www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 20th, 2017, 10:43   #46
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie09tdi View Post
Had my 09 (09/08 build date) in on Sept 8 2017 dealer had loaner ready called 3 hours later unable to do recall due to software issue .Still waiting to hear from dealer
what did they give you for a loaner?

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:24   #47
Howie09tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
what did they give you for a loaner?
2017 beetle turbo GOT MY JETTA BACK STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM DEALER ABOUT SOFTWARE FIX,DEALER SUPPOSEDLY REACHES OUT TO CORPORATE DAily
unfortunately i commute a 1k miles a week gonna kill my $$$$

Last edited by Howie09tdi; September 21st, 2017 at 05:27. Reason: added more info
Howie09tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:39   #48
740GLE
Veteran Member

1K a week on an 09? you gotta be pushing some high miles on that puppy, you crack 250K yet?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:05   #49
Howie09tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
1K a week on an 09? you gotta be pushing some high miles on that puppy, you crack 250K yet?
fortunately no bought it used with 83k on it 6/16 just before the deadline love this car
Old September 21st, 2017, 17:18   #50
adrienne

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI

Hi y'all,

So I have a "2010" DSG TDI Sportwagen. Or at least I thought I did until I went to the dealership today to get The Fix.

Fortunately, I have a good dealership and I've been working with them since I bought the car, because when we sat down to check the car in, the manager stopped right there, apologized right up front and explained to me that he can't fix my car.

He said (and I asked him to repeat it a few times) that my car is actually considered a 2009 (Mexico, 12/23/2009) and I am one of 307 cars that won't take the software fix. He told me he currently has no idea when a fix will happen but that VW is working on it. "Maybe in a month" ... but he said it with that question mark in his tone of voice.

The car was in for the O2 sensor recall, as well as a couple other things, so he offered me a free rental while they worked on those things, and also straight out said he would do what he can on the price of the other work because of the inconvenience and lack of understanding of this rare "situation".

We few. The proud. The rotten luck-ers. And thanks to meerschm, I finally tracked down this thread. I'm not on here much since I bought the car.

I am grateful that I have a good dealership, who were educated enough to know what to do, and aren't going to touch the hardware until they have the software. And he gave me a brand new 2017 Golf Allsport with 500 miles on it as a loaner, too.

But I'm angry. Canaries. We drew the shortest sticks somehow and it sounds like it's going to be a long ride. I'm angry for all of you, the earliest adopters, who are stuck with rotten loaners as salt in the wound, which gets rubbed every day. And I'm frustrated that VW clearly has no idea what's wrong.

I do think the manager at my place will keep me posted. And I'll be in touch with him and update when I can get any new information.

What's the latest count here on the forum - how many of us have this specific 2009 DSG 'won't take the software' issue? 4 or 5? More?

Edited to Add: I just remembered that the manager used the VWGOA site to indicate that my car has no fix yet. So there has to be something in my data with them that They Know somehow. When I logged in just now it says there is not yet an approved fix for my car, even though I got a letter saying I could go to the dealership ... What about comparing VINs as well as date of make/country? Mine's 3VWTL7AJ5AM647333, and Mexico 12/23/09 (as I mentioned above).

Grasping for ideas,

Last edited by adrienne; September 21st, 2017 at 17:59.
adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 19:15   #51
meerschm
Veteran Member

If they would give me a golf wagon, at least it would be a functional substitute.

(ok, it is a little fun to drive this CC around. but I had plans...)

was thinking about possible things this could be.

perhaps a batch of controllers with less memory installed, perhaps something else.

could be related to a previous recall. could be a variation in interface so that the software updating program does not work on these cars..

my guess is that by now they know which parts are involved, how many cars, and have a couple possible solutions.

just have to get VW to fork up whatever additional cost it will entail, and then brief 832 folks in various agencies and law firms.

this is not rocket science.. just making a programmable transmission shift when it is supposed to. VW has quite a few DSG transmissions in service on many different cars. there is one in my CC loaner.

They have not updated the VWGoA site. my page still says:
The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. An Emissions Modification for your vehicle is not yet approved by EPA/CARB. Volkswagen will contact you when there is an update on the status of the Emissions Modification for your vehicle.

which is what it has said since late last year.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 06:40   #52
740GLE
Veteran Member

I wonder if these was tied to a that bad batch of mechtronics units on the '09 and '10s that VW extended the warranty on.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:38   #53
meerschm
Veteran Member

swung by the place, they moved my car 20 feet and washed the bird crap off.

adviser now says they have four of these, and he says VW does not have a clue.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:33   #54
mpriolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
swung by the place, they moved my car 20 feet and washed the bird crap off.

adviser now says they have four of these, and he says VW does not have a clue.
Speaking of not having a clue. I contacted my dealership this morning to get an update. The service rep I have been working with was out today so they patched me through to a different service rep. They checked on my tdi, got back on the phone with me, and said they diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump and replaced it plus other fuel system components, and my car would be ready on Monday. Huh?!?! I told them not my car, to forget the update, and I'll contact my Service Rep next week.

