www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old November 13th, 2017, 09:24   #16
Motodude
Veteran Member

On the phone w claims now, they are saying we should get a full tank.
Motodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 09:47   #17
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodude View Post
On the phone w claims now, they are saying we should get a full tank.
The literature CLEARLY states that it should be filled.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 10:07   #18
Motodude
Veteran Member

I am dropping off a 2nd one today at the same dealership. Claims is supposedly calling the dealership and telling them full tank. We will see. And they said they will also fill the 1st one I had done. We will see. I will update.
Motodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 10:08   #19
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

I think my audi dealer was honest to refill a full tank of diesel. Because the tank was almost empty before refill and after the hand was over the first mark. If only $40 refill then it's only 16 gallons at $2.5 a gallon and the tank size is 26.8 gallons.

Can't be only $40 worth of diesel.
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 09:55   #20
MBQ
Veteran Member

So after driving two fixed Q7 for two weeks, I've decided that I don't like the fix at all. The main reason is loss of the low-mid end torque. The fuel pedal became very loose, easy to be floored. Even so the car is not as powerful. I rarely needed to floor the pedal before the fix. It's just lacking that tight pulling force.

Honestly it drives not even as fun as the newer gasser version(I loaned a 2018 Q5 2.0T gasser and a 2018 Q7 3.0T gasser). And I don't even care much about the fuel economy.

I really think EPA/CARB let VW go too easily. They showed great leniency to VW but totally discarded how gen2 car owners would feel. Even if they managed to reserve the peak power/peak torque, that still means squat if the power output curve got changed dramatically.

The approval is a compromised political move, not a pure technical one. If keeping one car, I'll definitely Malone tune it, get 339 in horse power and 528lb.ft in torque

Last edited by MBQ; December 4th, 2017 at 07:55.
Old November 25th, 2017, 14:50   #21
bird67
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQ View Post
So after driving two fixed Q7 for two weeks, I've decided that I don't like the fix at all. The main reason is loss of the lower end torque. The fuel peddle became very loose, easy to be floored. Even so the car is not as powerful. I barely floored the peddle before. It's just lacking that tight pulling force.

Honestly it drives not even as fun as the newer gasser version(I loaned a 2018 Q5 2.0T gasserand a 2018 Q7 3.0T gasser). And I don't even care much about the fuel economy.

I really think EPA/CARB let VW go too easily. They showed great leniency to VW but totally discarded how gen2 car owners feel. Even if they managed to reserve the peak power/peak torque, that means squat if the power output curve got changed.

The approval is a compromised political move, not a pure technical one. If keeping one car, I'll definitely Malone tune it, get 339 in horse power and 528lb.ft in torque
MBQ, if you had it to do over, would you still have pulled the trigger on the "fix" this early, rather than waiting?

My plan has been to wait and enjoy my 3.0 Gen 2 in its un"fixed" state until the last possible moment. The downsides of doing so I guess are that VW gets to hold on to the second half of my "fix" money, and the risk that something catastrophic happens to the vehicle before I get it fixed.

The second half of my "fix" money comes to around 3750 IIRC. If your experience is the norm, I think I'd rather delay as long as possible, foregoing the immediate cash and assuming the catastrophic risk. If given a do-over for your own personal vehicle, WWMBQD?
Old November 25th, 2017, 15:42   #22
bird67
Veteran Member

Also: is it stated anywhere in the 3.0 materials we owners received from VW a deadline by which we must submit to the "fix"? I have read through the materials multiple times, and also searched the online sites, and I cannot find it anywhere.

To make sure my question is clear, for those of us who agreed to the "fix" settlement, took Bosch's two payments and VW's first installment payment, is there a deadline by which we must schedule our "fix" to take place?
Old November 25th, 2017, 15:52   #23
MBQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird67 View Post
MBQ, if you had it to do over, would you still have pulled the trigger on the "fix" this early, rather than waiting?
My plan has been to wait and enjoy my 3.0 Gen 2 in its un"fixed" state until the last possible moment. The downsides of doing so I guess are that VW gets to hold on to the second half of my "fix" money, and the risk that something catastrophic happens to the vehicle before I get it fixed.
The second half of my "fix" money comes to around 3750 IIRC. If your experience is the norm, I think I'd rather delay as long as possible, foregoing the immediate cash and assuming the catastrophic risk. If given a do-over for your own personal vehicle, WWMBQD?
I would never have done the fix if it's my only ride and if I knew the result. I sent it for fix the first chance I got for the sake of unloading it quickly.

From very early on, the partial consent decree did not even mention the dose of DEF usage and that's very suspicious, and it states that "all the scientists from both parties looked at the proposal and agreed that a ECR is highly likely", which essentially gave VW the green light to do whatever they want (performance be damned) to just bring down the emission. After the fix the car is now far far away from what it was initially designed to be.

The PSC lawyers can still demand a buyback if there are enough complains from the owners, according to the language of the settlement but now they have very little incentives to do so.
Old November 25th, 2017, 15:53   #24
MBQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird67 View Post
Also: is it stated anywhere in the 3.0 materials we owners received from VW a deadline by which we must submit to the "fix"? I have read through the materials multiple times, and also searched the online sites, and I cannot find it anywhere.

To make sure my question is clear, for those of us who agreed to the "fix" settlement, took Bosch's two payments and VW's first installment payment, is there a deadline by which we must schedule our "fix" to take place?
I think it's around 12/1/2019.
Old November 25th, 2017, 16:03   #25
MBQ
Veteran Member

On another note, the service manager of the audi dealer fixing my cars told me that there are many owners who are just outright angry and refuse to "fix" their car. Guess they have good reasons to.
Old November 25th, 2017, 16:34   #26
truman
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=MBQ;5352432]So after driving two fixed Q7 for two weeks, I've decided that I don't like the fix at all. The main reason is loss of the lower end torque. The fuel pedal became very loose, easy to be floored. Even so the car is not as powerful. I rarely needed to floor the pedal before. It's just lacking that tight pulling force.

Honestly it drives not even as fun as the newer gasser version(I loaned a 2018 Q5 2.0T gasserand a 2018 Q7 3.0T gasser). And I don't even care much about the fuel economy.

I really think EPA/CARB let VW go too easily. They showed great leniency to VW but totally discarded how gen2 car owners would feel. Even if they managed to reserve the peak power/peak torque, that means squat if the power output curve got changed dramatically.

The approval is a compromised political move, not a pure technical one. If keeping one car, I'll definitely Malone tune it, get 339 in horse power and 528lb.ft in torque[/QUOTE]

IMO the FIX is only about making the government and attorneys feel whole. The owners are only an impediment to the process. When you get in bed with the government and attorneys, you can expect more than a good night's sleep.
truman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 18:15   #27
bhuizer

I was a little nervous to pick up my Touareg today after reading this thread. However, the changes were not as bad as I expected. A little bit more detonation/diesel noise when driving around town and on cold start. The best way I can describe the power change isn't exactly a decrease in power, it's more that the transmission doesn't let you ride the torque curve quite as much. It revs more freely to above 3k rpms when doing an aggressive accel vs before it would short shift and ride the torque and build more boost. Mileage seems pretty close to the same on my 40 mile trip.

All in all, definitely worth the $9500 bucks plus extended warranty. I'll take it.
bhuizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 19:17   #28
bird67
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuizer View Post
The best way I can describe the power change isn't exactly a decrease in power, it's more that the transmission doesn't let you ride the torque curve quite as much. It revs more freely to above 3k rpms when doing an aggressive accel vs before it would short shift and ride the torque and build more boost.
Any chance that the transmission "learns" the driver's habits and returns at least some of the previous torque? I'd be patient if I knew it might take a few tanks of fuel to get it back to the performance I've enjoyed.
Old November 28th, 2017, 17:59   #29
bhuizer

Quick Update, I had a 40 mile trip today with an average speed of 65-70 mph and the computer said 29.5 mpg which was not too bad. Then on my 15 mile drive home from work which I typically get excellent mpgs (30-34 mpg), today I had an average of 25.5 on the trip computer with a cruising speed of 60mph. I always have the average "from start" mpg on my display and watch it daily, that is the lowest average I have ever had on this trip by a good margin. On a completely flat road the instant economy was showing 28-29 mpg with zero wind. I have never seen it that low either of my Gen-1 or Gen-2 3.0 Tregs. I'm not sure if it was doing a regen or what, but hopefully that isn't a sign of the new normal.

Last edited by bhuizer; November 28th, 2017 at 18:03.
bhuizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 10:31   #30
dunerking
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI

The wife hasn't picked up the Cayenne yet,but I will say that VW transferred the 2nd half of the restitution money yesterday. I'm hoping to not be to disappointed after this fix.
04 Jetta-5 speed
dunerking is offline   Reply With Quote