www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 5th, 2017, 07:11   #46
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
Owain and I have exchanged a few emails over the last few days and....I am now very satisfied I made the decision to 'keep and fix', because the $5.1k will go a long ways towards:
- Owain's Stage 1.....that's all I need/want
- suspension refit, including some nice Konis, an improved rear sway bar, replacing all even slightly worn bushings, tie rod ends, etc
- timing belt change
- fixing my stupid, two year dead radio
- have some money left over for a good celebration

Bottom line: if you can't live with the reduced performance, u can fix that too for about 10% of what VW will be giving you -and have a helluva nice warranty to boot.
I am of the understanding that a fix warranty extension is voided if there is a ECU tune of any type done. I don't know if VW came out directly and stated that in print. Pretty sure that is the case. If one can switch between fix tune and aftermarket tune, if that isn't detectable by VW service, then I suppose it's possible. I'm not aware if Malone tunes can be switched back to factory post-fix tunes - if they can (and if so, how?), I would be interested in a post-fix tune, if a post-fix Malone tune isn't also a neutered tune and can't get back the normal performance these tunes used to do before the emissions fix.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:20   #47
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
You can also record some engine data, too, for before and after results. However it is important to remember that DPF regen cycles could skew the results if data is obtained in short concentrated events. Long(er) term data gathering is better.
I was/am planning on checking the effects of the fix over 1000 up to 5000 miles, before and after. The before numbers will be a little off due to summer and my wife not driving to school every day. That will also include our summer vacation of about 3000 miles with the bikes on the back.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:28   #48
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I think most tuners would agree that if you tune the car you risk detection by VW and voiding the warranty. Even if you flash the ECU back to fixed stock prior to visiting the dealer, they can detect the number of times the ECU has been flashed and may use that as a reason to deny warranty coverage. However, I (and tuners I've talked to) think this is unlikely.

The warranty post-dieselgate applies to cars that are fixed. If you tune the car you should not be eligible for warranty repairs on the emissions system. If you re-flash to stock prior to a warranty visit you are deceiving VW. This may or may not bother some, but it is what it is.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:47   #49
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kevinski4
"So first everyone is angry that VW "cheated", and now that VW fixed it, they are angry that they themselves can't cheat? Got it".
.....no not everybody was angry.I being one that was not angry at all.personally i did not give a hoot.( my opinion only: epa and carb. have gone way overboard on their powers/requirements) my only beef is that the fix..may defeat some of the reasons I bought the car..although me personally am still debating the fix..and also look forward cautiously to vw honoring the ext. warranty to the tee....time will tell!

forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 16:04   #50
Galo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
The warranty post-dieselgate applies to cars that are fixed. If you tune the car you should not be eligible for warranty repairs on the emissions system. If you re-flash to stock prior to a warranty visit you are deceiving VW. This may or may not bother some, but it is what it is.
And here's where my conscience will be fine: VW cheated all of us for a looooooong time, and payback (if needed) will be very sweet.
Galo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 16:43   #51
tadawson
Veteran Member

I'll take a dime . . . If I have been damaged, I've yet to find out how or where . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 18:04   #52
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest resto`s View Post
Originally Posted by Kevinski4
"So first everyone is angry that VW "cheated", and now that VW fixed it, they are angry that they themselves can't cheat? Got it".
.....no not everybody was angry.I being one that was not angry at all.personally i did not give a hoot.( my opinion only: epa and carb. have gone way overboard on their powers/requirements) my only beef is that the fix..may defeat some of the reasons I bought the car..although me personally am still debating the fix..and also look forward cautiously to vw honoring the ext. warranty to the tee....time will tell!

EPA has a very important goal. I know NOx is not good for our new asthmatic cohort.

But don't forget, the emissions are based on parts per million. If you use LESS fuel, you emit less NOx per mile. And if your miles are on the road, you don't contribute to city NOx.

And personally, I want to use less fuel, so I generate less carbon dioxide. Deniers are dinosaurs.

And by the way...I will "cheat" and lie like I stole it. Use less, get farther. To me, it is NOT about the money.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 05:20   #53
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post

But don't forget, the emissions are based on parts per million. If you use LESS fuel, you emit less NOx per mile. And if your miles are on the road, you don't contribute to city NOx.
Regardless of fuel consumed, VW was way above grams of NOx/mile threashold set by epa/carb under certain circumstances. Only thing we can really argue is the threshold for a small commuter car vs 3/4 ton or heavy duty diesels is where the EPA went wrong.

Or we can complain about the EPA/CARB turning a blind eye to fine particulate matter form the millions of DI gas engines in real wold driving. With 7K miles on the CARB complaint Alltrack, the tail pipes are quite black.

Last edited by 740GLE; September 15th, 2017 at 05:23.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 17:43   #54
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Regardless of fuel consumed, VW was way above grams of NOx/mile threashold set by epa/carb under certain circumstances. Only thing we can really argue is the threshold for a small commuter car vs 3/4 ton or heavy duty diesels is where the EPA went wrong.

Or we can complain about the EPA/CARB turning a blind eye to fine particulate matter form the millions of DI gas engines in real world driving. With 7K miles on the CARB complaint Alltrack, the tail pipes are quite black.
Oh, yes. CAFE standards are unpopular, but more pertinent to really reducing overall emissions than the NOx standard for passenger cars. And yes, compliant V8s and V6s are a big part of the fleet on US roads. I would include SUVs in that category.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257

Last edited by dubStrom; September 24th, 2017 at 05:26.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 22:36   #55
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest resto`s View Post
what to do after neutered..been reading that some cars are really ruined after mod.. what are our options to fix this?.. according to the description from VW this should not be this bad...loss of power and really dropped mpg's...I have an appointment for my 2011 6mt next week and am seriously concerned that my car will be ruined.....where do we draw the line where the fix does more negative results than VW says it will do..e.g. 4-6 loss of mpg...10-25% loss of power? what will be enough loss that it is unacceptable?? Where/when will we say, or draw a line and say "this is not what is supposed to happen//you have ruined my car..this IS unacceptable"
The option that I am taking at this point is to leave my TDI stock. I don't get the impetus to take the "fix" after practically no development and testing period on the TDIs concerned. A lot of people apparently have a real need for the money offered...I value the car more than the hassle pay for the "fix".

2015 VW Golf SportWagen TDI S, 6-speed manual
2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 6.7L Cummins, 6-speed manual
Miss_Athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 02:32   #56
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Some want the fix for the extra warranty that comes with it. The cash doesn't hurt either. Some will take the cash and just tune it as well.
Old January 25th, 2018, 05:07   #57
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Some want the fix for the extra warranty that comes with it. The cash doesn't hurt either. Some will take the cash and just tune it as well.
This. A tune improves on the original 2015 setup. Once you've driven one of these engines with a good tune it's hard to go back.
Old January 25th, 2018, 06:45   #58
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
This. A tune improves on the original 2015 setup. Once you've driven one of these engines with a good tune it's hard to go back.
Just remember, the tune will void your extended warranty you had coming out of the fix. That also has to be a consideration in your cost of the tune.
Old January 25th, 2018, 07:07   #59
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
Just remember, the tune will void your extended warranty you had coming out of the fix. That also has to be a consideration in your cost of the tune.
Perhaps. But I don't feel this is a big a deal as others do. If I want to take it to the dealer I can have it re-flashed to stock before taking it in. But without the fix, most think component life will be longer than with the fix. So, not much of a gamble.
Old January 25th, 2018, 07:44   #60
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Perhaps. But I don't feel this is a big a deal as others do. If I want to take it to the dealer I can have it re-flashed to stock before taking it in. But without the fix, most think component life will be longer than with the fix. So, not much of a gamble.
As I understand it, the coding version changes (or rather indexes) with each flash. So if your car left with an emissions flash and came back with the same emissions flash it had when the emissions fix was done, but the coding version was different, VW would reject your warranty (unless VW reflashed and documented the change). You can check with Ross-Tech if you like.