Lifted my NBS Beetle a bit Pic inside

KillyMcGee

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jeta 5 Speed
Tired of grading the roads around my house and not getting paid by the county for it.
Parts list:
Diesel Geeks skid plate I picked up at the salvage yard for like 20$
Pipe fittings, bought too much 34$
Rear shock extension from Amazon 20$
Saw blade to cut pipe fittings 5$
Wheels and tires from DCD after rebate $686
Needed struts, shocks and other suspension parts already because of age. Control arm bushings were separated completely from control arm.
Had to massage the right rear fender liner.
Front drivers mud flap was already broken from being so low
Passenger side front mud flap was twisted and rubbed. So i removed both
Tire sites just below the lip of the strut. Running 215/75R15 General Grabber AT2 on 15" VIS Cross wheels in gunmetal grey/mud brown.

So far the car has been good. Have some more interior work to do, want tint and want to add some offroad lights to replace the nonfog light grille insert.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well I like it, makes it more roadable.
Might be interesting to get it on a 4 wheel alignment machine.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I like it too. There's a bug running around in my area that's jacked up pretty high (this is 4x4 country!); I really want to get a picture of it; don't think it's a TDI though.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
KillyMcGee,

Other than the list of generic parts, can you provide any details on your lift? Pictures would be even better.

Eric

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
I'd be interested in more pics also! The other diy thread is full of dead photobucket links.

KillyMcGee

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jeta 5 Speed
1st off, this is not a how to, but rather how I did and I assume no responsibility to you modifying or changing your car for onroad or offroad use.
Sorry for the delay was redoing the front as I had an issue.
Originally I had the 1" pipe between the strut mount bearing and the plate that sits on top of the coil spring. This caused the bearing to fail. After taking it apart and inspecting it I can see why. The bearing is basically two steel washers with ball bearing between them and plastic shield around it. The thickness of the pipe was too thing so it distorted the bottom of the bearing.
This weekend I redid it a few times to get it how I feel it will last the longest while safely giving me the right amount of lift.
As of now on the 215/75R15 General Grabber AT2 tires I am at 30 1/8 - 1/4" from floor to fender bottom on the front and right at an inch higher in the rear. As for the height of the rear I believe it would have been level with the front if I had stayed with the factory installed springs instead of the Moog wagon springs.
So for the rear, I went to my local plumbing supply store and bought 2 4" to 2" pipe bushings like this:

I took some threaded 2" pipe and screwed into the smaller hole. I then cut the pipe off about an inch above where it met the pipe bushing. This sits between the rear spring perch and the coil spring. The 2" pipe goes inside the coil of the spring and keeps it from popping loose of the bushing from coming out. No pics, but its very simple. IF you must have pics I can get some in the future.
The shocks were extended using these made for an F250 but they fit just find once I drilled out the holes
https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Extend...d=1507052052&sr=8-10&keywords=shock+extenders
Now for the front. I ditched the already squashed stock bushings that are about 3 weeks old and replaced them with these from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/PowerFlex-Po...50758&sr=8-1&keywords=strut+bushing+powerflex
There is no slack between the top mount and the strut tower like there is on the factory rubber bushings.
As for the lift, I disassembled the factory bearing and used the top of it (basically a washer) between the replacement bearing and the Powerflex bushing. This will push the strut 1/8" away from the bushing lifted the car about an 1/8". I still have several complete threads on the top after installing the cap so its nice and secure. I did this because I wanted as much lift as possible without causing the springs to be compressed anymore than they have to. When you compress the spring to gain lift, you lessen the amount of travel you have left in your strut.

Now after the bearing I the spring mount off of the factory struts just like it was going back stock. However I used spacers between the 1st strut spring mount and the second forcing the coil springs away from the top of the strut and lifting the vehicle. Here you can use grade 8 hardware like washers or pipe or the bushing of your choosing. I used grade 8 washers, and a 1" nut. The 1" nut has an ID of right at 7/8" (which is basically the diameter of the strut shaft). Here is a pic of my finished assembly.

As you can see the total lift is 1 3/4" plus the lift from the added tire height, the 1/8" from the washer before the strut bearing and finally the added height from the urethane bushing on top.
Now finally what took so long. When you preload the coil springs with simply a pipe or bushing between the bearing and the spring mount it puts the factory bearing in such a bind that you can not turn the bushing on the top once its assembled. I played around with washer and spacing and basically anything more than about 3/4" of preload binds up the bearing and you can't turn the top bushing by hand.
What I did to fix it. So since the strut and the strut mount need to move separately, the strut bushing has a flat metal plate inside it that rides on top of the bearing (the plastic outer portion). The strut itself rides on the bearings top washer, where my index finger is poking thru in the 2nd picture. The problem is when you put the shouldered nut that holds the strut bushing onto the assembly that it binds against this bearing and will not move.
My fix was to take a very thin steel washer with an OD just smaller than the ID of the strut bushing and I drilled out the ID of this washer to 3/4". That way it would go over the strut threads, sit in between the strut bearing and the shouldered retaining nut. This gave the strut mount a tiny amount of slack that allows the bushing to spin freely and not too much slack that the bearing is loose. If the bushing doesn't spin then you will get a squeaking or rubbing noise and some resistance when you turn the wheel. Not much, but some. This portion of the mod was just going off of my own understanding and reason and someone with actual knowledge and learning could probably explain this better and put me in my place.
Here is a close up of where the washer goes but not of the washer as I forgot to take that picture.

