www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 28th, 2017, 21:15   #16
Slickshoes

My option 3 was "Continue driving the car and do nothing and hold out as long as possible.". Holding out as long as possible before having to sell my car back. So it varied from your option of doing nothing all together. I feel holding out makes the most sense and allows for the highest ROI. However, as you stated tadawson, not everyone is in it for the money. I certainly love my car too but I'll make the financially sound decision here and maxi out the term and not worry about depreciation on another vehicle, while collecting a chunk of cash in the end : D
Slickshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 06:05   #17
rambalu80
Veteran Member

I am in a similar situation as SlickShoes, with the exception that I have decided that I will be doing the buyback and already have an approved offer from VW as of Jan 2017. All I have to do is sign, notarize and return the offer, and schedule my buyback date. I am also quite certain on what the replacement will be, but I am holding out because:

1. We still love the 2011 JSW
2. It runs just fine
3. Its fully paid off
4. The only foreseeable expenses over the next year are an oil change, a fuel filter change and registration renewal
5. It seems to me like a wise financial decision to hold on to it in for another year.

As for possible differences from the offer I have received, I am currently tracking well under 12000 miles a year and if anything, I expect at least $450 more (and perhaps $930 more) than the buyback amount on the offer depending on how long I hold on to the JSW.

All of this said, I am hearing mixed responses on whether or not VW has to honor buybacks after they have hit their minimum goal of 85% even if it is well before the deadline of December 2018.

From the first few responses on this thread, I gather that VW will have to accept my car (all other conditions being met) as long as I have signed up for buyback before Sep 2018 and turn my car in before Dec 31 2018.

Last edited by rambalu80; September 1st, 2017 at 06:44.
rambalu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 06:21   #18
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
All of this said, I am hearing mixed responses on whether or not VW has to honor buybacks after they have hit their minimum goal of 85% even if it is well before the deadline of December 2018.
There is no ambiguity in any of the settlement materials--VW must honor buybacks for the entire settlement period.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 09:45   #19
Slickshoes

Here we go again. I dropped my car off for a free inspection today and ran into the same service representative. She quickly recalled our previous conversation and said "so have you determined what you are going to do with your car?". I replied with "not yet". She then began explaining again that VW is at 65% and once they reach 80% you will not get reimbursed for the buyback or modification option. How can this representative blatantly lie and try to pressure people like that? If she told me that VW will get fined if they don't meet a certain % by a certain date that's one thing, but this is going too far!
Old November 7th, 2017, 10:06   #20
740GLE
Veteran Member

That's some good salesmanship right there, the dealer should give her a gold sticker for the month.

Wont be the first nor last time someone at a dealer lies, don't take it personal.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 10:37   #21
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshoes View Post
Here we go again. I dropped my car off for a free inspection today and ran into the same service representative. She quickly recalled our previous conversation and said "so have you determined what you are going to do with your car?". I replied with "not yet". She then began explaining again that VW is at 65% and once they reach 80% you will not get reimbursed for the buyback or modification option. How can this representative blatantly lie and try to pressure people like that? If she told me that VW will get fined if they don't meet a certain % by a certain date that's one thing, but this is going too far!
We know the 80 % is wrong.

Wonder if she is correct about the 65 % figure ?
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 10:56   #22
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
My option 3 was "Continue driving the car and do nothing and hold out as long as possible.".

Holding out as long as possible before having to sell my car back. So it varied from your option of doing nothing all together.

I feel holding out makes the most sense and allows for the highest ROI. However, as you stated tadawson, not everyone is in it for the money.

I certainly love my car too but I'll make the financially sound decision here and maxi out the term and not worry about depreciation on another vehicle, while collecting a chunk of cash in the end : D

..... by doing the BB at the last possible time ... is great in two ways.

1) Less depreciation on your new car

2) The longer you take to get a new car the cheaper it will be
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:29   #23
showdown 42
Veteran Member

The situation with the 3.0s is quite different. Gen#1 is now either fix (there is no fix yet) or sell back, Gen#2-3 is now fix or nothing. They have stopped the buy back, so you are somewhat screwed if you want a new car. Selling the car will be an issue from a market value. I'm in the first group and will wait for the fix. If nothing I will sell back for a crazy amount since my car has very low mileage. I will then turn around and buy a newer 15 or 16 with low mileage.

