www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 25th, 2017, 10:37   #61
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

This is a nightmare! Sorry to all of you who have had bricked cars. We were discussing this in the chat room today and a couple of people suggested that a new transmission control unit might fix the problem, but good luck getting Volkswagen on board with that idea.

It's appalling that you all haven't received any noteworthy updates after all this time. It's also appalling that they won't let you switch to a buyback. My understanding is that there is a provision for switching to a buyback if you there is some level of dissatisfaction with the fix (certain number of days in the shop?) similar to a lemon law. I guess this doesn't qualify under those terms, although it absolutely should.
Old September 25th, 2017, 11:04   #62
mpriolo

I also thought a replacement DSG module (2010 or up) that would accept the new transmission software would be a good solution. But the module is most likely part of the mechatronics unit. You're correct that VW isn't going to want to replace the mechatronics unit to fix the problem when it is just a software update required.

Spoke to the Service Rep this morning and he thinks that VW probably needs to perform a limited amount of testing with the updated software to show that it meets the criteria for the emissions fix. Even if limited in nature, it will still take time, and that might be what is delaying the update. Just speculation at this point, but seems to make sense.

Regards,

Marty
1979 Rabbit Diesel (retired, 211K miles)
mpriolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 12:43   #63
meerschm
Veteran Member

Thanks for improving the thread title.

I would be be happy with any indication that VW even has a clue what the problem is. (ok, not exactly happy....)

It is not rocket science, but it does take some application of skilled resources to understand what the difficulty is, come up with potential fixes, and then get one chosen and then approved.

This is pretty consistent with the whole VW dieselgate performance from day one. (my opinion)

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)

Last edited by meerschm; September 25th, 2017 at 12:46. Reason: happy adjustment
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 15:00   #65
NAZ TDI
Veteran Member

Wait a minute. We've been told it is perfectly legal for us to drive our cars without the 'fix' being applied. So why can't the dealer reinstall the original programming and let you take the car until the 'fix' is fixed?
NAZ TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 17:05   #66
mpriolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ TDI View Post
Wait a minute. We've been told it is perfectly legal for us to drive our cars without the 'fix' being applied. So why can't the dealer reinstall the original programming and let you take the car until the 'fix' is fixed?
Good question. I asked my Service Rep that identical question 5 weeks ago. They could do it, but they won't. VW gave them clear direction to park the car and give the customer a loaner. I didn't get the sense they would go against VW' s direction.
1979 Rabbit Diesel (retired, 211K miles)
mpriolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 19:51   #67
adrienne

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI

Hi Friends,

Sorry for the delay. It was Huge Holiday time in Jew-land, and then I was away for the weekend.

I got my car back on Friday afternoon, because I needed it for the weekend. Fernando (manager) said to text him tomorrow AM when he's back in, and they'll continue working on the mystery leak the car has had for a few years. This is its fourth round and they still can't figure it out. Not the sunroof or seals or hoses .. a friend just recommended the antenna area, so I'll suggest that.

I'm hoping to get more info from him tomorrow but I did learn something very interesting from him. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply to most of you, but I'm honestly thinking about it. Was talking to him about the leak, and I said "You would think I'd sell the car, with all these problems, but there's nothing like it on the market." And Fernando smiles and says - "Actually, there is." Whut?

He says *because I haven't actually started the fix yet* (see doesn't apply to 'some of you'), I could still choose to sell the car, and use the money to buy one of their slightly used 2015 Golf TDI SWs sitting in their basement.

Ok now. I love my car. I mean I LOVE my car. But to have a '15 with almost the same interior CuFt, with similar mpg ... that's really f'ing tough to say No to. I like my older model. I don't like the lack of road-feel in the '17 I was loaned last week. But damn. I really have to think about that.

Meanwhile, the point is that I've read a few places around here about dealers that say that if you signed up for the fix, you can't change your mind. And /my/ dealership is telling me that you can still change your mind if you haven't had the fix yet.

Food for thought. I'm off to compare the '15 to the '10 ... If it weren't for this damn mystery leak, I wouldn't even consider it, honestly. Hopefully I'll have more info tomorrow when I drop Max off again. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, hang in there. And hey - I see NO reason not to ask for a Golf 'wagen. That's what they are giving me so it must be something the dealers can do, right? I hope that line works for you.
Old September 26th, 2017, 09:56   #68
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienne View Post

Food for thought. I'm off to compare the '15 to the '10 ... If it weren't for this damn mystery leak, I wouldn't even consider it, honestly. Hopefully I'll have more info tomorrow when I drop Max off again. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, hang in there. And hey - I see NO reason not to ask for a Golf 'wagen. That's what they are giving me so it must be something the dealers can do, right? I hope that line works for you.

