www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 9th, 2017, 05:05   #16
meerschm
Veteran Member

I know the dealer my car is at has at least three half fixed 2009 TDIs wating for word from VW. (sounds like the service reps cannot see each others' customer base for some reason. sounds like a pretty stupid software design to me. I really do not care about having a personal representative at the dealer, I just want competent service and honest reports.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:53   #17
Meg8

The primary reason for opening a VWCC case was to try to contact the technical services side, as my dealership service technician was telling me that is who they were working with to get a software update. My assigned VWCC rep, however, has said he is unable to contact tech services directly: that he has just been calling the dealerships, or regional managers, perhaps, talking to the same people I had already been speaking with, for an update.

He said that VW technical services is a dealership service...and that customer care cannot talk to directly....which makes NO sense. Especially for an issue that is likely affecting at least 100 customers at this point.
Meg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 19:20   #18
meerschm
Veteran Member

I am fully under the impression that the vw customer care folks exist with one purpose. get folks to go to the local dealer.

period

Old September 11th, 2017, 16:50   #19
Meg8

My VWCC Regional Case Manager called me for another weekly update (today my car has been at the dealership 4 weeks) and had the nerve to report that in the past week, he hasn't had a chance to talk to the dealership or the "field team" on the issue. So it's clearly not that important. He did, however, (somehow) have the update that the option of getting our cars back, either with old hardware back in, or new hardware: all those combinations of options are probably not going to be on the table, even if we are still months out from a fix. He said he can call me again in a week if he hears anything new on a timeline for a fix. I sent him a somewhat strongly worded email a few hours later requesting exact status (if there is a fix/workaround pending approval with EPA/CARB, if they will even need to go through that whole process again, or if they are still working on the reflash fix/update itself? I told him he needs to err on the side of too much information at this point - a month without a real progress report is unacceptable.

Has anyone else heard anything different?

Last edited by Meg8; September 11th, 2017 at 18:54.
Old September 11th, 2017, 16:57   #20
duratitus
Veteran Member

^^^ Are they providing you a courtesy vehicle to drive until they get it resolved?
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 17:36   #21
meerschm
Veteran Member

I went back to pick up another loner (was on the road the past few weeks)

also updated first post here with a summary (let me know or post here, and I will update the first post)

the service rep I talked to said VW called them today to verify that they still have all the cars affected. she considered this a hopeful sign. (why, I do not know)

I joked that the 2016 CC they gave me as a loner would be my daily driver for the next six months.

I asked them for a loaner with a roof rack. no dice.

plans to drive the JSW to upstate NY for some fishing next week, using the car top tent camper.

this is getting serious, interfering with a fishing trip!

Old September 11th, 2017, 18:59   #22
Meg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratitus View Post
^^^ Are they providing you a courtesy vehicle to drive until they get it resolved?
Yes, the settlement allows for loaners while emission fix takes place. But that doesn't really change the fact that they have literally told us zip after a month about what is really going on. Earlier in the thread, you'll see some of us ended up in enterprise car rentals.
Old September 11th, 2017, 19:14   #23
Meg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
I went back to pick up another loner (was on the road the past few weeks)

also updated first post here with a summary (let me know or post here, and I will update the first post)

the service rep I talked to said VW called them today to verify that they still have all the cars affected. she considered this a hopeful sign. (why, I do not know)

I joked that the 2016 CC they gave me as a loner would be my daily driver for the next six months.

I asked them for a loaner with a roof rack. no dice.

plans to drive the JSW to upstate NY for some fishing next week, using the car top tent camper.

this is getting serious, interfering with a fishing trip!
Hi Mike, thanks for the updated initial post. And today's update. It's interesting that they got that call today....I think I'll be paying a visit to my car tomorrow, as I had left a lot of car accessories I have missed and also just to see where/ how mine is doing.

Last edited by Meg8; September 11th, 2017 at 19:25.
Old September 11th, 2017, 19:46   #24
mpriolo

Thanks for the update everyone. I didn't talk with my service rep today as I opted for my updates mid-week. I'll let you know if he has any new information to pass along, but I won't be holding my breath. I think I'll stop by and pay them a personal visit this week (and see where they parked my car) - maybe stop by Enterprise after and see if they have any higher priced loaners I can swap the Altima for. Unfortunately, it is starting to look like I might be driving the loaner for a while.

Marty
1979 Rabbit Diesel (retired, 211K miles)
mpriolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 06:39   #25
JETTATRACKS

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

Thanks for this post people. Keep it going until a resolution. I am following to make decisions on what to do with my 2009 Jetta TDI with build date of 08/08. I live part of the year in Florida and part of the year in Illinois and do not need to have my car tied up in a service center when I need to be somewhere. I want to know when the fixes are complete and reliable. I am depending on this forum and thread for reliable information and not a VW service center. Thanks
JETTATRACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 12:33   #26
mpriolo

Stopped by and spoke with the Service Rep today and unfortunately there is no additional information. He shared some of the correspondance he has had with VW and I found one of the recent replies to him interesting. It said "when there is information available, your dealership will be contacted". Not exactly an encouraging comment.

He also mentioned that another 2009 tdi with a DSG transmission came in this week and VW would not allow the car to be serviced for the emissions recall - customer was told to come back at a later time.

I also checked my tdi while I was there and the build date is 7/08.

I found it interesting that in another thread there is an 09 tdi with a DSG trans that made it through the full recall. The build date for that tdi is 11/08. I mentioned it to the Service Rep and added that the dealership probably didn't re-flas the DSG. He agreed.

3 weeks at the dealership so far. Next week I get to join the 1 month club!

Marty
Old September 13th, 2017, 14:43   #27
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

Do we know why just 2009? Is the hardware (CPU) different for 2009 than 2010 etc?
I don't have the build date on my 2009 but I know it was in late 2008. The car is not here so I can not check. Is the build date on the tag on the B column? Can I get the build date anywhere else? Like some sort of VIN check?
N2UADTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 15:58   #28
mpriolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2UADTDI View Post
Do we know why just 2009? Is the hardware (CPU) different for 2009 than 2010 etc?
I don't have the build date on my 2009 but I know it was in late 2008. The car is not here so I can not check. Is the build date on the tag on the B column? Can I get the build date anywhere else? Like some sort of VIN check?
No, we don't know what the problem is, just speculation at this point. The CPU SW update goes fine. After that, there is a 2nd SW update that needs to be performed on the DSG itself. That is where the failure is occurring. The build date is located at the bottom of the B pillar. I'm not sure if you can find it elsewhere.

Marty
Old September 14th, 2017, 17:38   #29
Eliminator SS

My '10 JSW is at the dealership right now for a shifting problem that I don't like following the "fix". My issue has been a recurrent hard downshift. My car will literally slam into gear while coming up to a stop on a downhill. The dealership claims they can't duplicate the problem so I am going to pick my car up tomorrow I guess.
Eliminator SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 17:45   #30
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

My 2009 has a build date of 11/2008. The trans is shifting fine after the fix. The trans shifts at higher RPM than before the fix. But are the shift points controlled by the engine computer or the DSG computer?
How can I tell if the DSG software was updated? Can I see it in VCDS?

Last edited by N2UADTDI; September 14th, 2017 at 17:48.
N2UADTDI is offline   Reply With Quote