www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 4th, 2018, 20:12   #16
KLXD
Veteran Member

What's leftover pizza?

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 13:07   #17
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
I also wonder if I should have leftover pizza for breakfast or save it for lunch.
No matter when you decide to eat... buy an air fryer... the absolute best way to reheat a few slices of pizza.
Old February 26th, 2018, 09:37   #18
mrseadog

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta

I have been using Rotella T6 for the last 10 years and have been satisfied with the results. My oil change interval is every 5000 miles.

For what it is worth for those that have Rural King nearby they sell a house brand (Harvest King) 5w-40 synthetic for less than Rotella T6. I haven't been by to check if it is rated CF4 or better. If it is I might give it a go. They sell it in 1 gal, 2 gal, and 5 gal quantities.

Edit: Understand it is CJ4 if my internet search is correct.

Last edited by mrseadog; February 26th, 2018 at 09:49.
mrseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 14:21   #19
alally

Fuel Economy: 41 mpg average

I decided to change my own oil when I was quoted $90 from Jiffy Lube. 90 bucks for an oil change? The Ford dealer charges me $40 to change the oil in my Cmax. I usually change my own oil, but I was feeling lazy. But not that lazy. I got the 5 qt. bottle of 5w-40 Castrol full synthetic for $28, with a $10 rebate, and the Wix filter element for $12 at O'Reilly's. Then after watching a couple of You Tube videos and reading some posts on this website, I got to work. I think it was that I've never had a car with plastic cowls over the bottom and top of the engine that kind of gave me the jitters. But once that was out of the way it is just a standard oil change.

There was a complication: I nudged the plastic dip-stick tube, and it busted right off. I was greatly miffed, as it was a Sunday afternoon, and I am 30 miles from the nearest VW dealer. I had no idea if these things were even available (Sure we can get one in, it's $100, & it'll be 10-15 business days). But I found some on partsgeek, and when I waited til the next day, the VW place had them for $23 in stock. So I get it home, and it fit on the little flange on the engine block OK. I put everything back together, and when I filled it with the 4.8 qts of oil the manual says it takes, it barely touched the dipstick. I added the rest of the 5 qt bottle and a half a qt from another bottle before it hit full on the stick. Then the thought hit me - what if this is the wrong tube, that is too long, making you think there is the right amount of oil when you have actually overfilled it? So I took it all apart to compare the new tube with the old one - they were both the same length. So for some reason I guess my oil pan takes 5.5 qts of oil.
Another problem is that the dipstick is a little on the big side for this tube, so when I pull the stick out, it pulls the tube right out with it! Guess I have to file it down a bit, and get the tube to stay on the engine better somehow.
alally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 14:50   #20
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

5.5 quarts should be about a quart overfilled. Probably not enough to worry about though. Maybe the dip tube isn't fully seated.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 17:14   #21
mrseadog

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alally View Post

There was a complication: I nudged the plastic dip-stick tube, and it busted right off. I was greatly miffed, as it was a Sunday afternoon, and I am 30 miles from the nearest VW dealer. I had no idea if these things were even available (Sure we can get one in, it's $100, & it'll be 10-15 business days). But I found some on partsgeek, and when I waited til the next day, the VW place had them for $23 in stock. So I get it home, and it fit on the little flange on the engine block OK. I put everything back together, and when I filled it with the 4.8 qts of oil the manual says it takes, it barely touched the dipstick. I added the rest of the 5 qt bottle and a half a qt from another bottle before it hit full on the stick. Then the thought hit me - what if this is the wrong tube, that is too long, making you think there is the right amount of oil when you have actually overfilled it? So I took it all apart to compare the new tube with the old one - they were both the same length. So for some reason I guess my oil pan takes 5.5 qts of oil.
Another problem is that the dipstick is a little on the big side for this tube, so when I pull the stick out, it pulls the tube right out with it! Guess I have to file it down a bit, and get the tube to stay on the engine better somehow.
The replacement oil tube may not be fully seated and therefore sitting high. The oil tube should grab onto a small detent holding it in place. If it comes off when the dipstick is pulled something is amiss.
mrseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 19:41   #22
whitedog
Veteran Member

So now you are at about $70 for the oil change plus it would be a good idea to drain off some of the excess oil. Add in your time that you could have spent doing something else and that $90 oil change isn't looking too bad.
Old February 28th, 2018, 07:05   #23
KLXD
Veteran Member

Yeahbut the Jiffylubers prolly would've broken it too.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 12:32   #24
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Only after they put in the wrong oil. And stripped the drain plug.

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote