www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 25th, 2017, 14:38   #31
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
I have read all your posts in this thread, and I think you are a candidate for the buyback, not the fix. Whatever losses are involved with the car, sounds like they're going to stick in your craw as long as you drive it. If not the buyback, then maybe you're one of that group (I suspect a rather small one) that should just do nothing, and drive on.
Well..I love my car.. but now thru some research I am seriously thinking of selling it back and getting a 2015 Passat 6mt.. almost an even swap..From what I see. I just co-signed a "new" 2015 passat sel for my daughter at 0% and a great discount she's very happy...last one at the dealer though.. Now I may be getting excited!.Now I just have to find one somewhat near me..oh well.. moving forward.. thanx all!

Last edited by forrest resto`s; August 25th, 2017 at 15:38.
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:52   #32
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post
So first everyone is angry that VW "cheated", and now that VW fixed it, they are angry that they themselves can't cheat? Got it.
I am mostly mad that they got caught, or possibly that they prioritized performance rather than FE while engineering the cheat. You can always get a tune if your priority is power and higher performance. I want torque for holding speed on hills, and exceptional FE. Now I get NEITHER. Oh I can hold speed on hills, but FE plummets. Never did on my 2014 JSW. THAT, I miss.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:02   #33
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

I'm just hanging out waiting for more feedback from people after their fix...still can't make up my mind on fix or buyback..at least we have plenty of time to wait! Hoping to hear from someone that gets a mild tune after the fix and how much it improved the mpg's and power...
Old September 1st, 2017, 13:33   #34
tadawson
Veteran Member

Good call! I don't think that there is enough data to draw a meaningful conclusion yet, and many are likely still in the process of re-adaptation post-fix, and not stable yet.

Last edited by tadawson; September 1st, 2017 at 16:28.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 14:00   #35
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest resto`s View Post
I'm just hanging out waiting for more feedback from people after their fix...still can't make up my mind on fix or buyback..at least we have plenty of time to wait! Hoping to hear from someone that gets a mild tune after the fix and how much it improved the mpg's and power...
If you are considering it for the 2015 Passat, I would definitely hold off. What kind of FE are you getting? My 2013 6MT Passat got phenomenal FE and had excellent torque. I only traded it because I wanted the wagon, which did pretty good (FE) but not as good as the Passat. But you have a different engine (last version). I am curious how it does. Mine had urea system, but sipped it (over 10k to refill).

If I still had my 2014 JSW, I would walk away with NO restitution, NO buyback. It was an awesome car. Stupid reckless MB E350 driver took it away.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 15:02   #36
Galo
Veteran Member

Owain and I have exchanged a few emails over the last few days and....I am now very satisfied I made the decision to 'keep and fix', because the $5.1k will go a long ways towards:
- Owain's Stage 1.....that's all I need/want
- suspension refit, including some nice Konis, an improved rear sway bar, replacing all even slightly worn bushings, tie rod ends, etc
- timing belt change
- fixing my stupid, two year dead radio
- have some money left over for a good celebration

Bottom line: if you can't live with the reduced performance, u can fix that too for about 10% of what VW will be giving you -and have a helluva nice warranty to boot.
Galo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 16:10   #37
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
Owain and I have exchanged a few emails over the last few days and....I am now very satisfied I made the decision to 'keep and fix', because the $5.1k will go a long ways towards:
- Owain's Stage 1.....that's all I need/want
- suspension refit, including some nice Konis, an improved rear sway bar, replacing all even slightly worn bushings, tie rod ends, etc
- timing belt change
- fixing my stupid, two year dead radio
- have some money left over for a good celebration

Bottom line: if you can't live with the reduced performance, u can fix that too for about 10% of what VW will be giving you -and have a helluva nice warranty to boot.
careful what you say about "taking care" of what vw did to our cars.. (tuning) and keeping the warranty.. alot of people on here don't like that...Personally I would love to "fix" the fix or at least improve the fix,,,and if I can keep the warranty also that would be awesome! but I have been called "low class"for even thinking that

