www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 21st, 2017, 08:04   #61
add1son

Just an update on my issue: I got a call from the customer care rep and he indicated that they will be replacing the heater core on my vehicle free of charge as a "goodwill gesture". Will update again after I get a chance to get the work done.

I am driving my bosses vehicle now as my cabin smelled of coolant and I didn't want to continue driving it with the unaddressed issue.
add1son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:34   #62
740GLE
Veteran Member

Good news on the "goodwill gesture" wonder if others will be as lucky.

A little coolant in the cabin never hurt anyone

Also the NMS Passats had issues with clogged heater cores.

I personally think the operating temps the coolant sees possibly due to the EGR is too high and is breaking down and that's the "rust" you see in systems, but thats just my hunch.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 20:13   #63
add1son

Got the car back today, CEL gone, no cost to me. VW dealer was very pleasant to deal with through the ordeal.

Driving today was the normal post-emissions experience. I'm putting a few hundred miles on over the next few days, hopefully no more issues to report. Thanks for the help.
add1son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:00   #64
740GLE
Veteran Member

Sounds like N2UADTDI should call up VW Customer Care
Old September 27th, 2017, 20:40   #65
so2315
Veteran Member

Add me to the post fix P2457 problem. I did notice the heater core last winter was not putting out heat like it did when new. Had a local mechanic do a backflush and a ton of gunk came out which gave me marginally more heat.
Car has 160,000 miles on it, fix was done less than 5,000 miles ago.
I have never had any issues with this car before the fix, but since the fix I have had 3 separate check engine lights come on.
1.) po472 exhaust pressure sensor. Replaced myself, the one behind the oil fill cap.
2.) p2015 Intake manifold flap. Bought the dieselgeek mod for this
3.) P2457 EGR fault. Debating on having dealer fix heater core or take to local shop and see if that clears out.

I am leaning on working over Volkswagen since the previous OBD programming did not detect this fault, and now I see plenty of others are getting this post fix.
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:42   #66
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so2315 View Post
Add me to the post fix P2457 problem. I did notice the heater core last winter was not putting out heat like it did when new. Had a local mechanic do a backflush and a ton of gunk came out which gave me marginally more heat.
Car has 160,000 miles on it, fix was done less than 5,000 miles ago.
I have never had any issues with this car before the fix, but since the fix I have had 3 separate check engine lights come on.
1.) po472 exhaust pressure sensor. Replaced myself, the one behind the oil fill cap.
2.) p2015 Intake manifold flap. Bought the dieselgeek mod for this
3.) P2457 EGR fault. Debating on having dealer fix heater core or take to local shop and see if that clears out.

I am leaning on working over Volkswagen since the previous OBD programming did not detect this fault, and now I see plenty of others are getting this post fix.
if you had the fix, I would take it to the dealer and let them fix it all under the warranty.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:56   #67
schumacher62

ive been so convinced im turning mine in for the buy-back ive not kept most of the mailings from vwoa. with this extended emissions warranty and my new rear nox failure (not yet repaired, engine light on) is the replacement of my nox sensor covered at no charge?

also, where online can i access this extended warranty? thanks in advance.
schumacher62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 07:23   #68
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumacher62 View Post
ive been so convinced im turning mine in for the buy-back ive not kept most of the mailings from vwoa. with this extended emissions warranty and my new rear nox failure (not yet repaired, engine light on) is the replacement of my nox sensor covered at no charge?

any extended warranty only applies after you have declined the buy back, and had the fix completed.

if you have done neither, you would be responsible for repair of any defect which causes an MIL before the fix, or could sell back as long as it drives into the dealer under its own power.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:51   #69
so2315
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumacher62 View Post
The dealer won't even attempt to start the emission fix until all CEL are off, and that will be your responsibility to get that repaired. That's what I was told.
Old October 10th, 2017, 21:28   #70
V8Boatbuilder

I have a manual 2013 (no fix yet), and got the P2457 after the dealer had to replace the A/C condenser.

What is VERY odd is since they replaced the A/C condenser, my electric fan run for about 30 seconds after the car shuts off. It didn't do this before they had the car.

Does anyone else have their electric fan run after they shut off the car?
Toy: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer: Lifted & Modified
Work Trucks: Lotsa Ford vans and pickups...
V8Boatbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 15:35   #71
DesertDog

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Boatbuilder View Post
I have a manual 2013 (no fix yet), and got the P2457 after the dealer had to replace the A/C condenser.

What is VERY odd is since they replaced the A/C condenser, my electric fan run for about 30 seconds after the car shuts off. It didn't do this before they had the car.

Does anyone else have their electric fan run after they shut off the car?
Odd, I had the fix done 9/17 and the AC failed 10/3. Fixed the AC, new compressor etc. 10/10 and got the P2457 code today 10/12.I have the 2014 Jetta TDI.
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:13   #72
740GLE
Veteran Member

To replace the condensor/compressor they may have to disconnect some coolant hoses and place the front clip in the "service" position. If that's the case, maybe the drain refill, stirred up enough gunk to clog the core.

Big thing is this was noted on two different platforms/engines. Passat has the W2A IC and the Jetta has the A2A.

Also the Passat is known to run coolant high 225-235 and has a slew of known issues with "bad heater cores". I believe, the fans will always run if coolant is higher than 220. I'd wager the 2012 we had bought back had a fair amount of "gunk" in the coolant system as I noticed the fans on way more often than regens.

Just a guess
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:47   #73
V8Boatbuilder

I think mine is just unrelated, it was cold the other day and I have no heat. Looks like it's a plugged heater core and 740GLE is spot-on.
Old October 17th, 2017, 16:03   #74
V8Boatbuilder

Update: Did some digging and the heater core is covered by a warranty extension (thanks TDI club!!). Called the dealer and they confirmed. Car is currently at the dealer, repair will be covered 100% by VW.
Old October 18th, 2017, 07:11   #75
740GLE
Veteran Member

Enjoy the heat, you probably had a failing heater core last winter. Guess the benefits of the extended warranties are starting to shine. If i were anyone's shoes close to deciding about getting the fix, I'd do it ASAP to start the warranty clock (09 DSG bricked ones outstanding).