www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:52   #1
jlcunlimited

TDI(s): 04 jetta tdi
Default Need tuning advice

Hi I've been gone for awhile and I just picked up a 04 Jetta with 200k on it and plan on some upgrades like turbo, cam, exhaust and tune. I know what cam and turbo I'm going with but I am looking for a 2.5 inch exhaust and wondering who to use for the tune. I live near Tacoma Washington.
jlcunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:00   #2
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

RocketChip and Malone seem to be the best for tuning, and BuzzKen makes an excellent exhaust system.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:01   #3
joetdi
Veteran Member

Ignore

Last edited by joetdi; December 22nd, 2017 at 07:02. Reason: Read post wrong
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 09:42   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Just curious, what turbo? We all know that there is only 2 cams you can get.
Why are you just going with a turbo and a cam? its not the right way to start a build IMO.
Let me ask you what your budget is and if your going any of the work yourself?

Upgrades go like this.
Fuel injeciton
Turbo
Exhasut
Intake and cooling the air
more fuel upgrades
Mapping and sensors
Clutch
then a tune every time you step up the fuel or boost levels.
Head work (there is going to be a CNC head work here soon so hold your breath for mid 2018)
THEN A CAM
You can mix and match but the tune is what is going to cost a arm and a leg if you have to do it a few times vs once.

I did not install a cam until 5 years later of owning the car and i was upgrading tings left and right on a budget.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:59   #5
Owain@malonetuning

Stock nozzles are good for 170hp or so. Anything larger than a VNT17 would be wasted on stock nozzles, but a 1756 would work okay. Even on a stock turbo the colt cams make a difference up top on the PDs (which have moody bw kp39 turbos), I'd do the cam while doing the nozzles, or leave both alone and just run a VNT17.

Darkside has heads available now, head studs should be installed past 24 PSI, you'll want a differential as well.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:02   #6
jlcunlimited

I am going with the vnt17 turbo because the one that is in it is leaking oil and I found the cam going flat so I plan on putting the Colt stage 2 cam and replacing the belt while I have it apart.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:38   #7
Mongler98
Veteran Member

How many miles on the stock engine? cam should not be going flat form normal wear. my 360K mile AHU's cam is only worn down by about 0.0018 from its original size.
Something is not right and you need to address why its worn down. Stock TDI's usually run stock internals and cam and can go 600K with out thinking about it if cared for properly.

If your just replacing parts, sure the cam is a fine upgrade. I would suggest a vtn17/22 hybrid for a fairly stock upgrade.
When you say, its leaking oil, what do you mean? Out the exhaust? into the intake/boost piping? If its in the boost pipes, you can measure how much comes out. if its only about 1 cup-ish your fine, thats normal.
What did your cam measure out? A regrind is probably your best option from Kerma.

If your turbo is indeed fubar and so is your cam, i highly suggest talking with Kerma and getting a regrind stage 2, some .357 nozzles pop tuned, and a vtn17/22. Tune from malone or kerma
This is a fairly tame build and should last a very long time with reliability to boot. You might want to get a upgrade on the clutch though in the future before you go any further. 2.5" exhaust is fine
The reason i say do the nozzles and what not, is your tune is going to cost you a fair amount of $$$ and nozzles are cheep. you should only have to do a tune once if your on a daily or budget. If you do not do a tune you can run all those mods with no issue what so ever and still see a good bit more power. there are self tunes you an do to get more fuel for the turbo but if your going to buy a tune, do it once

Last edited by Mongler98; December 22nd, 2017 at 11:41.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:48   #8
jlcunlimited

I have the bew engine with 200k on it . I don't like oil leaks and I every connection is wet and there is a constant drip hagging off the turbo. The car is a daily and automatic so I don't plan on doing anything major. I just want a little more power and milage. I was looking at getting everything from kerma, cam turbo and tune.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 12:00   #9
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Hate to brake it to you, no matter what turbo you get, you will have oil in your pipes. All the turbos that are direct for these cars are all journal bearings. This is how they work, its part of what happens and your going to have to live with a bit of oil in your boost pipes. Take off the lower boost pipe on the intercooler and measure how much oil comes out when its warmed up, should be about 1 cup MAX. Let it drain over night too. Unless you go to a water cooled closed bearing turbo, your not going to get away from this, ever. This oil is actually one of the many reasons the tdi's last so long. You can go buy whatever parts you want, but i dont like to see people toss money away at something that did not need replacing, from a repair point of view. #1 best way to get mileage is to change the nozzles. More efficient spray pattern.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 12:04   #10
Mongler98
Veteran Member

You can fix the leak on the turbo. take the bell off 4 bolts, clean it up, replace the oring if it has one or a tiny and i mean TINY thin layer of RTV. and i mean like the smallest amount ever. its just to stop the leaking. That repair is not difficult. You need to measure the oil loss INSIDE your system to diagnose your issues. Also a measurement of the turbo shafts play would help big time. there should be almost NON front to back and a small almost unnoticeable amount side to side but still enough to see or feel. Also, my new gt2052 has some oil wetness coming form the turbos compressor. its normal and part of the joy of a TDI.

Last edited by Mongler98; December 22nd, 2017 at 12:21.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 13:11   #11
jlcunlimited

Well I would reseal it but with the miles on it and not knowing all the history I would feel better just replacing it. What is funny and one of the reasons I went away from this web site is no one has really has answered my question. Everyone wants to know why I am doing something and telling me why not to instead of answering my question. I have been a Nissan and Infiniti tech since 1991 and building aircooled VWs since the 80s and know how and why things fail and work. I just want to know what products out are recommended for my application now. I know when I did first TDI rocketchip was the best for tuning. I got away from this site after I built my Jettit back in 06 with how negative people were especially toward people that are certified techs.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 14:30   #12
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Attitude on the interweb, whoda thunk it. I assure you folks are just trying to help. Thick skin.
As answer BuzzKen sells decent pipes.
If it were my car I might put in a bigger turbo (Garret VNT-17), inspect the cam and tune.
Also answered, tune will get you to 170 hp, sounds nice to me. Do you want more?
TDI Power Enhancements
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 14:35   #13
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcunlimited View Post
Hi I've been gone for awhile and I just picked up a 04 Jetta with 200k on it and plan on some upgrades like turbo, cam, exhaust and tune. I know what cam and turbo I'm going with but I am looking for a 2.5 inch exhaust and wondering who to use for the tune. I live near Tacoma Washington.
For an exhaust, BuzzKen makes a nice exhaust. Albeit a little pricey, it's worth it but doesn't offer much of a performance gain.

As for tuning, really any of the reputable tuners are good. My suggestion would be the one that you feel comfortable with and responds to emails the quickest. Also, I suggest speaking with your tuner about your plans and expectations for your vehicle, BEFORE purchasing any upgrades. RocketChip, KERMA, Malone and TDTuning are all good tuners.

Turbos: again, I would suggest speaking with all of the tuners. They will guide you in the right direction.

Hopefully you stick around more this time and hopefully I helped answer your question(s).

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 14:59   #14
jlcunlimited

Thank you for answering my questions. I am on a couple of forums and this one seems to be the worst for getting good information unless you get aggressive. Thanks for the information. Just an FYI the best forum that I am on is for my cam am and when it came to upgrades the first thing everyone asked was what what are your plans. Thanks again for the help I think I am just going to order all my stuff from kerma.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 15:13   #15
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcunlimited View Post
...I think I am just going to order all my stuff from kerma.
Cascade German is in Portland.

Last edited by 1854sailor; December 30th, 2017 at 16:08.
1854sailor is offline   Reply With Quote