Depending on how much you'd be out of pocket after buyback and purchase of the '15, buy the '15, warranty alone is worth it for the next 6 years, do you see yourself keeping the '10 for another 6 more years?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 18:16   #69
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienne View Post
Hi Friends,

Sorry for the delay. It was Huge Holiday time in Jew-land, and then I was away for the weekend...........

Hope you had a great holiday.

my dealer does not have a wagon they use as a loaner. and seem not inclined to add one to the fleet to make me happy.

I have asked several times.

Old September 26th, 2017, 23:43   #70
Owain@malonetuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Too bad they can't just hire one of the tdiclub tuners. I bet this would be fixed real quick.
Been reading through this thread just scratching my head thinking the same We deal with dealers quite frequently for a variety of things including repairs. Although they likely only have a specific file to write, and fault tables etc have been moved around in the fix software so that can cause some problems, we've seen some weird issues with tools on our end.

Also know someone locally who bought a written off Audi TT, the only reason it was written off was because the dealership flashed the wrong software onto the DSG and couldn't figure it out. Replacing the transmission cost more than 50% of the expected value of the car based on existing repairs/mileage, so they wrote it off and someone bought it back. Ran great with a flash.

Best of luck here, sounds like a weird mess up. Early 09 ECUs are different, imagine it's a problem with dsg tuning within the ECU, VW seems to be struggling so image there's more to it.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 16:13   #71
adrienne

Good question. And one I'm not sure how to answer. I /thought/ I really liked the brand new '17 allroad that they loaned me, but then I got my car back and thought, "Nope. Can't feel the road in that one nearly as much as my Max" ... I have mixed feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Depending on how much you'd be out of pocket after buyback and purchase of the '15, buy the '15, warranty alone is worth it for the next 6 years, do you see yourself keeping the '10 for another 6 more years?
And meerschm, that's just a bummer. I saw your pix from your last trip and the camping up top sure looked purdy. Rude Dealer. Or foolish. If he were smart, he'd like you drive a newer Golf 'wagen like mine did and have you considering a buy-back deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
my dealer does not have a wagon they use as a loaner. and seem not inclined to add one to the fleet to make me happy.
I have asked several times.
Got my car back from Sonnen yesterday. They fixed the O2 recall, fixed the middle seat belt that had become completed locked in on itself, and tracked down a crimped hose that was making the back of the car fill up with water every winter.

They charged me under $250 for the seat belt and days of tracking down the leak, and the loaners were free. I am grateful for their service, especially with this fiasco in hand, and they had my loyalty since we moved back up to Marin in '02, but they sure have cemented it.

Here's the latest from Fernando at Sonnen [who says he's actually a member here, and turns out he may be watching us ] regarding the fix: He says that /some/ of these fluke 09/10 models that won't take the software fix they HAVE found a workaround for. Not all of them - not even - but they're certainly working on it.

Of course, it's not all of the ~300+ and, of course, mine's not one of them. But if you haven't heard about this, please be aggressive in asking your dealership if yours is one of them - can't hurt to try and you may get the golden ticket.

I'll cross my fingers that one of us gets lucky this round.
Old September 30th, 2017, 03:53   #72
meerschm
Veteran Member

Smile

Thanks for the update.

don't suppose he had any more details on what this work-around is?

( I could call Fernando later.....)

Or if you are watching, feel free to respond here....

Last edited by meerschm; September 30th, 2017 at 04:05.
Old September 30th, 2017, 15:04   #73
Meg8

Fernando, please respond!

Definitely would like to know specifics of workaround/who qualifies!

Thanks again, Adrienne!

Last edited by Meg8; October 1st, 2017 at 14:46.
Meg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 18:32   #74
adrienne

I don't know that he knows any details. He said only that they had figured out a way to get the software - which is the whole issue - to "take" on some of these DSGs.

Unfortunately, I probably won't see him again until he thinks there's a fix for me, but I guess I'm trying not to hold my breath. =\
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:53   #75
newbury
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 JSW

Very glad I read this thread.
Left my lovely red '09 JSW in Virginia in late July and received the message about "the fix" from VW.
My hopes soared.
Reading this thread mine (build date late '08?) is probably a candidate for the brickyard.