Last edited by forrest resto`s; September 1st, 2017 at 16:30.
Old September 1st, 2017, 16:15   #38
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post
If you are considering it for the 2015 Passat, I would definitely hold off. What kind of FE are you getting? My 2013 6MT Passat got phenomenal FE and had excellent torque. I only traded it because I wanted the wagon, which did pretty good (FE) but not as good as the Passat. But you have a different engine (last version). I am curious how it does. Mine had urea system, but sipped it (over 10k to refill).

If I still had my 2014 JSW, I would walk away with NO restitution, NO buyback. It was an awesome car. Stupid reckless MB E350 driver took it away.
Not sure if I understand .. the car I am considering buyback is my 2011 jetta.. I love the car...best mpg's is 47 on a long trip..would be better with a tune.. just breaking it in at 50,000 miles..it would be nice to have a "newer" jetta or passat but they don't make a passat 6mt with sunroof from what I have been told though..we'll see.. Thanx!

Last edited by forrest resto`s; September 1st, 2017 at 16:26.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 13:35   #39
Galo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest resto`s View Post
careful what you say about "taking care" of what vw did to our cars.. (tuning) and keeping the warranty.. alot of people on here don't like that...Personally I would love to "fix" the fix or at least improve the fix,,,and if I can keep the warranty also that would be awesome! but I have been called "low class"for even thinking that
In that case, I am definitely a no-class guy....
Galo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 14:55   #40
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You were described as low class for saying you would lie about your tune to the dealer to cheat and maintain your warranty. That is low class, no way around it. Get the tune and don't lie about it, then you are a stand up guy. Liars are never well thought of by anyone, except Galo I guess. Maybe you can start your own "low class liars club".
Old September 2nd, 2017, 16:32   #41
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
You were described as low class for saying you would lie about your tune to the dealer to cheat and maintain your warranty. That is low class, no way around it. Get the tune and don't lie about it, then you are a stand up guy. Liars are never well thought of by anyone, except Galo I guess. Maybe you can start your own "low class liars club".
.. where does it say I would lie.where did I say i would "lie"..you presumed that.. and I am offended by your accusations...totally unnecessary and presumptuous on your part.. unbelievable.. I am naive about tunes and just was inquiring about them.. I don't know about the legalities of a tune for your information...

Last edited by forrest resto`s; September 2nd, 2017 at 16:49.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 16:39   #42
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

here's the link where I inquired about a tune.. where do I say I would "lie" to anyone?.. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481155
Old September 3rd, 2017, 22:35   #43
mdl3r1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
Owain and I have exchanged a few emails over the last few days and....I am now very satisfied I made the decision to 'keep and fix', because
Hey Galo,
So, since you say warranty at the end here, does the one single Stage 1 tune simply improve things a bit, without messing with any of the VW Modifications, thus the warranty is intact, legally and logically as well?
Just wanna understand , and do the right thing...and if an "optimization" optimizes, and does not touch the VW mods, it should be all kosher all around, no?
Thanks for clarifying.....I have my modification pending but was days away....
107K miles
mdl3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 06:18   #44
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post
So first everyone is angry that VW "cheated", and now that VW fixed it, they are angry that they themselves can't cheat? Got it.
My observation also...
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 06:26   #45
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

I got the fix, but have very few miles on the car (2011) yet. Initial impressions on performance is...no change. MPG I will have to wait and see, but even a little loss still puts it in the exceptional fuel economy range. I am glad I did the fix, I have taken great care of the car, and it suits my needs perfectly. Also used some of the $5700 to fix my crapped-out AC compressor and repair my leaking DSG mechatronics gasket, both things I would have had to go out-of-pocket for otherwise. The extended warranty is also a plus as I always planned on keeping the car until the wheels fell off.
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote