www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 18th, 2018, 20:07   #91
Teamzarz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: FloriDUHH
TDI(s): 2009 JSW
Default

I'm not sure if it is or not. It may be that certain monitors in the ECU have changed and previous to the fix the ECU wasn't seeing an almost clogged heater core as clogged enough to warrant a CEL.

It could also be that since the heater core is next in line after the EGR cooler and the car is doing more regen cycles to heat up the cat and clear the DPF the EGR is seeing much more heat than normal. This hotter than normal coolant now reacts more aggressively with the solder flux in the core causing the coolant to go more acidic which reacts with the aluminum components making a scaly sludgy mess that builds up in the heater core and can't escape effectively plugging the core.

The above should be taken with a grain of salt although a similar core in the passat had this issue for which they issued a TSB and covered a load of replacements under an extended heater core warranty.
Teamzarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 23:17   #92
spayne
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Houston Texas
Default

Hey Teamzarz, call vwoa again and raise hell. The rationale that my service guys said to me was "the core was not clogged before the fix and now it is so we are going to fix it". But that wasn't their feelings before I called vwoa and raised hell.
Then soon after the heater core fix, the egr cooler clogged too and they took care of it also.
spayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 08:07   #93
Teamzarz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: FloriDUHH
TDI(s): 2009 JSW
Default

Car at 125k in late 2014 the seat warmer passenger side tried to burn off my wife's butt and filled the car with burning foam fumes while our 5 month old son was in the car. Called VW and raised hell. They covered the seat replacement and gave me a loaner Tiguan for 51 days while they fixed it. total cost $5300. I paid nothing. This was pre-scandal.

Took it in for the fix had that manifold issue. Raised hell with VW. They covered it so I could get my fix done. $950, I paid nothing.

Now this stupid thing with the heater core, was prepared to just do it myself. Was going to let VW slide on this one. Till the dealer tried to gouge me for the diagnostic fee after I told them what I thought it was anyway. Then told me somehow that a 70 dollar heater core plus 1.5 hours labor would be 600 dollars to fix. Labor rates at Florida VW dealerships must be on par with Bentley or something.... Called VW on Saturday and raised hell yet again. I'll keep you posted.
Teamzarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 10:14   #94
Teamzarz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: FloriDUHH
TDI(s): 2009 JSW
Default

Just got the call from Fields. VW is covering the heater core!
Please people if you get the fix and you throw this code call VWoA customer care and ask for it to be covered.
Teamzarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 06:01   #95
Nurse Diesel
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Default

Okay, guys, I'm still sitting on the fence about getting my car fixed or just leaving it the way it is and hoping for the best down the road. The chatter seems to have died down from most of you--still happy with your "fixed" cars? Would you do it again?
Nurse Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2018, 09:10   #96
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: athens ga.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Diesel View Post
Okay, guys, I'm still sitting on the fence about getting my car fixed or just leaving it the way it is and hoping for the best down the road. The chatter seems to have died down from most of you--still happy with your "fixed" cars? Would you do it again?
Hey Kathy..from what I read most of the feedback has been positive..with me being one of them...like most have said here..getting the 'EXTENDED WARRANTY AND QUITE A CASH BONUS" HAS LEFT ALOT OF PEOPLE HERE VERY HAPPY.. KEEP IN MIND..if something goes wrong with your car (that would be under the extended warranty) you will have to pay out of your pocket without it.. and there are quite a few things that may go bad eventually.. e.g. fuel pump..egr filter..dpf.. heater core..the lists goes on...and it's VERY expensive to have any of these repaired by a dealer!.It's very comforting for me as others having this warranty! also if you want to you can take some of the cash and get a "tune on your car" (likely invalidating warranty though) and really get the power back and then some and also get better mpg's before you got the fix!..and still have a bunch of money left over to fill your closet with new shoes and clothes!
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 14:50   #97
jbright
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Default

I got a check engine light driving home from work last night. I dropped it off at the dealership today and just got a call. It's the heater core. Again. Right after I had the fix done in September the heater core had to be replaced, on my dime. This time it's covered under the extended warranty. I reminded the service rep this was likely caused by the fix itself and he said that was a good possibility.
__________________
2009 Jetta TDI, black, tan interior with black dash, DSG, 16" Wheels, Build date 11/08. 'Fixed' 10/18.
47.8 mpg best tank, all interstate @ 70 mph ----- 162,000 miles on odometer.
2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6 (wife's), 1979 Diesel Rabbit (RIP), 1981 VW Diesel Pickup (RIP), 1986 Jetta gasser (gone).
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 06:51   #98
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: athens ga.
Default

Soo your saying that the heater core you had replaced just 9-10 months ago is now bad again?? Are you certain that they "actually" replaced it the first time?? and not just flushed it or similar? Sounds fishy..what did they charge you to "replace" it the first time?
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 06:56   #99
740GLE
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NH
Default

This may be a side effect of the "fix" coking the coolant with crazy high EGR duty cycle and the heater core is the weak link. But I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer tried to pull a fast one.
__________________
Hers: 2015 Passat SEL (NOS) w/ VW fix and Malone Stage 2.
His: 2017 Alltrack SE, waiting for TSI to TDI conversion kits to be released.
Bought back 2010 Sedan, cog swapper, build date 07/09, BB 6/7/16. 2012 Passat, Roof+Nav, build date 05/12, BB 7/11
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 08:02   #100
jbright
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest resto`s View Post
Soo your saying that the heater core you had replaced just 9-10 months ago is now bad again?? Are you certain that they "actually" replaced it the first time?? and not just flushed it or similar? Sounds fishy..what did they charge you to "replace" it the first time?

