www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 4th, 2017, 16:50   #46
Dpthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird67 View Post
Also: is it stated anywhere in the 3.0 materials we owners received from VW a deadline by which we must submit to the "fix"? I have read through the materials multiple times, and also searched the online sites, and I cannot find it anywhere.
To make sure my question is clear, for those of us who agreed to the "fix" settlement, took Bosch's two payments and VW's first installment payment, is there a deadline by which we must schedule our "fix" to take place?
Gen 1 eligible vehicles have a 9/30/19 deadline and Gen 2 eligible vehicles have a deadline of 4/30/2020.
Dpthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 18:44   #47
tootall424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpthomas View Post
Gen 1 eligible vehicles have a 9/30/19 deadline and Gen 2 eligible vehicles have a deadline of 4/30/2020.
Is that for Gen1 buyback or fix? Or is it for both? I am guessing it is both.
Old December 9th, 2017, 07:30   #48
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

Got my touareg fixed yesterday. Noticed pulling out of lot the car is completely neutered withiin the first mile. Not sure how long I can stand it. I kinda have a heavy foot and car is not the same. Trying to decide if the car will relearn my driving habits or not.

Seriously considering a tune immediately.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 15:26   #49
bird67
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash_TDI View Post
Got my touareg fixed yesterday. Noticed pulling out of lot the car is completely neutered withiin the first mile. Not sure how long I can stand it. I kinda have a heavy foot and car is not the same. Trying to decide if the car will relearn my driving habits or not.
Seriously considering a tune immediately.
Nash, will you please repost here after you've driven it a while? Maybe 500 miles or so? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in your impressions. Your first impression is very discouraging - so only hope is that the car can "learn" your driving preferences and/or grow back its testicles.
Old December 10th, 2017, 19:38   #50
Lionel_Hutz

TDI(s): Touareg

We had our Touareg "fixed" last week. Traded it in for a CX-9 within a week and will never go back to VW. The repair made the Touareg randomly fall flat on its face, to the point that it could be dangerous trying to pull across an intersection. Diesel noise was more pronounced, plus a host of new pump and whining noises. It also held gears longer in city driving, which will definitely affect MPG. Glad to be done with the dieselgate mess, but furious with what CARB/EPA let VW get away with on these models.
Lionel_Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 17:28   #51
flargabarg
Veteran Member

If I owned one of these I would be tempted to get a Sprint Booster, because it sounds like they changed the throttle mapping and that is a cheap fix.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 10:31   #52
bird67
Veteran Member

Two posters on this site - Dyehead and Lionel-Hutz - are among those who have posted bad outcomes following the "fix." According to sigs, both are in California. Any possibility that meeting Cali air quality standards makes the fix affect performance differently than in non-Cali air quality standard locations? Obviously it's a tiny sample size...but until there are enough miles on enough "fixed" vehicles to draw legitimate conclusions, we get to speculate together. I'm interested because I've decided to forego the "fix" (and the 2nd half of my bribe money) for a while, or until my extended warranty expires, whichever comes first.
Old December 12th, 2017, 11:27   #53
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

OP is from Texas with bad results.
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 11:36   #54
OmniGLH

Fuel Economy: Best? 37.4 highway over 50 miles

Had my 2014 Cayenne fixed last week. I'm in Chicago.

Don't notice any increased noise - though the coldest I've seen the coolant temp is ~50F after sitting in an open-air garage during the day while I'm at work (home garage is heated.) Some folks on Rennlist have speculated that it just doesn't get cold enough to generate the extra noise folks are complaining about.

Torque converter seems to stay "open" much longer when cold - now doesn't lockup until 4th gear until the car fully warms up. This doesn't surprise me - more revs = more exhaust flow = more heat in the converter = converter heats up faster = lower emissions sooner into the drive cycle.

Once fully warmed up though I can't say I feel that much of a difference, now that I've put ~500 miles on it. The initial drive or two after picking it up felt different but it seems once it "learns" its normal. Enough so that I bet if I wasn't *looking for* a difference I might not be able to tell.

Fuel mileage doesn't *appear* to be unchanged.... tho time will tell. Weather tanked here in the last week, and I do recall a difference in fuel economy in the winter. Last full tank was a little short on overall distance but I also don't know that the dealer *completely* topped it off (gauge did read "F" though, and I took it in with ~30 miles remaining.)
OmniGLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 13:29   #55
bhuizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniGLH View Post
Had my 2014 Cayenne fixed last week. I'm in Chicago.

Don't notice any increased noise - though the coldest I've seen the coolant temp is ~50F after sitting in an open-air garage during the day while I'm at work (home garage is heated.) Some folks on Rennlist have speculated that it just doesn't get cold enough to generate the extra noise folks are complaining about.

Torque converter seems to stay "open" much longer when cold - now doesn't lockup until 4th gear until the car fully warms up. This doesn't surprise me - more revs = more exhaust flow = more heat in the converter = converter heats up faster = lower emissions sooner into the drive cycle.

Once fully warmed up though I can't say I feel that much of a difference, now that I've put ~500 miles on it. The initial drive or two after picking it up felt different but it seems once it "learns" its normal. Enough so that I bet if I wasn't *looking for* a difference I might not be able to tell.

Fuel mileage doesn't *appear* to be unchanged.... tho time will tell. Weather tanked here in the last week, and I do recall a difference in fuel economy in the winter. Last full tank was a little short on overall distance but I also don't know that the dealer *completely* topped it off (gauge did read "F" though, and I took it in with ~30 miles remaining.)
I couldn't have said it better in regards to power, my opinions are the same. I can't tell when it's warming up if it is the loose converter or excess EGR that pulls the power down. Regardless the thing gets up to temp quick. I can't stand the shift patterns while warming up, it feels like its in sport mode while driving around town and wont upshift. Once it's warmed up it's fine.

I just put fuel in mine last night after running through the first tank. I could have went a lot further as the low fuel light just came on, but just decided to fill up. I had 575 miles on the trip meter and put in 24 gallons, which puts it right at 24 mpg hand calculated. That's with winter blend fuel, probably an hour or more of total idle time throughout the tank to defrost in the mornings, and 75% hwy (60mph), 25% city driving on my 15 minute drive to work. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by bhuizer; December 12th, 2017 at 14:04.
bhuizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 09:01   #56
dyehead

As I've posted in the other thread - Audi has had my car for a couple of days and is still looking into it. The shop foreman agreed that the driving characteristics have been changed drastically. I share the same symptons as Lionel Hutz.

Freeway driving is no problem, it's the stop-and-go city driving that is more a crap shoot. I'm not racing between lights, but I do like to move when needed and it's kinda scary.
dyehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 09:47   #57
Q5TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Q5

This thread is concerning. Someone should write a letter to Judge Breyer at the Northern District of California (the judge handing the case) and to the EPA and CARB, notifying them of these issues.
Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 14:05   #58
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5TDI View Post
This thread is concerning. Someone should write a letter to Judge Breyer at the Northern District of California (the judge handing the case) and to the EPA and CARB, notifying them of these issues.
Iím sure itíll go right to his desk and heíll get right on it. Not. The class attorneys are supposed to be our recourse.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (sold back to VW, May, 2018)
2015 Golf TDI 22K Miles (sonís)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 15:25   #59
Q5TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Iím sure itíll go right to his desk and heíll get right on it. Not. The class attorneys are supposed to be our recourse.
All righty then, a letter to the "class attorneys." Class attorneys is quite the oxymoron.
Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 15:54   #60
dyehead

Who the hell writes letters anymore? Is there an email address for them?
dyehead is offline   Reply With Quote