BTW - glad I have a CP3 pump now.

Regards,

Marty
1979 Rabbit Diesel (retired, 211K miles)
mpriolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:31   #55
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Meerschm, you've been more than patient and understanding this whole time. They keep your car hostage and can't even be bothered to give you a comparable vehicle? Making me rethink our choice and turn our JSW in...

Quote:
BTW - glad I have a CP3 pump now.
Sorry Marty, a cp3 pump is not a dealer installed upgrade. That's aftermarket. They just installed another version of the same pump you had which is slightly better but still a cp4.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:56   #56
mpriolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Meerschm, you've been more than patient and understanding this whole time. They keep your car hostage and can't even be bothered to give you a comparable vehicle? Making me rethink our choice and turn our JSW in...
Sorry Marty, a cp3 pump is not a dealer installed upgrade. That's aftermarket. They just installed another version of the same pump you had which is slightly better but still a cp4.
That wasn't my tdi with the failed fuel pump, it was someone else's. I installed the CP3 pump kit last summer - many thanks to Andrew for engineering the kit. One of the benefits of the pump (in addition to it's reliability) is a slight bump in the fuel mileage. Might offset the loss from the emissions fix - whenever I get to drive it that is.

Regards,

Marty
1979 Rabbit Diesel (retired, 211K miles)
mpriolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 17:44   #57
Meg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienne View Post
Hi y'all,

So I have a "2010" DSG TDI Sportwagen. Or at least I thought I did until I went to the dealership today to get The Fix.

Fortunately, I have a good dealership and I've been working with them since I bought the car, because when we sat down to check the car in, the manager stopped right there, apologized right up front and explained to me that he can't fix my car.

He said (and I asked him to repeat it a few times) that my car is actually considered a 2009 (Mexico, 12/23/2009) and I am one of 307 cars that won't take the software fix. He told me he currently has no idea when a fix will happen but that VW is working on it. "Maybe in a month" ... but he said it with that question mark in his tone of voice.

The car was in for the O2 sensor recall, as well as a couple other things, so he offered me a free rental while they worked on those things, and also straight out said he would do what he can on the price of the other work because of the inconvenience and lack of understanding of this rare "situation".

We few. The proud. The rotten luck-ers. And thanks to meerschm, I finally tracked down this thread. I'm not on here much since I bought the car.

I am grateful that I have a good dealership, who were educated enough to know what to do, and aren't going to touch the hardware until they have the software. And he gave me a brand new 2017 Golf Allsport with 500 miles on it as a loaner, too.

But I'm angry. Canaries. We drew the shortest sticks somehow and it sounds like it's going to be a long ride. I'm angry for all of you, the earliest adopters, who are stuck with rotten loaners as salt in the wound, which gets rubbed every day. And I'm frustrated that VW clearly has no idea what's wrong.

I do think the manager at my place will keep me posted. And I'll be in touch with him and update when I can get any new information.

What's the latest count here on the forum - how many of us have this specific 2009 DSG 'won't take the software' issue? 4 or 5? More?

Edited to Add: I just remembered that the manager used the VWGOA site to indicate that my car has no fix yet. So there has to be something in my data with them that They Know somehow. When I logged in just now it says there is not yet an approved fix for my car, even though I got a letter saying I could go to the dealership ... What about comparing VINs as well as date of make/country? Mine's 3VWTL7AJ5AM647333, and Mexico 12/23/09 (as I mentioned above).

Grasping for ideas,
Thanks Adrienne!

I was trying to figure out how many cars could be affected ... your dealership is one of the good ones! I wonder if that was 307 cars currently stuck at dealerships nationwide, or 307 '09 vehicles total? There is my car and another identical silver sportwagen at my dealership in san diego; last week I had called around to two other local dealerships, who ran my vin and said my car was OK for the fix....and reported they had not had any of the software issues crop up. Perhaps something has shown up on their systems since I made those inquiries.

And to meerschm's mention of the settlement portal view: for the first 2 weeks after 8/11, my dashboard said that there was a fix available and that my status was to take in to an appointment, and then it switched back over to the previous fix pending status.

In other news.... I was given contact info from my lawyer friend for a vw lawyer on the plaintiff side who is apparently really good. Will be looking into my legal options this next week and will keep this thread informed.
Meg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 03:17   #58
Eliminator SS

I'll consider myself lucky that my '10 (09 built) car is just having shifting problems after the "fix" and I can still drive it.
Eliminator SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:50   #59
Howie09tdi

Claims portal still shows no "Emission modification for your vehicle not ready yet"!
09/08 Jetta TDI
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:01   #60
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie09tdi View Post
Claims portal still shows no "Emission modification for your vehicle not ready yet"!
09/08 Jetta TDI
I do not think they are keeping that web portal up to date.