Yes, the heater core was replaced just after having the 'fix' done in September. I have the receipt with all the parts numbers etc. ($1112.79) VW Customer Care gave me the runaround when I tried to get them to cover the cost, left the decision up to dealership, which refused, even though there was growing suspicion here (the TDI Club) that the fix stressed the heater core. I doubt this dealership, the largest in the state, faked the repair. I bought the car from them and have used them for all services since and have a good relationship with them. So this is the second heater core to fail, not even a year since installation. Funny thing is I complained several times to them this past winter about how inadequate the heat was. They checked the system and said it was working fine (it was not). I'm wondering how long this new hc will last. Also, there was no hesitation to pay for this one under warranty. I will be going in this afternoon and I'll find out more.
__________________
2009 Jetta TDI, black, tan interior with black dash, DSG, 16" Wheels, Build date 11/08. 'Fixed' 10/18.
47.8 mpg best tank, all interstate @ 70 mph ----- 162,000 miles on odometer.
2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6 (wife's), 1979 Diesel Rabbit (RIP), 1981 VW Diesel Pickup (RIP), 1986 Jetta gasser (gone).
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 08:40   #101
93celicaconv
Veteran Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright View Post
Yes, the heater core was replaced just after having the 'fix' done in September. I have the receipt with all the parts numbers etc. ($1112.79) VW Customer Care gave me the runaround when I tried to get them to cover the cost, left the decision up to dealership, which refused, even though there was growing suspicion here (the TDI Club) that the fix stressed the heater core. I doubt this dealership, the largest in the state, faked the repair. I bought the car from them and have used them for all services since and have a good relationship with them. So this is the second heater core to fail, not even a year since installation. Funny thing is I complained several times to them this past winter about how inadequate the heat was. They checked the system and said it was working fine (it was not). I'm wondering how long this new hc will last. Also, there was no hesitation to pay for this one under warranty. I will be going in this afternoon and I'll find out more.
FWIW, somewhere in this forum there was a VW Service Bulletin on these 2010-2014 2.0L TDI models with heater core plugging, and the point of the service bulletin was to clear spell out the process associated with flushing the entire cooling system with the old heater core remove and before the new one being installed, to ensure all other aspects of the cooling system had the residual assembly flux (used to join aluminum cores to tanks) and corrosion debris (aluminum oxide caused by the flux decaying the coolant corrosion inhibitors much quicker than the normal 2-3 year coolant change duty cycle) to avoid the potential of a repeat heater core plugging issue and another heater core replacement.


I say this because it may be possible the dealership did change your heater core, but didn't follow the VW service bulletin, so your system still had debris in it the quickly clogged your new core. Not saying this is certainly what happened, but I can see this possibility fitting your situation.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 15:15   #102
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: athens ga.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
FWIW, somewhere in this forum there was a VW Service Bulletin on these 2010-2014 2.0L TDI models with heater core plugging, and the point of the service bulletin was to clear spell out the process associated with flushing the entire cooling system with the old heater core remove and before the new one being installed, to ensure all other aspects of the cooling system had the residual assembly flux (used to join aluminum cores to tanks) and corrosion debris (aluminum oxide caused by the flux decaying the coolant corrosion inhibitors much quicker than the normal 2-3 year coolant change duty cycle) to avoid the potential of a repeat heater core plugging issue and another heater core replacement.


I say this because it may be possible the dealership did change your heater core, but didn't follow the VW service bulletin, so your system still had debris in it the quickly clogged your new core. Not saying this is certainly what happened, but I can see this possibility fitting your situation.
That makes alot of sense!..very good info..for others to pursue when replacing the h.c...
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2018, 09:13   #103
jbright
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Default

I got the car back. This time no charge for a new heatercore. It sounds like they knew about the Service Bulletin concerning corrosion debris. He said they did complete flush before installation. I hope this one lasts longer than 10 months. Car drives great. I'm still glad I didn't do the buy back. I had a brand new Jetta as a loaner. I liked it well enough, but the interior felt cheap compared to mine. It did get 40 mpg on my freeway commute to work.
__________________
2009 Jetta TDI, black, tan interior with black dash, DSG, 16" Wheels, Build date 11/08. 'Fixed' 10/18.
47.8 mpg best tank, all interstate @ 70 mph ----- 162,000 miles on odometer.
2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6 (wife's), 1979 Diesel Rabbit (RIP), 1981 VW Diesel Pickup (RIP), 1986 Jetta gasser (gone).

Last edited by jbright; June 23rd, 2018 at 09:20.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 19:04   #104
Teamzarz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: FloriDUHH
TDI(s): 2009 JSW
Default

They had my car for 2 months while they fixed the heater core AND ripped out the entire dash to replace all coolant hoses through the firewall that were apparently the real cause of the issue. If anyone is still having issues with a replaced heater core chances are the pipes connecting it through the firewall need to be replaced as well.
Teamzarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 07:44   #105
zoomdiesel
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Default

My 2009 post fix TDI threw the P2457 code and the dealer first asked me to sign for a diag charge but then waived it and replaced the heater core under warranty. They're holding up their end in my case.
zoomdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TSB for clogged heater core / code P2457 inthewoods VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 71 January 21st, 2018 15:22
2014-2015 TDI fix, see any turbo/gear lag since fix? Reflex TDI 101 0 August 30th, 2017 12:50
P2457 - EGR cooling performance fdhunter VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas 8 May 17th, 2017 12:17
Question - Opt for fix, what if no fix, how to get "fix money"? Scott02 Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal 41 September 12th, 2016 20:36
P2457 Code - 2014 Passat TDI TDINJ VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 2 June 25th, 2015 06:10


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.18714 seconds with 10 queries
[Output: 129.83 Kb. compressed to 109.38 Kb. by saving 20.45 Kb. (15.75%)]