Sturgeon Bay,WI Cruise/GTG Fall 2017

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Hopefully this is enough notice for some more people to make to the cruise/gtg.

When: October 21st, 2017

Start Time: 9 AM

Where: 203 Keel Ct Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235

The plan of events is that we meet at our shop to begin the cruise and the fall colors should be pretty close peak colors, maybe a week behind so that should make for a great cruise. The cruise usually takes anywhere from 2.5-3 hours depending on how many stops we make.

Once we get back we fire up the grill to cook some burgers and brats, so if you could bring something to pass that would be very helpful. Depending on the number of people interested I can pick up some burgers from our local meat shop.

Then if you want/need to work on your car we can pull it into the shop and put it on the 2-post if need be.

If there is enough interest in getting a Malone tune for your VW, JFettig may be willing to make the trip here.

If you have any questions feel free to post up here or send me a pm

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Awesome! You have to bring some brats again, since they were amazing at the spring cruise/gtg.:D
Yeah, it would be great if you could make it Lawson, since last time you were here you didn't get to do a lot of exploring the back roads.;)
No not really... too busy with Fest stuff. Although I did get that awesome drive in your Jetta and we went for a drive around the peninsula in our Passat on Monday after Fest. :cool:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
No not really... too busy with Fest stuff. Although I did get that awesome drive in your Jetta and we went for a drive around the peninsula in our Passat on Monday after Fest. :cool:
Yeah, Fest kept us all pretty busy until Sunday afternoon when we got to go for a spin like you mentioned. There's nothing better then a personalized tour of an amazing area like we have here in Door County.;)

Here's what you'll be missing out on.:p

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah, Fest kept us all pretty busy until Sunday afternoon when we got to go for a spin like you mentioned. There's nothing better then a personalized tour of an amazing area like we have here in Door County.;)

Here's what you'll be missing out on.:p
Now that is an inviting road! :D

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Date looks good! I'll be there...

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Awesome. This time you'll have to make sure you get there a little earlier than you did for the spring cruise/gtg.;)
Busted... Got me on that one... :eek:

Any word from Jon about this year? I'm looking to get a tune...

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, keep me/us posted if you would. Thanks!

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
The way things are starting to look, down here, I wonder if there will be any leaves left up there, for this.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
Leaves or not, it should be a fun drive! :D

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
The way things are starting to look, down here, I wonder if there will be any leaves left up there, for this.
I think there will still be plenty of leaves on the trees for the cruise;)

Leaves or not, it should be a fun drive! :D
I couldn't agree more. I'm just hoping for a rain free cruise:)

It's looking like there should be a good turn out for the cruise/gtg, since I've got this posted up on VWVortex and had a few people over there have expressed interest.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
Great! Glad to hear it.

You going to have your Jetta there? I'm sure everyone would love to see it!

Any word from kevinski?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Great! Glad to hear it.
You going to have your Jetta there? I'm sure everyone would love to see it!
Any word from kevinski?
I can bring the Jetta over to the shop, but I'll be taking the RTDI on the cruise:D

I haven't heard one way or the other from kevinski, but I'm sure the more people needing/asking for a Malone tune will help encourage him to attend the cruise/gtg.;)

So send him a pm with the tune you're looking to put on your car.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
If anyone needs it, I'll have my laptop, with VCDS, along. I only have a K2 cable, though, for the A4 cars. If you need a newer car scanned, someone will have to provide a newer cable.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, I live about two hours away from you.
How many do you think are coming?
Going to see if I can drive up. Thanks and good luck
I'm not really sure who's going to attend the gtg... It's going on whether there's 2 cars or 20 cars;)
All I know is the weather is supposed to phenomenal this coming weekend and the trees will be in their prime colors, so it will make for an awesome cruise.:D

Hope to see you Saturday morning.:cool:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
It sounds like a great weekend, but I'm not going to be able to make it :(. Extended family coming in from North Carolina and Columbia, son has a bike race in Iola, etc and I can't get away for enough time to make it up there and back.

Someday Eric, I promise!

Have fun everyone and stay safe!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool, I’ll let you know this week. Bug is in the shop getting a timing belt and tune with nozzles. Thanks
P.s. I live in the Madison area
I'm going to assume Jaon is working on your Beetle if you're in the Madison area. If you can make it should be a nice drive up and from my experience be right around 2 hours and 45 minutes to get from Madison to Sturgeon Bay.;)

What tune are you going with?

It sounds like a great weekend, but I'm not going to be able to make it :(. Extended family coming in from North Carolina and Columbia, son has a bike race in Iola, etc and I can't get away for enough time to make it up there and back.

Someday Eric, I promise!

Have fun everyone and stay safe!
I was really hoping you were going to make it so there was another AWD TDI on the cruise.:D
What better place to take the extended family than Door County on a nice cruise throughout the county.:p

Is your son racing the WORS series?

Hopefully next year you can make the trip.:cool:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I tried to convince them of that but for some reason they didn't seem as excited about it as I am :rolleyes:. Maybe I talked too much about the TDI's and the shop instead of leaves or knick-knacks or whatever pumpkin spice stuff is all the rage these days :).

He's not in he WORS series, just the local school mountain bike club, but I think the WORS events are typically held at the same time/locations maybe. Honestly there's so many people/bikes at these events (I didn't even know this kind of thing existed until a couple months ago!), it could be about anything and I don't know if I'd know the difference. I've heard many people talking about the WORS series and there's WORS flags and shirts all around, etc.

BorisBug99

TDI
99 beetle
I'm having my work done at Courtesy Auto service (they were on your list of trusted mechanics)
I'm having the Kerma tune with 1019 nozzels.
The nozzels are late getting shipped so now I'm just waiting for those. hopefully soon as i need tires too before i drive it too far. this car sat in a (nice) barn most of its life.
cant wait to get it back.
for the tune I had to switch my ECU with a "hot swap" unit as it needed to be soldered to except chips.
i hope I can get the car back in time, the cruise sounds like fun.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried to convince them of that but for some reason they didn't seem as excited about it as I am :rolleyes:. Maybe I talked too much about the TDI's and the shop instead of leaves or knick-knacks or whatever pumpkin spice stuff is all the rage these days :).
He's not in he WORS series, just the local school mountain bike club, but I think the WORS events are typically held at the same time/locations maybe. Honestly there's so many people/bikes at these events (I didn't even know this kind of thing existed until a couple months ago!), it could be about anything and I don't know if I'd know the difference. I've heard many people talking about the WORS series and there's WORS flags and shirts all around, etc.
They could have done the tourist thing up here, while you attend the cruise/gtg;) Unless they wanna do the cruise portion to see the sights and leaves changing, then could checkout the shops in downtown Sturgeon Bay while you're at the shop cooking out/wrenching/talking cars.:D

I used to race mountain bikes when I was in high school and college and the series to race in was the WORS series. They usually had 12 races a summer located all over Wisconsin. Yeah, it's a big deal in the cycling community. I know when I was racing, they had 1,200 people racing at one event:eek:

I'm having my work done at Courtesy Auto service (they were on your list of trusted mechanics)
I'm having the Kerma tune with 1019 nozzels.
The nozzels are late getting shipped so now I'm just waiting for those. hopefully soon as i need tires too before i drive it too far. this car sat in a (nice) barn most of its life.
cant wait to get it back.
for the tune I had to switch my ECU with a "hot swap" unit as it needed to be soldered to except chips.
i hope I can get the car back in time, the cruise sounds like fun.
Fingers crossed that you can make it and that your parts show up in time.:)

Just a reminder for those that are attending to bring something to the gtg to share with everyone.

Can I get a head count of the people attending, so I can place an order with our local meat shop on how many hamburgers to have ready on Saturday morning.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I'm definitely coming. Have the brats ready to be cooked before going on the grill. I don't know how much of a spirited drive I can do, this time. It appears that my clutch is starting to slip some. It's got about 90k on it, so I guess that's to be expected.

I hope BorisBug99 does show up. It'll be nice to see another Beetle up there and not be so lonely.

Last edited:

BorisBug99

TDI
99 beetle
unless those stupid injectors show up today or maybe tomorrow i don't see it happening... two weeks I've been waiting for them.
totally bummed too. I'll let you know if a Christmas miracle happens. good luck

BorisBug99

TDI
99 beetle
Well, the Grinch stole Christmas… Found out the injectors were shipped today and won’t be here until Monday. The guy doing the works not too happy about it either but what are you gonna do? Sorry I’m gonna miss this weekend. I guess I could bring my mint condition 1997 Mazda Miata with 31,000 original miles! But that would be weird.
Good luck guys save a spot for me next year.