www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 21st, 2017, 15:17   #1
Borsig

Default Effect of Malone stage 2 or similar tune on DPF & emissions post modification (EA288)

Its widely speculated that the EPA modification will have a negative impact on the life of the emissions components of the car.

We have no real data on this, but they don't expect the stuff to last, at least not the DPF (which can be deleted and vag-commed out I suppose)

Does the malone tune bring the levels of whatever is negatively working against these componets back to a level where they will last longer? Whats the effect of a stage 2 on DPF, if any?

Borsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 16:36   #2
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

I am 98% confident the Malone tune will make things all better. After I had my fix performed I re-applied my Stage 2 tune and my car is running like a champ again.

I am in no way shape or form the most knowledgeable person here so if I am wrong someone will correct me.
mrmoto35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 16:39   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That tells us nothing about the OP's original question though.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 17:00   #4
Borsig

I'm not sure any one can or will answer it with actual data or reasoning

Old October 23rd, 2017, 17:30   #5
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

Sorry was taking the piss a bit...
It is a tall order to fill. IMO best answer will be informed speculation of course, but really only time can tell. There are so many factors involved. I would think you would need control groups to report findings over time, equipment to pull data, a complete diagram of the Malone mapping, models/model years that are in question (all I assume). This forum would be the best hope to gather all that. Sure someone with engineering experience and all the data in hand can probably give a decent estimate.

The fix was accomplished with an ECU update. I have to believe replacing much of that update with the Malone tune is going to ease the burden on the equipment, if in fact the emissions fix is expected to further burden the emissions equipment. I had not heard that it would or could until now but It makes sense

Last edited by mrmoto35; October 24th, 2017 at 20:19.
mrmoto35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:49   #6
Borsig

Im not sure if they expect it or not, but I would expect at least the DPF to suffer. Also probably the urea system since it is in use more.

Old October 24th, 2017, 18:40   #7
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 286 lbft

My Stage 2 modification has ensured that my DPF will now last forever, growing cobwebs.

Nobody can answer the OP's question, however, not even Mark Malone.
jerrymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:23   #8
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymander View Post
My Stage 2 modification has ensured that my DPF will now last forever, growing cobwebs.

Nobody can answer the OP's question, however, not even Mark Malone.
Likely because admitting changes to software that control emissions devices is not the best legal decision. That said, my DPF will also last forever unless I get the opportunity to sell it one day.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, DC stage 3 w/ SMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:32   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

I believe the stock stage 2 tune doesn’t modify any emissions system operations, it mainly deals with fueling, and throttle tip in. I don’t think its going to help out the DPF/SCR system compared to phase 1 fix, if anything the higher EGTs the tune is pushing (still with in safety limits) could possibly maybe shorten the system lifespan.

Again my crystal ball has been rather foggy so who really knows.
740GLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 01:43   #10
Devilsfuel

I have no idea regarding the malone tune unfortunately but thought I would highlight that on my Mercedes c350 cdi with stage 1 tune and dpf still in place the car runs a regeneration cycle much more, I assume that this is just because of the extra volume of particles it's now having to deal with post modification. I will be removing it soon.
Devilsfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:11   #11
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Remove what - the tune, or the emissions equipment?

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:04   #12
Devilsfuel

the particulate filter, hopefully it would liberate a few hp as well
Devilsfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 18:33   #13
Owain@malonetuning

Just to clarify, he's got an eco tune, we haven't been working with international MBs, just VAG stuff.

It's pretty hard to predict longevity on a system that was updated only a few months ago. I just did before/after testing on a stock EA288, 20 minutes apart on a dynapack. The power is identical as expected, boost and rail pressure were slightly higher, as were EGTs. Within a margin of error but the software shows similar mapping changes. Nothing to write home about, no noticeable changes other than throttle response on post-fix tune.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:02   #14
Borsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
Just to clarify, he's got an eco tune, we haven't been working with international MBs, just VAG stuff.

It's pretty hard to predict longevity on a system that was updated only a few months ago. I just did before/after testing on a stock EA288, 20 minutes apart on a dynapack. The power is identical as expected, boost and rail pressure were slightly higher, as were EGTs. Within a margin of error but the software shows similar mapping changes. Nothing to write home about, no noticeable changes other than throttle response on post-fix tune.
Trust me. It 'feels' like they messed with the DSG WAY more than they did the engine. "D" is now like an ECO mode, and sport is, well... Sport without the annoying gear drop and hold.

Id bet the biggest changes were DEF dosing (fine by me I get it for like 2 bucks a gallon at the fuel co-op) and DSG map.

Old October 29th, 2017, 07:14   #15
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Emissions component life is variable depending on how the operator uses the car and other conditions (trip length, climate, etc.). So I think it's nearly impossible to say that a tune will affect component life one way or another. And we also don't know if the replacement of emissions hardware during the warranty period is preventive or needed.

I think it's not worth worrying about. The hardware is getting less expensive. If you choose to keep it in place and want the car tuned, do it.