www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 19th, 2017, 22:28   #1
Acorcor

Default Lease buyout question

Hi,
I've read a lot of conflicting information, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has experience with this...I have a 2014 Jetta tdi with a lease that expires next week. I am over on miles, at 72000, and have been for a long time. I had planned on buying out the lease so I wasn't concerned about it. I have not completed the paperwork for the early lease termination because I don't want to pay that much in additional mileage, I'm just going to buy out the car. My question is, I have read about people buying out the lease (which is in my husbands name), transferring the title into my name and filing the buyback claim in my name as an owner vs in my husbands name as a lessee. I have also read something about buying your vehicle off of lease after Jan 17 2017, you will always be a lesser. Does that just refer to my husband buying it off lease, or would it apply to me too? Does that make sense? I called and vw credit, 2 dealerships and the settlement number and cannot get a straight answer.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Acorcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:39   #2
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Fourplay is correct.

Step 1: Call or do online chat and cancel the current claim that you have.

Step 2: Buyout your lease

Step 3: Gift or sell your car to someone else (you, or trusted family member or a friend)

Step 4: PROFIT!!!!

Note that they will request current registration, make sure that whoever leased it is NOT on it.

I would recommend using a friend or a relative with different last name and address JUST IN CASE, but you should be fine if you do it from husband to wife or vice versa.
TDIforDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 23:30   #3
Acorcor

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.
I will get this started Mon
Acorcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:53   #4
CamboDude

TDI(s): 2014 Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
You can indeed buy out the lease, have your husband "sell" the car to you, then file a buyback claim for the vehicle. I would make sure to delete your lease claim before you file your buyback claim.

The restrictions on buying after a lease were put in place on 3.0L vehicles - your Jetta is a 2.0L, so the loophole still exists.
Are you saying that for 3.0L cars, you can't buyout the lease, transfer the title to a third party, and have them claim "owner's restitution"?

I'm a Q5 TDI leesee right now and have to decide if I needed to buyout the car.
I already received my first half participation payment from Audi of 1K too.
CamboDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 18:00   #5
Dr Chill
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2016 A8L TDI

Even if you buy out the lease on the 3.0, you are still considered a prior lessee according to the settlement and entitled to a lower payment than an owner.
2015 A8L TDI (Fix 2/7/18, traded in 2/8/18)
2015 A3 TDI (BB 3/9/17)
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 20:02   #6
2literv8eater

TDI(s): 2013 Golf

My wife did the buyback and returned the car 3 months ago. I, then as a former lessee applied and got the money from VW 2 months ago.
Today I received a call from VW saying there was an error and they wanted the former lessee money paid back. I asked that everything in writing be sent to me.
It would suck if I have to pay that money back but I’m not sure they can force this.

Anyone else run into this?
2literv8eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:17   #7
pikawel
Veteran Member

VW is currently trying to give me grief on a vehicle I bought from someone back in April. Apparently they bought it out of a lease. They tell me I need to go on the portal and fill it out as if I'm a lessee which sounds a) fraudulent and b) incorrect.

I left a message with the legal folks. TBD.
pikawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 21:57   #8
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikawel View Post
VW is currently trying to give me grief on a vehicle I bought from someone back in April. Apparently they bought it out of a lease. They tell me I need to go on the portal and fill it out as if I'm a lessee which sounds a) fraudulent and b) incorrect.

I left a message with the legal folks. TBD.
Yup having issues with previously leased vehicles as well. One got rejected
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:51   #9
Mike123

Default This is my dilemma as well

I am a original leasee and the car is a manual passat, so no fix. I bought the car at least end.

I keep wondering if I should just drop my claim, transfer to wife and go that route.

What would you guys do? They claim my claim will be upgraded to buy back? I absolutely HATE that I cannot get a straight answer from ANYONE regarding this, VW, dealer, or otherwise. VW/Audi will NEVER sell me another car in this lifetime because of this run around.
Mike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:45   #10
Mike123

Update: Just called my dealer and they stated that a buyer today is not eligible for the buy back. Are they correct?
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:36   #11
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike123 View Post
Update: Just called my dealer and they stated that a buyer today is not eligible for the buy back. Are they correct?
Dealerships have NOTHING to do with Buyback and they are NOT educated about it. Why are you even calling them?

Buyout the lease, sell it to a friend with different last name and do the buyback through that person.
Old January 6th, 2018, 22:11   #12
pikawel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIforDays View Post
Yup having issues with previously leased vehicles as well. One got rejected
I'd be interested to hear your updates as you get them. I e-mailed and left a VM for the legal council but haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure they're swamped but, boy, would it have been nice if they issued a ticket number or something.
pikawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 14:50   #13
mrpotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikawel View Post
I'd be interested to hear your updates as you get them. I e-mailed and left a VM for the legal council but haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure they're swamped but, boy, would it have been nice if they issued a ticket number or something.

Does anyone have an update on this? I am getting ready to buy out me lease, transfer it, and trade it in. Thanks.
mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 16:11   #14
Mike123

Default Be Careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotamus View Post
Does anyone have an update on this? I am getting ready to buy out me lease, transfer it, and trade it in. Thanks.

I contacted the attorneys and they are telling me that prior lease cars are not eligible in buy-back. Are they correct????????????/
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:13   #15
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike123 View Post
I contacted the attorneys and they are telling me that prior lease cars are not eligible in buy-back. Are they correct????????????/
Issue that I have with one car is that it was a lease and VW allowed to turn it in early and paid customer some restitution. Then VW dealer somehow got the title and sold it to me before fixing it. So now I cannot do a buyback