The whole thing stinks from top to bottom.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 14:28   #24
fr@nknb33n$

TDI(s): 2012 Golf
Fuel Economy: 40MPG

I agree with everyone. I'm keeping mine till the bitter end. My 2012 Golf has 98,000 miles. I'll be doing the last oil change and fuel filter replacement in a couple of months. But will ride it out till August. Should have about 108,000 by then, if that. I'm still rocking OEM brake pads and rotors. LOL. I'm an engine braker, love to downshift. Clutch is fine too. Getting a solid 40MPG.

A new car payment is going to be easily $500/per month x 10 months...that's another $5,000 I can pocket on top of the $19K I'll be getting from VW. Win, win.

Trust me, not easy, I would love to slip into a 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn...my friggin door latches have been acting up, not allowing me to close my driver and passenger door. I refuse to pay VW the quoted $600 a door to repair. Bungie cords are working quite well for now. LOL. Ding all you want, dashboard.

Last edited by fr@nknb33n$; November 7th, 2017 at 14:33.
fr@nknb33n$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 18:25   #25
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Q: How do you know whether a car salesperson is lying?

A: Their lips are moving.

As others have stated ... VW has NO CHOICE but to honor buyback appointments through to the end of the settlement period. You have to make a commitment before a certain date which I believe is Sept 2018, and the buyback has to be completed by Dec 2018.

Aim to get it done in August to be sure.

Plenty of folks here are more educated on this settlement than dealer salespeople are.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 22:53   #26
surfstar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown 42 View Post
If nothing I will sell back for a crazy amount since my car has very low mileage. I will then turn around and buy a newer 15 or 16 with low mileage.

The whole thing stinks from top to bottom.
Really?
That sounds [smells] like a pretty good deal to me.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 20:28   #27
Slickshoes

So, I recently looked up the KBB value of my car. 2015 Passat TDI SEL in excellent condition with 36,000 miles. Trade in value is $14,586-$16,533 and private sale value is $17,205-$19,520.

The buyback valuation is $33,556.73 (projecting miles 35,001 - 40,000). If I put another 10k miles on my car the valuation only drops down to $32,476.73, which is only a $1,080 difference. Another 10k miles on top of that only a $1,050 difference.

I guess I need to rack up as many miles as possible between now and September 2018. Challenge accepted!
Old February 23rd, 2018, 17:18   #28
walterwood

Default 23U3 modification vs. buyback - - which is better?

What conclusions have been reached by the experts here about the basic "buy back" vs. "do modification" decision? I have a 2009 TDI Jetta SW in CA, with 33,063 mileage, not yet 23U3 "modified," soon to need a CA "smog" certification. Am I correct that it will not "pass" smog testing unless I do the 23U3 "modification" ? Has there now been enough experience with the "modification" to know what it will do to the long term life of the engine and MPG? Should I have VW buy back my car or alternatively should I go ahead with the "modification" and keep it? I like the car and am thinking do the modification unless this will lead to problems. Any advise?
walterwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 19:33   #29
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

It will pass your smog test. (It was designed to.) Since California is one of the many states that accepted money from the VW settlement, they are also obligated to NOT require you to have the fix done.

You will get an additional 4 years of warranty on the engine and the emission control systems, and most importantly, on that infernal HPFP. You're not putting enough mileage on the car to run into the mileage limits of the warranty.

(Are you really only driving 4000 mile per year??)
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 20:31   #30
walterwood

Default RE: 23U3 modification vs. buyback - - which is better?

So now I'm thinking do the CA smog test without first doing the "modification" and further postpone the decision. Low mileage is because not commuting anymore. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
It will pass your smog test. (It was designed to.) Since California is one of the many states that accepted money from the VW settlement, they are also obligated to NOT require you to have the fix done.

You will get an additional 4 years of warranty on the engine and the emission control systems, and most importantly, on that infernal HPFP. You're not putting enough mileage on the car to run into the mileage limits of the warranty.

(Are you really only driving 4000 mile per year??)
walterwood is offline   Reply With Quote