www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 28th, 2018, 18:00   #256
lord diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkstar View Post
I looks like weather is definitely a factor in perceived differences. I can see how Canadians like myself will be dragging their feet. Long Winters combined with a relatively short commute is probably the worst as that goes.
It may be a good idea to stock some of these old parts if they do not cost a fortune.
I called the phone number stated in the letter and after many automated menus I spoke to a rep asking if there was a time constraint for applying this fix and if I can delay. The answer was that I can delay with no limit (?) but at the same time they were so eager to call my dealer and book an appointment for me that it immediately raised a flag. Now I will have to make sure my dealer does not take the initiative and apply the fix during my next regular service visit. I will likely stick a big sign under the hood
I plan on getting the service agent to clearly note in my vehicle file "No Emission fix" on the next visit to the dealer. I like the idea of a sign under the hood and a peel off sticker over the OBDII port.
They "fix" it they will own it!
lord diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 18:00   #257
lord diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkstar View Post
I looks like weather is definitely a factor in perceived differences. I can see how Canadians like myself will be dragging their feet. Long Winters combined with a relatively short commute is probably the worst as that goes.
It may be a good idea to stock some of these old parts if they do not cost a fortune.
I called the phone number stated in the letter and after many automated menus I spoke to a rep asking if there was a time constraint for applying this fix and if I can delay. The answer was that I can delay with no limit (?) but at the same time they were so eager to call my dealer and book an appointment for me that it immediately raised a flag. Now I will have to make sure my dealer does not take the initiative and apply the fix during my next regular service visit. I will likely stick a big sign under the hood
I plan on getting the service agent to clearly note in the vehicle file, "No Emission fix" on the next visit to the dealer. I like the idea of a sign under the hood and a peel off sticker over the OBDII port.
They "fix" it they will own it!
lord diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:26   #258
DUTCH VanAtlanta

Default Diesel Takes a Hit in German Court

Not good news!

DUTCH VanAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:48   #259
truman
Veteran Member

Stick a fork in it- diesel is done. Politically, diesel doesn't have a leg to stand on.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:41   #260
DUTCH VanAtlanta

Default Another Manufacturer to Ditch Diesel?

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/01...iesel-engines/

Sad!
DUTCH VanAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2018, 22:35   #261
dyehead

My Q7 is back at Audi for the NOX system again. They had to order parts from Germany last time.

Glanced over the shoulder of the tech who checked the codes and there were 3 errors. One said something about “performance regulator” or something. Incredibly fishy. They made up some excuse saying it was linked to the NOX system and quickly cleared all the alerts.

From a non mechanic it sure looked like something to do with why the car feels sluggish by the description.

The only thing that makes me think it’s innocuous is that I figure someone would have blown the whistle on something like that but even so, super suspicious.
dyehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 07:49   #262
flargabarg
Veteran Member

You are absolutely reading more in to it than is there. Many of the emissions codes on every car have the word "performance" in the code. It is nothing to do with car performance. It refers to the performance of the emissions system.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 11:32   #263
Cp3zero

TDI(s): Audi Q5
Default Q5 TDI 2014 Fixed (not the same)

Had the repair done last month and took the car back into service to drive around with the service manager. He and I both noticed these differences.

1.Shifting pattern has changed (similar to old sport mode)
This is an annoying way for me to drive my car very jerky and higher RPM's, and the shifting changes happening at awkward moments. No more smooth driving.

2. Diesel engine noticeably louder.
The luxury element of the car's quiet ride is decreased.

3. Way more fumes. The car exhaust is terrible.

Head of service confirmed all of these. If I could go back, I would have rejected the 9k and left it as is. It truly was a great car before, and now its avg.
Cp3zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 14:13   #264
2014Q5TDI

TDI(s): 2014 Q5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp3zero View Post
Had the repair done last month and took the car back into service to drive around with the service manager. He and I both noticed these differences.
This is an annoying way for me to drive my car very jerky and higher RPM's, and the shifting changes happening at awkward moments. No more smooth driving.
Head of service confirmed all of these. If I could go back, I would have rejected the 9k and left it as is. It truly was a great car before, and now its avg.
I feel your pain! have the same feelings. luckily I have the paddle shifters to get into the higher gears, but I am locked out until it is warmed up. It appears you live in a warm climate. For me it is even worse, as there is a definite difference when the outside temperature is 50 degrees or below for about the first 20 minutes or so, runs at even higher RPM's and stays in low gears needlessly. Have had only a few days over 50 in the last two months since I got it fixed. Recently got my new F350 6.7 Power Stroke pickup. It shifts like the Audi used to, stays at low RPM's and doesn't need to idle at 1000 RPM's during warmup.
2014Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 14:39   #265
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp3zero View Post
I also had the fix done last month, but 1 and 2 were well known changes by then (though you have given them a very negative spin I must say). They ar even in the booklet Audi released to owners. I haven’t experienced 3.

Why did you proceed? It sounds a little like the story of the guy who went to the doctor and said: “it hurts when I go like this.” And the doc says: “don’t go like this.”

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 18:11   #266
dyehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
You are absolutely reading more in to it than is there. Many of the emissions codes on every car have the word "performance" in the code. It is nothing to do with car performance. It refers to the performance of the emissions system.
Thanks for the reassurance, like I said - not a mechanic.

Poor choice of wording I'd say if it has nothing to do with the vehicle performance

Waiting to hear back as to how long it will take to repair.

I also got feedback that I'm not the only one who feels that the changes in both mileage and performance well exceed the agreement in the settlement. Looking forward to more people coming forward over the upcoming months who bought and drove their car on more than straight, flat roads and have some clue of what a change to their vehicle feels like

Needless to say my choice of a new sedan hinged upon how Audi handled this whole situation - ended up with another European manufacturer and am extremely satisfied.
dyehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 09:46   #267
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Here is an example: P043B Catalyst Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

I am not certain what else they could call it, as the sensor is underperforming. It is a term of art and those are often confusing to people not in the industry.

I can totally understand going with another brand. This whole thing has been a mess. I still believe the Gen 2 3.0 should have gotten a buyback.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 14:25   #268
DennisMitchell

Here is my first impression:

Dropped off my 2014 Q5 TDI on Saturday appt with loaner. Told they would work on it first thing Monday. Picked up on Tuesday afternoon.

Drove back from the service department where I picked up my Q5 TDI. The vehicle was cold when picked up. Told me they filled the fuel tank. Fuel tank needle was about 3/4. Typical dealer nonsense. I hope I get a survey. I topped off the tank, took 6 gallons, $19.53. I reset Fuelly for the top off.

Engine sound at cold start was definitely noisier. Vehicle warmed up more quickly. Frankly, the cold and warm driving experience was actually improved. More power from a stop. Must be transmission programming. Fuel economy based on trip computer was fine.

So for the moment I'm happy except the driver seat memory was not working. Brought back today. Tech said it was "conflict between modules". Seat module was reset to factory settings and is working now.
DennisMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 10:37   #269
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

I sent signed/notarized offers back to VW through UPS one month and a half ago after the emission fix for 2 Gen 2 PCs.

Called the claim line and was told they received the returned pack and were noted the emission fix was done. But still haven't received the emails for EFT.

Anyone else in the same boat? Thanks.
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 16:21   #270
DennisMitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQ View Post
I sent signed/notarized offers back to VW through UPS one month and a half ago after the emission fix for 2 Gen 2 PCs.

Called the claim line and was told they received the returned pack and were noted the emission fix was done. But still haven't received the emails for EFT.

Anyone else in the same boat? Thanks.
My recall was done on Monday. I received an email for "Chase Payments" on Tuesday where you accept the payment. Please check your email just in case.
DennisMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote