www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 4th, 2017, 11:52   #16
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Not that what they said or did was right. (very discerning/crappy to say the least). I would replace your heater core and see if the code goes away.. just to get your car going again..if code is still there then fire all barrels at vw..and I will as I hope others will also..if code is gone and runs well notify dealer and show that they were wrong. I will email the dealer and throw my opinions.., I own a shop and your details shows total negligence on their part..good luck
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 17:43   #17
Maicoman

TDI(s): 09 jetta

Thanks for the heads up. I too was wondering if the fix would come so easily.
Al in central Jersey
Maicoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 06:36   #18
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

This is a page from the VW common rail engine training PDF.
The hot coolant from the engine goes thru the egr cooler[6] then the heater core[7] and then back to the coolant pump[3]. The heater core is essentially a shunt (in parallel) across the radiator[1].

I showed this to the service person at the dealership. Since this is a learning process for me I was excited to think I had found a solution.
After driving the car for a few miles and opening the hood, I can hear what I think is boiling coolant behind and to the left of the engine. I think the EGR cooler is in this area. Looking at the cooling circuit pic, the heater core is in series with the egr cooler. And I know that the heater core is clogged enough to not heat the car in the winter. For 2 years in a row I have flushed the core with a small pump and got out rust and sludge. By the time winter is over the core is clogged again. I did not replace the core because I was waiting for the buyback/fix decision. But what I did not know until a few days ago was that the clogged core could have been causing egr problems.
Before the fix was done there was no CEL or any indication that the egr system was affected. I suspect that part of the fix includes increased egr hot gasses going thru the cooler to reduce NOx during combustion.
Of course this is all theory at this point on my part. I explained all this to the service person and vw on the phone. I suppose they think it's all a bunch of baloney.
Those of you who have a working knowledge of how this all works should be able to say if this is a possible problem or not.
A friend of mine who listened to me explaining this the other day said - If I went to the dealer and told them to replace the tires, they would replace the tires. So why do they not replace the heater core if I say to replace it and I'm paying for it?
N2UADTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:12   #19
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Dealer wont fix something if they believe it will not repair the "main " problem...a smaller independent shop may..with a signed waiver..kinda like if you went to a shop and said you have no power from engine..you want just a valve job.. well they say it's the piston rings and a valve job wont cure it.( if they replace the piston rings and problem is still there.. they are on the hook! and now you have the advantage!) .so if they do the valve job and still no power.. customer might complain and be a pain in the a##... that's the reason for the waiver.. dealer wont do that.. most shops wont also. ( I wont also without waiver).a good trusted shop is needed! Or do it your self..like I said earlier.. just fix the core yourself or have someone else do it.. it needs to be replaced anyway .. Right?

Last edited by forrest resto`s; September 5th, 2017 at 08:24.
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:31   #20
tadawson
Veteran Member

Can you simply hypass the heater core to restore flow, and verify that the pronlem clears? Should be quick and cheap *if* the hoses/plumbing will allow it . . .

Last edited by tadawson; September 5th, 2017 at 11:52.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:18   #21
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Can you simply hypass the heater core to restore flow, and verify that the pronlem clears? Should be quicimand cheap *if* the hoses/plumbing will allowmit . . .
I don't know the exact connection method of heater hoses to the heater core, but if the hoses use hose clamps for the connection to heater core tubes, just remove the two heater hoses and, with a small tube the size of the smaller connection, clamp the two hoses together on this small tube. That will bypass the heater core.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:45   #22
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

The heater core hoses attach at the firewall. They are 3/4". Large for heater hoses. Indicating they can flow lots of coolant. And can be easily hooked together. I mentioned this to the dealer and got no response.
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:52   #23
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Even if it did work..I seriously doubt that the dealer would accept a "bypass" especially his dealer..that would not be "factory correct" and unacceptable..but then again.. if bypassing fixes the code.. just leave it that way and drive on!
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:53   #24
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest resto`s View Post
Dealer wont fix something if they believe it will not repair the "main " problem...a smaller independent shop may..with a signed waiver..kinda like if you went to a shop and said you have no power from engine..you want just a valve job.. well they say it's the piston rings and a valve job wont cure it.( if they replace the piston rings and problem is still there.. they are on the hook! and now you have the advantage!) .so if they do the valve job and still no power.. customer might complain and be a pain in the a##... that's the reason for the waiver.. dealer wont do that.. most shops wont also. ( I wont also without waiver).a good trusted shop is needed! Or do it your self..like I said earlier.. just fix the core yourself or have someone else do it.. it needs to be replaced anyway .. Right?
Yes, I agree. Do it myself. Easy enough. But I am also concerned that there was a problem with the work doing the fix or one of the EGR parts has a problem. And if I take the car now and do something to it they can say that I was to blame. At this point I'll wait it out some more. It will cost me possibly needless extra $$ but I really have no choice. To be on the safe side.
To make matters worse for me...This is my wife's car. She did not even want the 'fix'. She wanted to keep the car and just drive it. I was the one who pushed to get the fix done.
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:54   #25
tadawson
Veteran Member

You need to politely but firmly inform the dealer that they are dumber than a sack of hammers, take your car back, and troubleshoot this yourself. If you need a shop moving forward, it would appear that just about anywhere else would be a bettter choice . . . If nothing else, if it goes back, it should go back with the known problem (heater core) resolved . . .
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:57   #26
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest resto`s View Post
Even if it did work..I seriously doubt that the dealer would accept a "bypass" especially his dealer..that would not be "factory correct" and unacceptable..but then again.. if bypassing fixes the code.. just leave it that way and drive on!
I never suggested that as a long term solution, but rather just to troubleshoot by restoring flow in that circuit . . . OP is in WI, and won't be too long before a heater is needed. Just no reason to throw a core at it until it is verified that the bigger problem will also be resolved.
Old September 5th, 2017, 12:37   #27
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
I never suggested that as a long term solution, but rather just to troubleshoot by restoring flow in that circuit . . . OP is in WI, and won't be too long before a heater is needed. Just no reason to throw a core at it until it is verified that the bigger problem will also be resolved.
This is how I interpreted the question as well, a way to troubleshoot, not a way to permanently resolve or to get passed something. I'm also thinking, if the owner has a non-contact (infrared) temperature sensor, could check the outside hose temperatures of both hoses at the heater core. If one is warm and the other cold when the engine is warmed up and heater on, that would be a sign of a header core blockage (very low flow if any). But for this application, would be best to bypass the heater core to see if it has an effect on the code being thrown.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 12:45   #28
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
This is how I interpreted the question as well, a way to troubleshoot, not a way to permanently resolve or to get passed something. I'm also thinking, if the owner has a non-contact (infrared) temperature sensor, could check the outside hose temperatures of both hoses at the heater core. If one is warm and the other cold when the engine is warmed up and heater on, that would be a sign of a header core blockage (very low flow if any). But for this application, would be best to bypass the heater core to see if it has an effect on the code being thrown.
Yep.. he has already checked the temp on the hoses.. ( earlier in thread..)
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:56   #29
740GLE
Veteran Member

He or the dealer? If dealer, how much trust is there in the dealer?

But the OP did mentioned he has had poor heat in the winter and flushed the core out a couple times.

If I were him I'd plunk down the coin for a new core and change it out save the hassle, with more troubleshooting.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 17:34   #30
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

Update: The dealer called today and diagnosed the heater core as being clogged. The car will be ready Friday.