www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old November 8th, 2017, 12:57   #1
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG
Default First impression of a fixed 3.0L TDI Gen 2

Car is 2014 Audi Q7 prestige. Took the car in yesterday and it's done by lunch today. I was told it took the tech 6 hours to finish the job, Glow plug was changed, plus the conversion kit. Cost to VW? $1450 for parts plus $289 for labor. Here is a screen shot from the service guy:

The engine rpm shifted earlier, the car felt lighter on the go. There were definitely less shifting points for both D and S mode, so the end result is that the car drove like toward the pattern of a gasser. I am not sure I like the fixed version better. I have no way to know change on the fuel economy but I have a lead foot, even if it's somewhat reduced(1-2mpg), I wouldn't have known.

The service guy was not aware to fill my car with a full tank of diesel when handing me the key but he trusted me enough to get it done after I showed him the booklet: Hi I don't want you to be complained by your next customer!
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 13:38   #2
Greg5OH

TDI(s): 13 Q7

interesting about the shifting like you mentioned. I thought the q7 shifted a little weird in D mode, lots of TC slip, them would lock, then upshift etc. In S it felt alot more discrete. Mine is in getting the fix right now, sounds like the shifting will be nicer according to your report.
93 Foxbody-5.3/T56/CobraIRS
13 Q7 TDI Prestige
Greg5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 15:25   #3
bhuizer

Thanks for the update. So did the power feel more like a gasser or just the trans shift points? I'm assuming just the transmission but if so did the engine feel down on torque at all?
bhuizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:07   #4
KDAWG97M3

TDI(s): Q7

I pick my Q7 up today...interested to see this. I did notice on my invoice they said they replaced the glow plug, with a pressure sensor? Did I read it right?

Also where does it say free fill up a diesel? I would like to get mine filled up
KDAWG97M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:11   #5
Greg5OH

TDI(s): 13 Q7

The glowplugs are also pressure transducers. Pretty nifty little devices. It is a revised version of the old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3 View Post
I pick my Q7 up today...interested to see this. I did notice on my invoice they said they replaced the glow plug, with a pressure sensor? Did I read it right?

Also where does it say free fill up a diesel? I would like to get mine filled up
93 Foxbody-5.3/T56/CobraIRS
13 Q7 TDI Prestige
Greg5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:17   #6
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3 View Post

In the literature for the fix. It's on the web and a copy came in my mailbox last night.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:24   #7
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
In the literature for the fix. It's on the web and a copy came in my mailbox last night.
Yep, I need to remember to bring my booklet tomorrow to make sure I get the free tank. Big tank on the T-Reg. The $50 in free diesel will be a nice bonus. I hope mine goes as smoothly as the OP.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:59   #8
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Yep, I need to remember to bring my booklet tomorrow to make sure I get the free tank. Big tank on the T-Reg. The $50 in free diesel will be a nice bonus. I hope mine goes as smoothly as the OP.

Same here. I might highlight that portion.

Hope they fix my issue soon. 1500 miles til I need adblue or sooner. Wish the service included oil change as I changed mine on Tuesday.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:18   #9
psd1
Veteran Member

Free DEF as well!

Old November 9th, 2017, 18:03   #10
KDAWG97M3

TDI(s): Q7

Sooo picked. My car up, free ad blue, 40.00 worth of fuel..,

Only issue I had, when I first picked it up, the car was lurching badly, almost like it was running out of fuel. I stomped on the accelerator and it sputtered, then was fine, I drove it home, and parked it, I drive all day tomorrow, and we will see if it is fixed.........stay tuned

Update....car drives good..different shift points....but drives well...no issues as of today 25 Miles...

Last edited by KDAWG97M3; November 10th, 2017 at 18:48.
KDAWG97M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 20:42   #11
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Well I have driven the Q7 150 miles in two days. I noticed the fuel hand is closer to the second hand, and usually it should be in the position of upward of the middle between the first hand and second hand. Assume the dealer honestly fill the tank 100% full, the mpg reduction is definitely not only 1mpg, more like more than 10%.

If this true, it really blows. Please report back your mpg after some driving here and let's collect some data points.

I have long suspected the approved fix is not a pure technical move, but a political one from CARB/EPA.

Last edited by MBQ; November 10th, 2017 at 20:45.
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 21:51   #12
Motodude
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQ View Post
Well I have driven the Q7 150 miles in two days. I noticed the fuel hand is closer to the second hand, and usually it should be in the position of upward of the middle between the first hand and second hand. Assume the dealer honestly fill the tank 100% full, the mpg reduction is definitely not only 1mpg, more like more than 10%.

If this true, it really blows. Please report back your mpg after some driving here and let's collect some data points.

I have long suspected the approved fix is not a pure technical move, but a political one from CARB/EPA.
They dont fill the tank, they only put in $40 worth of fuel
Motodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 08:13   #13
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodude View Post
They dont fill the tank, they only put in $40 worth of fuel
This isn't what the literature form mother VW says.

Old November 13th, 2017, 08:45   #14
Motodude
Veteran Member

It is misleading. The flyer actually says it will be returned w a full tank of adblue and fuel. The lady at the dealership argued that only means fuel and not a full tank and Audi is only authorizing $40 and showed me the message from Audi saying only $40. Other people on this board are also confirming this. Cheap on audis part. In California it got me 1/4 a tank.
Motodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 09:16   #15
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodude View Post
It is misleading. The flyer actually says it will be returned w a full tank of adblue and fuel. The lady at the dealership argued that only means fuel and not a full tank and Audi is only authorizing $40 and showed me the message from Audi saying only $40. Other people on this board are also confirming this. Cheap on audis part. In California it got me 1/4 a tank.
Good god, how cheap can one get?