I think I'm pushing it on how much you can lift these cars in the front and the rear. Without any load on the rear of the car the extended shock tops out slightly. The weight of the car drops this a significant amount, however If I were to be going thru some jumps I think the suspension would top out. I'm not sure the duke boys would approve of this. On a Wagon, or even an Jetta I think this wouldn't be an issue not do I think it is any issue on my car just stating how it is now. If I bounce the rear as hard as I can I am not able to top out the shocks unless its on jack stands letting the rear suspension droop.
Finally here are some close ups of the front suspension assembled so you can see how its sits after driving it a little to make sure its settled. Fender gap looks good to me, ride quality once I installed the Energy Suspension sway bar kit is very nice. I drive 10 miles or gravel road, and 130 miles of paved road (most beaten up by winter, and log trucks) to work. The car turns relatively flat, doesn't bottom out on pot holes, and doesn't feel skiddish across the rough spots. I've driven it in the rain and have put a few tanks on this setup. So far no complaints other than the time I put into it. If I had to do it again, I'd buy better struts, the better strut mounts, springs etc the 1st time and only do it one time rather than trying the cheaper way and later redoing it like I did.

As for rubbing, on the driver side, basically none unless I'm turning sharp into a inclined drive. On the passenger side It was rubbing when turning right especially when backing up. I trimmed some of my already busted up fender liner and now it only slightly rubs when backing up if i turn it sharp.
If you have any questions i'll be happy to help (unless I gotta take this thing apart again) :)

05JTDI

TDI
2005 MKIV Jetta
Thank you for the detailed write up. I will be lifting my Jetta soon and this will be a great help!

I am planning to run 205/75/15 General Grabber AT2s using Moog springs front and rear with an aluminum front strut spacer to make everything sit level.

How are the power and mileage with the larger tires?

KillyMcGee

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jeta 5 Speed
I would also recommend the 205 rather than the 215 as the clearance between the tire and the bottom coil mount on the front strut is very small. It would also reduce the trimming or rubbing you'd have by being just over a half an inch smaller diameter.

Factory Tire from Beetle 205/55r16
Diam 24.9"
Revs per mile 835

Factory tire from Jetta 195/65r15
Diameter 25"
Revs per mile 832
% dif 0.4%

Gen Grabber AT2 205/75/15
Diameter 27.1"
Revs per mile 767
% dif 8.8%

Gen Grabber AT2 215/75/15
Diameter 27.7"
Revs per mile 750
% dif 11.2%

So my mileage reading on my odometer is 11.2% off from what it says. My two previous tanks before the tire swap was 42.33 and 47.72 mpg. The 1st was when I was trouble shooting a faulty turbo actuator and was doing quite a few 3rd and 4th gear full throttle pulls repeatedly to test it and diagnose it. And also the 1st half of that tank was when it was broken and I was making little to no boost. The 47.72 mpg tank was nearly all commuting with little in town driving.

My last tank driving that was similar to the pre lift tank I got 39.13 mpg uncorrected or 43.51 mpg corrected. So to answer your question on mileage i lost about 4mpg based off of the last few tanks.

As for power. I only had 1 tank of driving with my car's turbo working and can say the power prelift was noticeably lower than my 01 Jetta with an 11mm pump. That car with no tune, just the pump will pull away from my coworkers 03 Jetta with an 11mm pump and a Kerma tune so I've been spoiled to a TDi with what I'd call a freakish amount of power. So my 01 Beetle will no longer spin the tires from a 1st gear roll, but it will easily pass a car in 5th without having to downshift or get a run. I can say that after putting on the larger tires/lift that I can definitely feel the increase in gear ratio caused by the larger tire. The car still pulls fine, but it does leave me wanting to put the other 11mm pump I have along with a larger turbo on it.

I think the change in ratio puts my cruising speed into a less efficient RPM range and I wonder how swapping for a 6 speed would effect the mileage. I also think my wife would strangle me if I tired to find out.
Just a note calculating the "effective gear ratio" on the car:
Stock Tire Size
205/55R16
New Tire Size
215/75R15
Stock Gear Ratio
3.39 : 1

Effective Gear Ratio
3.04 : 1
New Ratio Needed
3.77 : 1