www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 14th, 2017, 18:22   #31
Meg8

Stopped by my dealership yesterday to get some things out of my car - forgot to take a photo but it is parked curbside, not under trees, but along the main drive from the service front area to the service garages. My passenger door was tough to open (almost seemed sealed shut with something sticky, but couldn't find anything there) and someone had popped out my passenger recliner wheel, which I popped back in....but other than that: it still exists!

My previous service rep is apparently no longer with the company (good) and my case had sort of fallen thru the cracks. They were really apologetic and had me switch out from my enterprise rental gas guzzler to a new Jetta TSI sedan. Which is helpful for the mileage!!

They said there is one other car (parked next to mine) with this issue; it was a silver SportWagen. They said they are no longer accepting these cars for the fix, but I didn't inquire further on the qualifier for non-acceptance. Specific build month cut-off? And only Jettas? I don't know.

For fun, I called two other local dealerships, as if I was going to make an appointment for the fix - they looked up my vin and said they were still making appointments for these early builds, and they have had no dsg re-flash issues yet. And have been processing a lot '09's w/o issue.

Lastly, called the settlement # to see if they are aware of this issue/know anything. The team member I spoke with had not yet heard about it but was appalled on my behalf, then transferred me to her boss. He said that they have just started receiving calls about this. He gave me the Class Counsel #: 1-800-948-2181 to see if there was anything they could help with. I called and left a message around COB today so hoping I get a call-back tomorrow.
Meg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 04:00   #32
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2UADTDI View Post
My 2009 has a build date of 11/2008. The trans is shifting fine after the fix. The trans shifts at higher RPM than before the fix. But are the shift points controlled by the engine computer or the DSG computer?
How can I tell if the DSG software was updated? Can I see it in VCDS?
from my car (subset of VCDS auto-scan pre-fix)
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: None
Part No SW: 02E 300 050 D HW: 02E 927 770 AD
Component: GSG DSG 082 1402
Revision: 05108020 Serial number: 00001009261684
Coding: 0000020
Shop #: WSC 04940 001 00001
VCID: 130B6CE332BF50B9C32-8046

No fault code found.

some of this would change post-fix.

the DSG is under control of its own software.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)

Last edited by meerschm; September 15th, 2017 at 04:06.
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 07:53   #33
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg8 View Post
Stopped by my dealership yesterday to get some things out of my car - forgot to take a photo but it is parked curbside, not under trees, but along the main drive from the service front area to the service garages. My passenger door was tough to open (almost seemed sealed shut with something sticky, but couldn't find anything there) and someone had popped out my passenger recliner wheel, which I popped back in....but other than that: it still exists!

My previous service rep is apparently no longer with the company (good) and my case had sort of fallen thru the cracks. They were really apologetic and had me switch out from my enterprise rental gas guzzler to a new Jetta TSI sedan. Which is helpful for the mileage!!

They said there is one other car (parked next to mine) with this issue; it was a silver SportWagen. They said they are no longer accepting these cars for the fix, but I didn't inquire further on the qualifier for non-acceptance. Specific build month cut-off? And only Jettas? I don't know.

For fun, I called two other local dealerships, as if I was going to make an appointment for the fix - they looked up my vin and said they were still making appointments for these early builds, and they have had no dsg re-flash issues yet. And have been processing a lot '09's w/o issue.

Lastly, called the settlement # to see if they are aware of this issue/know anything. The team member I spoke with had not yet heard about it but was appalled on my behalf, then transferred me to her boss. He said that they have just started receiving calls about this. He gave me the Class Counsel #: 1-800-948-2181 to see if there was anything they could help with. I called and left a message around COB today so hoping I get a call-back tomorrow.
It is getting to be long enough, I want to go start the car, and make sure they move it. my car has never sat in one spot this long. need to avoid flat spots on the tires.

Old September 15th, 2017, 09:33   #34
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

Here's the VCDS results the day before the fix:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-927-770.clb
Part No SW: 02E 300 051 HW: 02E 927 770 AJ
Component: GSG DSG AG6 431 1814
Revision: 04843012 Serial number: 00000807010834
Shop #: WSC 02069 000 90108
VCID: 50A59851C3401EC65A-8004
No fault code found.

And after the fix:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-927-770.clb
Part No SW: 02E 300 052 HW: 02E 927 770 AJ
Component: GSG DSG AG6 431 8938
Revision: 04843012 Serial number: 00000807010834
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 51A39D55C84A17CE55-8004

No fault code found.

A couple differences with my trans and meerschm.
1. Software(SW) version ends in 51 for my pre-fix compared to 50 for your software version
2. Hardware(HW) version ends in AJ while yours ends in AD
3. Component is different. What does 'component' mean"

Recall that my 2009 is fixed and on the road. No issues with DSG trans.
N2UADTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:18   #35
meerschm
Veteran Member

Glad that yours and some other 2009 MY cars with DSG have been updated and are working fine.

I called the dealer, and no updates. did ask him to get the birdie poop washed off again and move the car to another spot (to avoid flat spots on tires) they have to push it for now.

it is not obvious what is different and causes some of these cars not to take the fix.

after a month, it likely is not something simple. this does not mean we will all be driving loaners till Christmas....

There are discussion threads related to use of VCDS to look at software revision updates. there were previous recalls that resulted in software updates for the DSG (and my car had a hardware update before the emissions fix)

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.77j1re5nlUU

Last edited by meerschm; September 15th, 2017 at 11:23.
Old September 19th, 2017, 13:52   #36
meerschm
Veteran Member

Rant:

ok, it has been over a month for a six hour fix.

the loaner is nice, but it does not meet the functional utility of my JSW. no roof rails, no room for five pairs of skis and boots and luggage.

