www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 24th, 2017, 17:11   #31
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

A co-worker recently was looking for part of a window switch mechanism for a customer. It was easier to look it up in ETKA by VIN so she grabbed one - mine. For a moment she didn't understand why she couldn't find the window switches, then she realized. Manual windows. She got trolled by my car.
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:42   #32
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIDDY_UP_GO View Post
Nice looking Golf! What is the color code and name?

Jazz Blue *I think*. I got the color code off the trunk tag and looked it up (I forget the code now).
Old December 26th, 2017, 10:16   #33
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

I bought some paint from this site, but now use it for reference:http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...gen/1999/golf/
JB05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 20:17   #34
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

"Saw a Beamer on US131 that was simliar in color the other day, looked good"-Think it's called Laguna Seca blue (if you're thinking what I'm thinking). One of my favorite M3 colors....
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 06:21   #35
oilhammer

Patience paid off, I got the turbocharger actuator bolts out finally, soaked them with PB Blaster every week for a month, turned them back and forth a wee bit, and eventually they both came out without any damage.

So new Garrett actuator installed, went for a test drive.... no idea how long they were putting around with no boost, but it must have been a while. Pretty sure you could see that smoke cloud from space.

All cleared up now, runs fantastic again but a little smokey. Going to run some BG cleaner through the tank and top up with fresh fuel.

Changed the oil, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, new battery, took the bald Chinapops off and put some used take offs on it for now (had some already on wheels).

Still need to address the shifter. It is pretty awful. But at least it is driveable again!
Old March 5th, 2018, 06:43   #36
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Our local guru only drives post-blown turbo TDIs at night initially to prevent getting pulled over for the fog. Once the oil is out of the exhaust things get better.
Old March 5th, 2018, 06:46   #37
sawmilldon
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Wagon

Oilhammer, Do you need a shift tower from an 02J?

I just pulled one out of mine when I put in the short shifter if you want this one...
sawmilldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 07:53   #38
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawmilldon View Post
Oilhammer, Do you need a shift tower from an 02J?

I just pulled one out of mine when I put in the short shifter if you want this one...

Someone was supposed to send me some shifter parts, but never did... and I do not even think he had everything I needed.

So yes, if you have something that would be awesome.

You can send them to the shop here, let me know what I owe you.

Thanks!
Old March 5th, 2018, 11:21   #39
oilhammer

Test drive today revealed it needs a thermostat, and it still has the early ALH hot restart issue. Good time to RC2 the sumbich!
Old March 5th, 2018, 11:27   #40
sawmilldon
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Someone was supposed to send me some shifter parts, but never did... and I do not even think he had everything I needed.
So yes, if you have something that would be awesome.
You can send them to the shop here, let me know what I owe you.
Thanks!
I will head by the shop and snap a pic of the tower just to make sure it is what you need.
sawmilldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 17:03   #41
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Do yourself a favor and grab the shift linkage off a later MK4. Makes a HUGE difference.
turbocharged798 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 18:10   #42
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

I drove three of my TDIs today. Drove the '99.5 Golf to work and on some errands, then the B4 Passat later in the day, and finally my '02 Wagon. The '99.5 shifts differently than the '02, but I wouldn't say it's worse. Throws are a little longer, but the shifts take less effort. The '02 has a TT shifter, so that may make a difference. But I'm going to risk flaming here and say that the B4 shifts smoothest. Sure, throws are long, but it's a pleasure. And although all the shifters are in good shape, these are cars with north of 250K on them (one is way north of that) so they may not shift as the engineers intended. But I prefer all three to the 02Q gearbox in the '15.
Old March 6th, 2018, 18:23   #43
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Sure, throws are long, but it's a pleasure.
Long throws? You would like my '82 Ford F350. Like notchy shifting? Got that covered too!
Old March 7th, 2018, 03:53   #44
oilhammer

This car's linkage is actually MISSING something. I can find all the gears, but it takes finesse. There is a bushing or something in the shifter box area that is just flat gone.

But, I also have an issue with the turbo. Keeps overboosting. I have adjusted the rod on the new actuator up and down, makes no difference. The VNT arm feels like it moves freely. N75 seems fine, at least when I test it on the bench. But if I graph the boost, it repeatedly pegs off the chart actual if I get on it much at all, and if I stay in it, it'll go limp.

I did drive it home last night, so it was the first time I actually got to drive it any real distance. It went limp repeatedly on the highway, and eventually the quick key cycle trick was useless. Just drove it the rest of the way home at a leisurely 70 while floorboarded.

Other than that, and the seriously tired struts/shocks, and the abysmal clouded over headlights, it drives pretty good. I forget how much quicker the heat starts working with a functional EGR cooler too.

I know I have a few used late ALH VNT15s in The Archives, I may put one of those on there although I kind of would like to put something bigger on there just for fun. Although RC2 + the stock turbo on the ALH is a pretty decent running package to me. Needs to have the software changed anyway.
Old March 7th, 2018, 04:36   #45
whitedog
Veteran Member

OH, does it look like anyone messed with the stop screw on the turbo? I got a guy that keeps over boosting and I finally noticed that the screw was flush with the lock nut.