www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 24th, 2017, 19:44   #1
Slickshoes

Question Did the dealership tell me accurate buyback information???

So I was recently at my local Vw dealership as it was time for my 30,000 mile oil change and check up. BTW, I own a 2015 Vw Passat TDI SEL that was affected by the emissions scandal. I haven't officially decided if I'm going to take the cash once they fix the vehicle and keep it or sell the car back to Vw. However, I was having this discussion with my service representative whom coincidentally was having the same dilemma I am with her Vw diesel. Then she mentioned well " you better hurry". I responded with why??? She then told me that 65% of people affected by the scandal have made their decisions and once VW reaches 85% of the affected vehicles they don't have to provide any reimbursement whether you keep it or sell it. Is this accurate?????? Or am I getting fed horse manure?

I did run across this in an article I read "Part of Volkswagen's agreement with regulators said that if 85 percent of the vehicles equipped with defeat devices hadn't been fixed by 2019, the automaker would be forced to pony up additional fines". I'm curious if this is what she (the service rep) was referring to?

Can someone help provide clarity on this matter
Slickshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 20:56   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

No, they've misunderstood. The 85% was a target, but they have to keep offering the deal to anyone who wants it ... as long as they act before the deadline, which IIRC is Sept 2018 to file and Dec 2018 to get it done (whether buyback or fix).

If they don't reach that target then VW has to pay additional fines, but they do not have to stop offering the deal to consumers if they exceed that target.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 21:01   #3
PacCoastFwy923
Veteran Member

GoFaster is correct, and additionally, counsel lead attorney Elizabeth Cabraser addressed this exact concern in her Q&A session in March:

http://jalopnik.com/ask-the-lead-die...bou-1793506282
Old August 25th, 2017, 01:07   #4
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Exactly, there is no way VW would be allowed to just stop all of a sudden. They MUST reach AT LEAST 85% to satisfy the terms of settlement. If they do that before deadline, they will just end the program at deadline. If they do not, they will have to extend the program to get to 85%.

However, she is correct that over 60% of cars were already taken care of.
TDIforDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:49   #5
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIforDays View Post
Exactly, there is no way VW would be allowed to just stop all of a sudden. They MUST reach AT LEAST 85% to satisfy the terms of settlement. If they do that before deadline, they will just end the program at deadline. If they do not, they will have to extend the program to get to 85%.
There's no provision in any of the settlements to extend the program. As already stated, if they don't reach 85%, they need to pay additional fines.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 06:10   #6
demagxc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshoes View Post
I haven't officially decided if I'm going to take the cash once they fix the vehicle and keep it or sell the car back to Vw.
Just an FYI, you can either get the fix OR sell it back. Its one or the other. You cant take the fix and then sell it back under the buyback program after the fact. So before you bring it in for the fix just be sure that's what you want because there is no going back.
demagxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 08:40   #7
rustycat
Veteran Member

We opted to do the buyback on our 13 and bought a new embargoed 15. Seeing the prices on Craigslist, I wonder if I should have bought used instead. But, that's water over the dam.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/searc...i+sel&sort=rel
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 09:28   #8
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demagxc View Post
Just an FYI, you can either get the fix OR sell it back. Its one or the other. You cant take the fix and then sell it back under the buyback program after the fact. So before you bring it in for the fix just be sure that's what you want because there is no going back.
Actually, there are three viable choices. The Fix, The Buyback, and Do Nothing . . . (the settlement prevents states that have taken $$ from denying registration for the "Do Nothing" crowd.)
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 10:41   #9
Slickshoes

Thanks to everyone for providing clarity. I had a feeling the service representative was somewhat confused with her interpretation. Currently, here are my options: 1. Get it fixed and receive $8,081.73. 2. Sell it back and receive $33,556.73. 3. Continue driving the car and do nothing and hold out as long as possible.

I think option three provides the best bang for my buck. I can continue to drive my car while incurring very minor depreciation. Still owe 9k and want to pay the car off as well. Why expedite the decision making process just to put wear and tear on another new vehicle? I'm going to take advantage of Vw's lack of integrity on this one. Plus, I just sunk some money into the car for the 30,000 mile check up. Just my 2 cents.
Old August 26th, 2017, 20:34   #10
PacCoastFwy923
Veteran Member

I agree with your analysis of Option #3. I'd have done the same (and my frugal wife, too) if she didn't have such a disagreeable relationship with the Passat. Not that it was a bad car -- she bought the wrong car and didn't realize it until too late.

But you're right. We bought the replacement car at the end of September. It's got 10,000 miles on it now, was rear ended in a minor incident, has curb-rashed wheels, and the model is about to receive a major redesign for the 2018 model year. She could have been driving the Passat this whole time, losing practically no value, all in anticipation of a new car a year from now.

Financially, strictly speaking, we made a poor choice. But she's really happy with replacement car, accidents happen, she'd curb her wheels no matter what or when, and it's not like the decision has negatively impacted us.

If it were just me, I'd have stuck it out until the end.
Old August 27th, 2017, 08:22   #11
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for providing clarity. I had a feeling the service representative was somewhat confused with her interpretation. Currently, here are my options: 1. Get it fixed and receive $8,081.73. 2. Sell it back and receive $33,556.73. 3. Continue driving the car and do nothing and hold out as long as possible.
<snip>
What you list as option #3 isn't exactly correct, given your subsequent description of what you plan to do. Option #3 means to "just keep it, period, and drive on." You do nothing, get no money, but if your state has taken a piece of the settlement pie, they cannot refuse to license and register your car based on its emissions.
What it appears you are intending to do, by which I take the sense of "-holding out as long as possible-", is to do the "holdout" strategy on #1: wait until late next year and turn it in for the buyback. That's exactly what we're doing, and for the same reason. The car can be driven on the cheap, very low cost per mile, for nearly another year and a half, and if it gets some dings, road rash, windshield chips -all those things cars accumulate- they simply disappear with the car, for which we get a check for only a few thousand less than we paid in 2013.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 09:37   #12
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups
Angry The dealer is an idiot

NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 05:58   #13
Slickshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
What you list as option #3 isn't exactly correct, given your subsequent description of what you plan to do. Option #3 means to "just keep it, period, and drive on."
In my opinion option 3 is correct "keep it, period, and drive on" is referring to holding out as long as possible until I am forced to make a decision. It's clearly obvious no one will want to keep the car and just keep driving it, thus failing to collect on free money. Hence, why I didn't feel the need to provide further explanation. Clearly, everyone else understood my point. However, thanks for clarifying as it sounds like we are both in the same boat
Old August 28th, 2017, 06:15   #14
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's clearly obvious no one will want to keep the car and just keep driving it, thus failing to collect on free money.
No, it isn't "clearly obvious" (which I guess is more obvious than simply "obvious"). You might think so, but there have been a number of folks here who have said they're doing this very thing.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 12:01   #15
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
In my opinion option 3 is correct "keep it, period, and drive on" is referring to holding out as long as possible until I am forced to make a decision. It's clearly obvious no one will want to keep the car and just keep driving it, thus failing to collect on free money. Hence, why I didn't feel the need to provide further explanation. Clearly, everyone else understood my point. However, thanks for clarifying as it sounds like we are both in the same boat
Considering that I think I was the first to mention 'option #3', fwiw, I certainly was *NOT* referring to a simple delay. A lot of folks have considered never doing anything, pending reports (or even availability) of fixes. As I have said over and over: Not everything is based on money . . . Had there been no fix for my Passat, I would likely be on that track as well, With no viable replacement (to me) out there, it would be the only logical choice . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote