www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 18th, 2017, 18:43   #1
a57oval

Default New Valeo heater blower motor vibrates on speed 4

Hi All,
2003 Jetta Wagon. 140,000 miles.
My old heater blower motor died. It wouldn't work on fan speed positions 1,2, or 3. It did work on position 4 and did not vibrate.
So I go to ID parts and order a new resistor pack (not OEM) and a new Valeo heater blower motor. Installation was a piece of cake. BUT I had a wicked vibration on fan speed 4. Vibrated the whole dash, felt it through the pedals, and it made a distinct sound. Kinda like a rumble. Only on position 4.
I email ID parts, they say bad motor, sent me a new one super quick. I install it, exact same problem. Same vibration, same everything.
I pull the motor out, there are no signs of anything rubbing. I run the motor out of the car while holding it, and can barely feel it vibrate only in position 4. Same scenario with new motor #1 and new motor #2.
What is the deal?
I called ID Parts, the guy tells me to hire a mechanic to diagnose. Seriously?
I don't know what I am doing wrong. The install was piece of cake. 2 new motors act exactly the same.
HELP!
a57oval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 19:52   #2
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

Does your old one vibrate? Does it feel the same in your hands? It sounds like all you need anyways is the resistor pack so I'd just install that and return the defective blower to ID.
burn_your_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 20:08   #3
drucifer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
Does your old one vibrate? Does it feel the same in your hands? It sounds like all you need anyways is the resistor pack so I'd just install that and return the defective blower to ID.
What he said.
Put the original fan back in and see what happens with the new resister.
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 20:21   #4
Blacktree
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-45 mpg (mostly city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drucifer View Post
Put the original fan back in and see what happens with the new resister.
That's what I would do, too. Because chances are your old blower motor is fine.
Blacktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 04:48   #5
a57oval

Thank you all for responding. When I pulled the old motor and turned it by hand It was quite difficult to do so.
After reading up here I determined that the motor was drawing excessive amperage and that is what blew the resistor pack. I wish I had checked the old motor out of the car as you suggest but unfortunately I tossed it along with the original resistor pack.
Are you guys thinking that the after market resistor pack could be causing this?
Old October 19th, 2017, 04:59   #6
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

just wire power and ground to the motor and hold it in your hand...straight 12v is equivalent to high speed, you'll feel the vibes ... the the squirrel cage is not balanced properly, i see this on aftermarket rad fans all the time
Old October 19th, 2017, 06:36   #7
drucifer
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=a57oval;5339322]Hi All,
2003 Jetta Wagon. 140,000 miles.
My old heater blower motor died. It wouldn't work on fan speed positions 1,2, or 3. It did work on position 4 and did not vibrate.
Your original problem was resistor pack only. As jimbote said speed 4 offers no resistance, thus it's getting the full 12 volts. Any self service junk yards near you? Tons of oem resistor packs and fans there.
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 13:35   #8
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

Since the old blower was hard to turn by hand you are correct in replacing it. It is the root of the problem and the resistor pack is a symptom. With it being hard to turn it won't be spinning as fast on high so it wouldn't really be a fair test to compare it to a new one.

Either way it sounds like you got 2 bunk replacements. I've held a few blower motors in my hands powered up on high and they've never vibrated.
burn_your_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 16:55   #9
Blacktree
Veteran Member

OK, so the old blower motor was bad. And as mentioned above, the increased current draw must have fried the resistors.

I think the next thing to try would be to run the new blower motor with the fan cage removed. See if the motor vibrates by itself. If so, then it's faulty. If it only vibrates with the fan cage attached, then the fan cage is out of balance.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 04:24   #10
a57oval

So it looks like you guys are thinking I have a 2nd new blower motor that is improperly balanced. That sucks. I bought a Valeo from ID Parts thinking that they were the OEM and I shouldn't have any problems as a a result. Perhaps I was wrong.

Blacktree: I like that idea but I am not going to mess with the new motor. Once I figure this issue out and verify it is in fact the new motor I will send it back to ID Parts for a refund or credit.

Drucifer: Excellent Idea. I will buy a Used motor that spins freely with an resistor pack, install that, and see if it performs correctly. If it does, obviously the new motor is bad.

Thanks again for your help. I will update this thread with my findings.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:08   #11
a57oval

Update:
Went to the local pick n pull and bought another blower motor. Installed it and the vibration is gone.
When I talked with IDParts we both agreed that 2 bad heater blower motors seemed vary unlikely.
It looks to me like the I did in fact receive 2 unbalanced blower motors.
Now to email IDParts and see where to go from here. Will update with their response.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:16   #12
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

This certainly has us stumped. We sell a fair number of the Valeo units per week, and outside of these two haven't had any problems with vibration or noise. We'll get these back from you and test them on the bench here to see what is going on.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 18:47   #13
a57oval

Update,
The used motor and resistor work great. IDParts refunded me for the purchase of the motor and resistor.
I cant say enough about IDParts. Their prices are reasonable and they stand behind their products. Weird huh?
Even though I have been made whole, I still would like to know what the resolution is to this issue. I know my used parts are going to fail. When they do I will be calling IDParts for a replacement.
Hopefully this was just a weird anomaly.
Peter
Old November 3rd, 2017, 19:40   #14
Blacktree
Veteran Member

I've also been very satisfied with my purchases from IDParts. But stuff happens. At least their customer service took care of you.

On one of my other cars, I once went through FOUR faulty alternators (from a local parts store), before finally getting a good one.
Old November 7th, 2017, 16:44   #15
Zornigvw

TDI(s): 03 golf

Seams to be a common issue with the Valeo brand. I have the same issue.