www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 15th, 2017, 09:09   #46
jbright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Mind what you are reporting, EGR flow vs EGR inefficient cooling performance, these are two completely different issues on these cars.

EGR flow (P401) is due to a cracked PDF, a heater core replacement ain't gonna do squat on this.

EGR coolant performance (P2457) is due to the fix flowing more coolant and upping the EGR duty cycle. As is reported in this thread a replaced heater core will correct this issue.

Not to be nit-picky but keeping these small details separate will help someone else down the line.
Thanks. That's why included "more knowledgeable than I am" in my post. This will help me when I talk to them this afternoon.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 18:29   #47
add1son

Add another to the P2457 post-fix club. Also threw code P00D5.

Dealer said heat core replacement will fix the issue, like 740GLE indicates.
add1son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 13:03   #48
XjGhost

TDI(s): Jetta

Add another to the P2457 post fix club. Dropped it off this afternoon to see what they say. I just had the fix done on my 2014 Jetta too.
XjGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 13:08   #49
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjGhost View Post
Add another to the P2457 post fix club. Dropped it off this afternoon to see what they say. I just had the fix done on my 2014 Jetta too.
o/k people..please let us know how many miles on the car...and what year?.. were you having problems with heater before?...any codes before?? Please supply more info because this seems to be a consistent problem that should be monitored.. Thanx!
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 13:43   #50
craigldavis

TDI(s): 2009 JSW M/T

Maybe add what type of coolant you are using.

I’ve always used only VW original coolant with distilled (or RO water) and never mixed types or brands.

Never had any heater problems and did not get the P2457 code after my fix.

2009 Jetta with 280,000 miles.

Last edited by craigldavis; September 19th, 2017 at 21:05. Reason: Clarified coolant mix with distilled water and not mixed any other brand coolant.
craigldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 20:13   #51
jbright
Veteran Member

The dealership that did the fix has performed every service on my car since it was new, 152,000 miles ago, including a service at the same time as the fix. I had no sign of a problem with the heater core. The day after the fix I got the check engine light. $1100 of the money I received was spent to pay for a new heater core. . . . . .the car is driving great. I can't really tell any difference in performance and fuel economy. I'm about to fill up the tank so I can start to get an idea if there's any drop in miles per gallon (computer shows little or none).
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 05:36   #52
740GLE
Veteran Member

I'd fight VW to be reimbursed for the $1100.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:14   #53
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
I'd fight VW to be reimbursed for the $1100.

agree.

this was not any problem before the fix was applied.

start with the dealer,

call VW customer care and ask to elevate asap.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:38   #54
add1son

My 09 Jetta has about 97K. New timing belt a year ago around 82k, so new coolant with that. No issues with heater / heater core problems prior to the Error code. I should note I also threw code P00D5.

I have contacted customer care and they should be getting in touch with the dealer who performed the fix today, will update.
add1son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:16   #55
740GLE
Veteran Member

The fluid change out during a TB job, while helps prevent blockage in a heater core, won't fix any blockage issue if it's already started.

Sounds like people haven't been noticing any issues with their heater cores before the fix. This which makes sense, EGR duty cycle is prob reduced when cheating for better MPGs, so the cooling system may not need to operate as its peak efficiency. You'd still get some cabin heat but it may be only be say 70% of max temp.

But after the fix due to the EGR duty cycle being increased, unless coolant flow is near 100% thru the heater core you may boil coolant in the EGR cooler as its in series, and can't flow enough to cool it down, then up pops the code.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 14:23   #56
joshhol

So if the cooling system needs to be at peak efficiency for the fix to work, as soon as the heater core gets some blockage it's going to throw the code again and that will be another $1100 heater core replacement. Is the assumed coolant change interval just to coincide with the TB replacement since it isn't explicitly mentioned in the maintenance booklet?
Is a 60 - 80K coolant change interval too long, allowing for sediment to build up?

Wondering what other longer term effects will the fix have on car systems.
joshhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 15:01   #57
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhol View Post
Is the assumed coolant change interval just to coincide with the TB replacement since it isn't explicitly mentioned in the maintenance booklet? Is a 60 - 80K coolant change interval too long, allowing for sediment to build up?
This is a great question. Checking coolant condition (pH, for example) or having a routine flush & refill period doesn't exist in the maintenance booklets (except for checking level and frost protection). Any coolant breaks down over time, and as the pH changes, that starts internal corrosion processes that causes the sediments that causes the plugging (most of the cases). Old DexCool, if the level got low and if air got into the internal cooling chambers, caused excessive coolant breakdown, at least years ago. So I understand the level part. But one has to check pH also, even if the level and frost protection properties are good.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 15:15   #58
meerschm
Veteran Member

there have been reports of gunked up coolant in the 2009 cars. (with clogged heater cores)

there is no interval specified by VW. Not even specified as part of the timing belt service.

but if you have one of these early cars, it would seem a good idea to flush the system out when you get the chance, fix or not. not just a drain and fill, but disconnect hoses and flush with fresh water, with special attention to the two coolant loops with smaller diameter hoses.

plenty of folks have had no issues with this, and will say it is not required.

Your mileage may vary.

Old September 20th, 2017, 18:50   #59
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

I asked the dealer to put the old heater core in the trunk when they replaced it. Was hoping the heater core had plastic tanks that could be taken off. But the whole thing is aluminum. Can't be taken apart easily.
Looking into the in/out ports of the core shows lots of rust. Clogged tubes.
This car has had rust in the cooling system from day 1. I changed the coolant every year using the coolant from the dealer. Mixed 50/50 with distilled water.
Had the dealer do a flush once. I've taken the expansion tank off several times to clean out the rust chunks.
Only once did I ever see this much corrosion in a cooling system. And that car sat for decades with plain water in it.
This was a new car in 2009(late 2008). How did such rust occur? Was there a problem with the block or was the coolant they used contaminated with rust?
N2UADTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 22:09   #60
meerschm
Veteran Member

Good question.