/16 you would get say a 95/75/16, Just an example and just about all tires whops and cars have the tire size for what you need. Tirerack.com has this automatic for you too.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 11:31   #17
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

The OEM size for the "standard" wheel is a 195/65/15 and in a decent tread pattern do a great job in the snow.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 21:17   #18
boodles

Hi everyone, thanks for all the tips, looks like 90% of my problem is probably the directionality of the tires and their pressure.

Will have to see if I can find anyone tommorrow to swap the tires for me as I have nowhere and no tools to do it myself, plus it’s -20 below to be doing it in a parking lot on all four tires right now.

Just to be clear, does it matter if the “Left” labelled tire ends up on the right side of the car, and vice versa? Or just that the arrows are front/forward facing.
Old December 25th, 2017, 21:26   #19
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Yep, lefts go on rights. as long as the arrows point the right way, your good. What area you in, maybe one of us can give you a hand? if you were close enough to me i would help you out. A trick to jack up your car. look in the trunk, find the jack that is in the spare tire. now go drive to a car wash and do it under the shelter of that. OR just Bring a 6 pack of beer and 2x $20 ($20 for each guy if its two of them) bills to a local tire shop ,not a chain like NTB or Mr. Tire, some gas station mechanic and ask the guys in the shop, not the guy in the front, if they can swap your tires around. I used to work in a tire shop and i have seen stunts like this happen a few times now and again.

Last edited by Mongler98; December 25th, 2017 at 21:35.
Old December 25th, 2017, 21:38   #20
Mongler98
Veteran Member

The shop i was at would do stuff like that for free as they value return business. no shop ever makes money on tires and tire service. its all the mark up crap like brakes, filters, and what not so its adventitious for them to do things like this for free or for a few bucks. I know $20 plus $7 for beers is a bit much for this but its cold as hell, snow, and its worth it IMO for being able to drive safe ASAP as your in a jar of frozen pickles!
Old December 25th, 2017, 23:37   #21
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodles View Post
Hi everyone, thanks for all the tips, looks like 90% of my problem is probably the directionality of the tires and their pressure.
Will have to see if I can find anyone tommorrow to swap the tires for me as I have nowhere and no tools to do it myself, plus it’s -20 below to be doing it in a parking lot on all four tires right now.
Just to be clear, does it matter if the “Left” labelled tire ends up on the right side of the car, and vice versa? Or just that the arrows are front/forward facing.
Before you swap the tires side to side, a photo/s less zoomed in, that shows more of the car (but still shows the arrows) would be helpful. I'd just reduce the pressure to 30 psi until you get confirmation that they are indeed on backwards.

What model of Toyo tires are these? Some manufacturers are making winter rated tires that are both directional and asymmetrical- sort of an all season and snow tire hybrid. They are probably not as good in the snow as a dedicated, directional only snow tire.

I just put a set of Nokian Nordman studded snows on my golf, and they are AMAZING in deep snow. Even better than the Hakkapeliitta's I've had in the past. They're a bit loud on clear pavement, but the noise is worth the winter performance, imo.

Last edited by turbobrick240; December 26th, 2017 at 01:52.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:50   #22
boodles

Unfortunately I’m heading out of town tonight. I’m located in Toronto, Ontario, and headed up to Thunder Bay to visit family for the holidays tonight as soon as I get off work. Hopefully as you said I can find a shop that will swap them real quick before I leave but it being Boxing Day a lot is closed unfortunately.

Here’s a bit of a backed of picture, hopefully you can still see the tire markings, that’s the right front.
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:30   #23
whitedog
Veteran Member

Look at the tread. If you draw a line around the circumference, is the left side of the tire, the same as the right? If they aren't, then they are asymmetrical and should be put on the correct side of the car in the correct rotational direction.
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:45   #24
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

That looks like the front left/driver side to me. I can't quite make out the arrows in that photo though.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:54   #25
jmodge
Veteran Member

Maybe they are not arrows but just graphics. If the tire says mount on left or right side of vehicle, that is where they belong.
Old December 26th, 2017, 07:11   #26
boodles

So sorry yes that’s the front left lol

I’m not sure what you mean about the tread... I know right is on the right but those arrows are the wrong way. Could they be on the rims, i dont know, inside out?
Old December 26th, 2017, 07:35   #27
KLXD
Veteran Member

I agree with jmodge. Those look like graphics to me too. Any arrows I've seen on tires are unmistakably arrows.

Did your picher get reversed? That looks like the left to me also.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5

Last edited by KLXD; December 26th, 2017 at 07:49.
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 07:59   #28
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
I agree with jmodge. Those look like graphics to me too. Any arrows I've seen on tires are unmistakably arrows.

Did your picher get reversed? That looks like the left to me also.
no way. im 100% sure that is a directional arrow. My Michelin exalto's had the same arrows on them. i worked for 3 years at a tire shop in 2009 to 20011 and i have seen plenty of variations on the arrow design.
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:02   #29
KLXD
Veteran Member

Maybe but if the sidewall says right or left it doesn't need an arrow.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:03   #30
boodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
no way. im 100% sure that is a directional arrow. My Michelin exalto's had the same arrows on them. i worked for 3 years at a tire shop in 2009 to 20011 and i have seen plenty of variations on the arrow design.
I really hope it is, and I looked up the brand/model and it says they are supposed to be directional. If not i can’t see what else causes the car to slide 4ft info traffic at the tinniest patch of slush. I’ve hopefully found someone to take a look and swap them tonight. Fingers crossed.