www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old December 24th, 2017, 09:09   #1
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Default O-Ring on Turbo Oil Feed Line?

I've been collecting parts to upgrade the turbo on my AHU to a VNT-17 and ended up with a question about the feed line. I purchased an aftermarket, braided feed line and realized that the end of it has an o-ring in a groove that was cut into the fitting. This seems out of place to me... I would think the fitting should seal without the o-ring, as it is the same idea as the flare on brake lines or AN fittings, for example. The aftermarket ones I find online all seem to have this o-ring; but as far as I can tell, the OEM feed lines do not. To be fair, though, I have no first hand experience taking off the feed line from an ALH. All my experience has been on a 1.8T which uses a banjo bolt and I am simply going off of second hand knowledge and diagrams. I don't see a seal shown in the part diagram.

So my questions are whether that o-ring should be there or not? If it should, is it the right size? And if so, how do I get it into the union on the turbo without slicing through the o-ring?
Old December 24th, 2017, 09:43   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Looks out of place. My gt2052 on my AHU is the same fitting as all other turbos, a 1/4" NPT threads. Put that to -6an or -4an, can’t remember right now and just got a braided hose and modified the banjo on the oil output I got a banjo -4an (if that was the size, can’t remember) and used the stock banjo bolt. But I did port the banjo to allow more flow in the inside so it was more similar to the stock. I have never seen an o'ring on a turbo ever. That fitting gets HOT and I mean HOT. I would think that o'ring would fail very easily.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:01   #3
oldpoopie

Where did you get it?

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:02   #4
oldpoopie

Also i doubt that nut will even fit btween the compressor housings..... looks like the nuts interfere

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 13:47   #5
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I have one of those o-ring oil lines as well, and the fitting mine goes into has a larger I.D. than the one you have. I have thousands of miles on mine and have had no oil issues with it, in spite of the fact it has been removed and re-attached 5 or 6 times.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 14:26   #6
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Looks like the wrong fitting altogether. This is the only type of compression fitting that I've ever seen on a VW TDI turbo...

Last edited by 1854sailor; December 24th, 2017 at 14:31.
1854sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 18:25   #7
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

the taper should seal on its own, but w/e
there's a groove in it for an o-ring, so leave the o-ring in there

if it doesn't clear the bolt holding the compressor housing on, you can toss that bolt, as there are 5 more holding it on. Or you know, clock the housing a little to put it away from the oil fitting. Whichever is easier.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 18:30   #8
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

ive used ebay flexible feed lines with that o-ring in there on 3 different TDI's now without any issue.

2 of them are still fairly fresh installs but one has over 3 years on it now without noticing a leak.
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:23   #9
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie View Post
Where did you get it?
Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/Turbo-Jetta...turbo+oil+line

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie View Post
Also i doubt that nut will even fit between the compressor housings..... looks like the nuts interfere
The picture is deceiving. It fits ok between them. I didn't think to make sure that I could get a wrench on it, though. I'll have to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
I have one of those o-ring oil lines as well, and the fitting mine goes into has a larger I.D. than the one you have. I have thousands of miles on mine and have had no oil issues with it, in spite of the fact it has been removed and re-attached 5 or 6 times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
the taper should seal on its own, but w/e
there's a groove in it for an o-ring, so leave the o-ring in there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupshirt88 View Post
ive used ebay flexible feed lines with that o-ring in there on 3 different TDI's now without any issue.

2 of them are still fairly fresh installs but one has over 3 years on it now without noticing a leak.
Glad to hear that there have been no issues using them. I would have thought that the turbo would get way too hot for the o-ring and it would end up melted?
Old December 25th, 2017, 10:59   #10
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Generous oil cooling prevents ruining of the o-ring.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 11:50   #11
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

and that there's another o-ring between the compressor cover backing plate and the center housing
much closer to the heat
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 11:59   #12
QuickTD
Veteran Member

The fitting appears correct, but the o-ring cross section is too large. The fitting style is DKOL, it should have the same dimensions as the stock compression DKL ("olive" style) fitting but the hose crimp fittings in this series have an o-ring added to make up for the lack of conformability of the formed one-piece fitting.

It may seal without the o-ring but for insurance, I would find a smaller cross section o-ring and go with that.

Last edited by QuickTD; December 25th, 2017 at 12:07.
QuickTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 07:10   #13
Stromaluski
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
The fitting appears correct, but the o-ring cross section is too large. The fitting style is DKOL, it should have the same dimensions as the stock compression DKL ("olive" style) fitting but the hose crimp fittings in this series have an o-ring added to make up for the lack of conformability of the formed one-piece fitting.

It may seal without the o-ring but for insurance, I would find a smaller cross section o-ring and go with that.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks!
Old December 28th, 2017, 17:59   #14
corsabala

I've never seen this O ring before. But the feed line isn't like that
corsabala is offline   Reply With Quote