www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 15th, 2017, 13:11   #1
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)
Default ALH Turbo Delete: Daily Driving a Naturally Aspirated 2001 Golf

"Don't worry, this is only temporary...

...unless it works." - Red Green.

I blew my turbo and I decided not to replace it right away. Instead, I wanted to try natural aspiration:

All of the hard work is already done, I have:

- Removed most of the intake pipes, broken turbo pieces, intake manifold and exhaust manifold.

- Removed the oil feed line to turbo and replaced the banjo bolt with a shortened regular M12x1.5 bolt and one copper washer to seal the outlet at the oil cooler:

- Removed the VNT vanes and their backing plate from inside of turbine housing to allow free exhaust flow:

- Remove turbine shaft and replace with a lower control arm bolt, nut and an aluminum crush washer

- Reinstalled the center cartridge into the turbine housing and made a block off plate for the oil return flange on the bottom of the turbo:

- Reinstalled the exhaust manifold with block of plate between it and the oil return line.

- Finally, I reinstalled the intake manifold and connected it directly to MAF housing using a piece of shop vacuum hose:

I'd guess I have about 30 hp available now and the check engine light is on for boost control. I have Bosio Sprint 520 injectors and a RC3 tune. Zero to sixty takes 30 to 40 seconds, but I can putter around town no problem. Also, once up to speed on the highway, it is easy to forget there is a problem. Some torque seems to be available between 1500 and 2000 rpm but above that there is little to no power.

I will have to get some larger intake tubing: right now I am using 1" inside diameter shop vac hose and I just realized that if I upgrade to something closer to the 2" diameter of the race pipe, the cross sectional area would be almost five times larger!

Will post updates.
Sprint 520's / RC3 / turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 13:20   #2
UhOh
Veteran Member

OK, Paul, the obvious question: Why?

Someone else on this forum did this.

This starts to verge on being unsafe:

All the work (lots of time to bother DO and UNDO) it would seem that that it would be cheaper to have just dropping another turbo (can get a blessed one pretty cheap).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 15:52   #3
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

I did it because it was easy and cost almost nothing.

Also, I heard that there was a tune for turbo delete and I am trying to get in contact with someone local who can load it for me.
Link: Stage 0 Tune Now Available (Natural Aspiration) - TDIClub Forums

edit: I don't want to spend any money on this car because it is long overdue for the scrap heap.
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast
Old July 15th, 2017, 16:37   #4
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

So what happened to your turbo? Didn't you install a new Mahle VNT15 a couple years ago?
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 17:13   #5
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Turbo , Turbo ? .......We don't need no stinkin' turbo....

I recently, bought a VW beetle with a defunct turbo vacuum actuator....No real power but doable if you're not in a big hurry....

FWIW - I am looking forward to fixing the power issue tho! ;-)

Andrew
Andyinchville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 17:35   #6
Golfrunner
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

Had given this a thought myself when my ole 2001 Golf kept going into the dreaded and emasculating "limp mode".. A new actuator eventually solved the problem and I sold the car a few months ago working fine. 365k miles on original turbo.
Report back with your mileage if you could. Always wondered if it would increase - though you are way outside of engine design/useage I figure and would probably find a decrease.
Diesel on...
Golfrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 19:06   #7
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

Very nice SDI. All you need is the proper intake and exhaust manifold and you'd probably do pretty good. I had a AAZ that I converted to NA with lots of upgrades, it was quick but it was also in a mk2.
burn_your_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 21:02   #8
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

an AZG exhaust mani would work nice on there, you could use the downpipe as well and a 1Z or BHW manifold would get you pointed in the right direction ... cool mod

Last edited by jimbote; July 15th, 2017 at 21:05.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 04:56   #9
Enabled
Veteran Member

With a proper tune that raises the fueling a little more for the NA areas it can be a bit quicker. It would even be able to do over 130 km/h.
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
-BMW 328d wagon (Self tuned ~230hp)
Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 05:24   #10
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

what did you do about the map/iat sensor ?
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:33   #11
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
he did say he has codes for boost control... likely its either unplugged or only reading atmosphere for pressure and IAT.. the intercooler is likey too buried to have been removed at this point. I know I wouldn't have removed it..

NARF, don't let the naysayers sway you. this is a fun thread and if you feel the car is relegated to let's just have fun status, good on you!

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:24   #12
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

Anybody that thinks this is unsafe due to lack of power has never experienced an A2 Jetta with all of 52 hp out of a NA 1.6 IDI. 😀

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Oo-v-oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:16   #13
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
Good question! Like Growler guessed the MAP is still in the intercooler which I didn't feel like removing just yet. It will read atmostpheric pressure since the intercooler is open with some rags stuffed in it. It also gives a temperature reading off the stagnant air inside of it. I guess it could be moved into the intake tract later if I was feeling ambitious. I wonder if that would make a difference?

Right now I really need to get a bigger intake hose; I will be heading to the hardware store today.

Also, I am not sure if it is in limp mode right now or this is just turbo-less operation. Do RocketChip tunes affect the behavior of limp mode? I emailed Jeff to let him know what I was doing and ask if he had a tune for this and he quickly replied saying compression would need to be increased, and work done to the head, to get any power out of it. He also said something about "undoing 20 years worth of evolution in diesels". I understand what he is getting at. I don't think Jeff has time for stuff that doesn't have more power than stock, so I won't waste his time with more emails.

Thanks to everyone for checking in, all opinions are appreciated.

Last edited by NarfBLAST; July 17th, 2017 at 10:19.
Old July 17th, 2017, 14:07   #14
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

It would be interesting to compare engine specs such as CR between the SDI and TDI.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Oo-v-oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 14:19   #15
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

NA diesels typically do run materially-higher compression. Detroit 2-stroke engines are definitely this way; most of them were available in both "natural" (not really; there is still a blower!) and turbocharged versions.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote