www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old December 16th, 2017, 16:52   #16
jwm470

In my part of the country hipsters do not roll coal, hillbillies...absolutely!
jwm470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 20:53   #17
Yourbuddysatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
20% of most thread here are communication with OP's. 80% is the rest of us talking about, learning, comparing, and arguing! I would say that 99% of the posters who ask, "How do i more power" are not the ones who are active on this site enough to hear back from them. Most of them are "How do i roll coal" and other 16yo vdubber wannabee hipsters!

So true haha well said!!!
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 13:50   #18
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I live in a rural county and every diesel powered vehicle I see here rolls coal on tip in. If you were a hipster out here, Billy Bob and his half-sister Jo Bob would woop yur butt 'cause if you ain't Country, you ain't sh!t. Which make me wonder; does that mean if you are Country, you are sh!t?
All kidding aside, j/k, last time I checked, if you buy a tune from Kerma and then upgrade your hardware also from Kerma he upgrades the tune for free.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 17:43   #19
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Amazing how these pickup truck tuners are either too lazy or incapable of mapping boost vs fueling in the ECU. I am no environmental nut my any means but I don't get the ridiculous smoke that some of these trucks put out. It just shows piss poor tuning skills.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 18:10   #20
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
Amazing how these pickup truck tuners are either too lazy or incapable of mapping boost vs fueling in the ECU. I am no environmental nut my any means but I don't get the ridiculous smoke that some of these trucks put out. It just shows piss poor tuning skills.
Either Lazy, or cheap.
The cheapest way to make power past a certain point in upgrades is just to dump fvckloads of fuel into the engine. In this case, smoke is due to the exponential cost of extra HP for parts vs just more fuel. This is why the Lazy do it, it’s cool, it’s fun, and it’s for dush's. Same can be made for saggy pants showing off underwear. Consequence of lack of funds for jails and those who get out of jail and must wear clothing that they had but they lost all the lbs in jail and now have saggy clothing, so now future generations do the same thing because they idolize the "strong/stupid"

My TDI smokes enough to "roll coal" its fun to do at Porsche events PCA autocross and what not but it’s not like a 1mpg Cummins smoke stack. It’s a result of cheap power, not lazy. I have a skitz mad tune stage 6 from Malone on a GT2052wg with .764 on a ported head with a colt cam and stage 2 clutch enduro SBC on a stock block wishing for death! See my videos for how much smoke I make. It’s not that bad but still it’s bad until the boost kicks in. As it is, I build 13psi by 16K and at 2100 I’m at 31-32.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWX8yO3cgE&t=1s

Most guys in those trucks just buy parts and slap them on to make more power. NO TUNING. $200 bulldog slapstick ECU. Up the boost and nozzles.

In MD it's 100% legal as long as the smoke is dissipated enough to see headlights though it after 10 seconds.

Last edited by Mongler98; December 17th, 2017 at 18:15.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 18:22   #21
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
I always thought that the tune was after you did fuel and turbo because your tune needs to reflect what you have, not what your going to do, right?
You are correct. I had a retune done after each change. Many followed by a dyno tune. With Sprint 520 nozzles an an 11 mm pump, I was passed the capacity of my stock turbo.

Then I changed to the GTC1549VZ turbo and race 520 nozzles. Had to detune to keep the clutch from slipping. Dropped peak torque down to 285 lb/ ft at front wheels to keep clutch in control.

No doubt a stronger clutch would have let my tune approach 350 lb/ft. But that would have required a rod upgrade and mo re.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 16:37   #22
Yourbuddysatin

666 hahaha
Old December 18th, 2017, 17:27   #23
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbuddysatin View Post
666 hahaha
:d :d
Old December 18th, 2017, 20:43   #24
Yourbuddysatin

I have an 06 Cummins which is how I got into diesels. Itís strange the difference between the tuning of the truck compared to the tdi. The programmer is power on demand. With the cAtcher software it can be changed while driving. I never tried but thatís what smarty says can be done. Being a common rail with EFI the fueling really is never a problem until high horse power achievements are sought after. But itís like the fueling is always overkill at low rpm with delayed throttle response. So I put it to the floor at 1500rpm and it bellows smoke when Iím in tow mode or performance. I guess itís easier to just dump fuel and let the engine catch up to make power in the higher rpms. Just very generic and unrefined. Great truck though.
Old December 19th, 2017, 08:07   #25
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Without fuel, no spool there is--Yoda
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 07:22   #26
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
Without fuel, no spool there is--Yoda

This...

BTU's are what drive the turbo. They all have tip in smoke. Even OEM on stock tunes.. Today that is removed through the DPF.

OH and yeah... your ALH, AHU, 1Z all did too when they were new. The cat that came on them was more of a particulate trap than anything else.

Careful when knocking the diesel truck guys, there is far more going on then you think! The problem is kids want to look cool and specifically ask for more "coal". And like was said earlier... its cheap and easy to add fuel... then again.. fuel is the diesel engines throttle.. we wont always have an ideal stoic for a given throttle position as a gasoline engine does. Not even near the archaic carburetor.

All black smoke is wasted and unutilized power... period.

I am surprised there hasn't been more legislation against it. About 10 years back there was a lot of negative publicity against it and politicians were taking notice. It was even reported by the national news outlets. The OEMs started to implement anti programming measures in the ECU's to make the EPA happy about it.. which was quickly bypassed. Even on the truck forums it began to have a bad taste and many were shedding the light to those that wanted more smoke. Its not cool. But hey some of you are and we all were kids...they are going to do what they want to until they learn the hard way that its just not worth it.

My sole purpose for compounding.... eliminate as much smoke as possible.. and lower egts lol.
Old December 20th, 2017, 08:35   #27
Yourbuddysatin

I myself don’t really care for smoke coming from my Cummins or tdi. I want the power. Less wasted fuel is more power.
Old December 20th, 2017, 14:11   #28
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbuddysatin View Post
I myself donít really care for smoke coming from my Cummins or tdi. I want the power. Less wasted fuel is more power.
Well do a few mods, then shoot some NOS. You dont get any power from NOS unless your car smokes from power mods.
Old December 20th, 2017, 16:52   #29
Yourbuddysatin

Quote:
Well do a few mods, then shoot some NOS. You dont get any power from NOS unless your car smokes from power mods.
Haha very true
Old December 20th, 2017, 20:32   #30
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Im kinda pissed my exhaust has a hole in it. I could shoot smoke rings out at any gears 1-3 provided i am not moving fast enough for the wind to F them up. NICE big smoke rings, like 50 per second but only at low rpm, 500-1200 WOT. It was because the gt2052 has a 2.5" pipe attached to it for the collar flange then it goes into 3" right away and makes that vortex happen. i did not plan on it but its awesome. i gata fix that exhaust. Dam heat wrap does not mix well with cheep aluminized steel pipe.