I called "customer pretend to care" and elevated to a "regional mangler" who has no more info, but offered to call me every week or so and let me rant at him.

I thought the settlement provided a choice between fix and $$ or buyback and $$, at the schedule chosen by the owner, up until the end of next year.

at this point, I do not have my car, I do not have the cash, and do not have any info on what the plan is.

what a goat-rope.

you would think that VW would have known what was in the transmission, and if a variant was in the early cars, have tested the software update.

if this goes much longer, I will change my mind, and not want to set foot in my car again, and have it changed to a buyback from the "fix"

this is nuts.

ok, rant on hold.

Old September 19th, 2017, 13:59   #37
allride

TDI(s): 2014 JSW

Sorry to hear.
It deserves a rant.
Seems like you're patient and reasonable (probably more than most of us). Ask them for a similar car w/rack.
I'm still waiting, although I have a MT.
Hope your situation improves.
allride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 14:21   #38
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allride View Post
Sorry to hear.
It deserves a rant.
Seems like you're patient and reasonable (probably more than most of us). Ask them for a similar car w/rack.
I'm still waiting, although I have a MT.
Hope your situation improves.
I'm, curious.. waiting for what??
forrest resto`s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 14:33   #39
meerschm
Veteran Member

I also called the number on the emissions fix web page.

asked if, after a month, if I could be offered the option to change to a buyback

answer is, no buyback after a choice of a fix is made. (they will not open the fix process until verification that the owner agrees that the buy back is off the table)

It really looks like I might have this car till Christmas. wonder how many pairs of skis I can get in the trunk.

Old September 19th, 2017, 18:51   #40
Meg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
I also called the number on the emissions fix web page.

asked if, after a month, if I could be offered the option to change to a buyback

answer is, no buyback after a choice of a fix is made. (they will not open the fix process until verification that the owner agrees that the buy back is off the table)

It really looks like I might have this car till Christmas. wonder how many pairs of skis I can get in the trunk.
Hi,

I lost it over this a couple weeks ago. Kind of glad I'm not the only one who is extremely frustrated.

I don't quite understand the orange colored statement, above? If they had already said no buyback after fix choice is made, then why would they "open the fix process"?

Am considering writing a few journalists about this issue and/or just doing a full-on twitter/facebook blast on VW's site. At the very least, we should have our settlement money in-hand at this point, and I'd like extra $$ for what I spent in gas driving a nissan rogue on two big roadtrips over the past 5 weeks.
Meg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 03:47   #41
meerschm
Veteran Member

Let me clarify.

the settlement allows us (qualified owners) a cash payment, paid after/with either a sell back or installation of the approved fix.

the process VW uses is a web-based sequence, which the dealer service department starts by entering the VIN, instructions to the dealer include entry of a specific coded number, which is provided by someone up the chain, only after verifying the approved fix application for this vin, and specific verification that the car owner understands that proceeding with the fix takes the sell-back off the table.

the service web interface leads the dealer service folks on a step by step process, including taking photos, running software programs on service equipment, replacement of parts, and installation of stickers....

this actual service procedure will not call for changing the car in any way until after the step which verifies that the owner has verified no buy back.

of course, this was all set up assuming that VW knew what it was doing, and had a process that would complete on the subject cars.

after a freakin month, the logic for me falls apart. would be nice, looking back, if there was an additional remedy for us which was triggered by a maximum in-the-shop time for the fix.

reconsider sell-back, additional cash, something.

when I called the emissions info line, it was to ask if they would allow change back to the sell back if the fiasco of partly fixed cars in limbo continues. The answer was, you made your choice, no buy back for you. and by the way, we have no idea how long this will take. anything else I can do for you?

there is a real burden in this for affected owners.

Old September 20th, 2017, 05:32   #42
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
Rant:

ok, it has been over a month for a six hour fix.

the loaner is nice, but it does not meet the functional utility of my JSW. no roof rails, no room for five pairs of skis and boots and luggage.

Where are you skiing this time of year? Keep the pressure on VW be happy knowing you're not the only one and they are aware of the issue.

Have you tried calling some of the ligation lawyers?

Last edited by 740GLE; September 20th, 2017 at 05:34.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 05:37   #43
meerschm
Veteran Member

Just looking forward. based on earlier proven performance... this could be six months.

I was going to upstate NY to fish/camp on top of the car next week.

also would be nice to use the car to transport my bike for a bike ride.

loaner has no hitch reciever, no room inside for the bike ( I guess I could take the bike apart...)

Last edited by meerschm; September 20th, 2017 at 05:40.
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:06   #44
740GLE
Veteran Member

I feel you're pain, this past weekend the dealer had the Alltack for a airbag error. Luckily they gave me a 16 GSW S, I tossed on our roofracks and kayaks and enjoyed the most of it.

As for your rental, with enough tie down strap you can get anything strapped straight to the roof!! hehehe

little known secret all rentals have 4WD and love to catch air. Go mental.

Best of luck and keep us informed.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:39   #45
Howie09tdi

Had my 09 (09/08 build date) in on Sept 8 2017 dealer had loaner ready called 3 hours later unable to do recall due to software issue .Still waiting to hear from dealer
Howie09tdi is offline   Reply With Quote