Need help finding trailer wiring for my 2015 Golf

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Jet got my 15 Golf and am in the process of getting a trailer hitch put on. That part does not seem too cosmic but I also need the wiring setupforbthe lights to my trailer also. It needs to be the 4 flat setup. There is a trailer company that is local to me that can get one for $88 and would charge $110 to install it. This seems bit steep to me and would like to see if I can find one cheaper and possibly do it myself.

Can anyone assist me in finding the wiring adapter to make this work?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Tekonsha 118646

Didn't buy there, but that's the unit I used.

If it's a Golf Golf (i.e., not Sportwagen), it's pretty easy. I just tapped 12V for the power from the 12V accessory port ("lighter") in the rear hatch area, ran the wiring under the plastic along the bottom of the hatch opening. Took maybe an hour (after I figured out the wiring adaptations necessary for the GSW).

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Tekonsha 118646

Didn't buy there, but that's the unit I used.

If it's a Golf Golf (i.e., not Sportwagen), it's pretty easy. I just tapped 12V for the power from the 12V accessory port ("lighter") in the rear hatch area, ran the wiring under the plastic along the bottom of the hatch opening. Took maybe an hour (after I figured out the wiring adaptations necessary for the GSW).
Funny enough, that's the same unit the trailer place wanted to charge me $88 for. How does it get the brake signal if you don't splice into any factory wires?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You unplug the connector that goes into the taillight and put this in between the wiring from the car and the tail light.
Instead of car wiring --> tail light assembly, you go car wiring --> 118646 --> tail light assembly.

Look at the photos - you'll see there are male/female connectors as part of the 118646.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
What adaption did you have to do to make this plug-n-play work on the GSW? I don't know why they don't make things for the '15 GSW,had no problems finding aftermarket goodies for the '16 Jetta I had,but the '15 has been a hassle....I bought a Tekonsha wiring kit for the GSW,but it's the one that attaches to the wires of the car w/out splicing or plugging into them( Tekonsha 119259 Modulite)....

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
one thing, If you are installing it on the left side, The panel is super hard to push out to snake wires by to make it hidden, , I gave up and went through the edge of the cover plate and under the sill. and getting power from the cig lighter,, You better have small arms and hands and dont mind scraped up hands and the site of blood........

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What adaption did you have to do to make this plug-n-play work on the GSW? I don't know why they don't make things for the '15 GSW,had no problems finding aftermarket goodies for the '16 Jetta I had,but the '15 has been a hassle....I bought a Tekonsha wiring kit for the GSW,but it's the one that attaches to the wires of the car w/out splicing or plugging into them( Tekonsha 119259 Modulite)....
Looks like this once I finished with my 118646 (apologies for not taking a "before" photo):

IIRC, the one made specifically for the GSW (that didn't involve splicing) used electromagnetic energy to signal Tekonsha unit to light up the trailer lights. I might be misremembering exact details, but it just didn't sound very reliable.

Last edited: