VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't think it was ever the intent (not the words - the INTENT) that VW would have to pay one red cent twice for the same vehicle.

Anything with a salvage or equivalent title, could potentially be subject to a claim by whoever owned the vehicle as of September 2015.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
I have 5 of rebuilt titles as well-I am a dealer and I have been rebuilding tdi's long before the settlement.
The buy back approvals have been going smoothly until April-not one offer since even though the documents are approved and in one case have been green-approved since Feb 26th.BTW-had last buyback finished 2 days ago may 11th-no issues there and the car had rebuilt title-was "totaled" in Jan 2017.
I talked to 2 settlement lawyers and several times called the 844 # and I was told since there are multiple claims they need to decide who gets what,but nobody will tell you time frame.
In settlement it says:
If you owned an Eligible Vehicle that was functioning and operable as of September 18, 2015, but was
subsequently totaled (and the title was transferred to an insurance company), you will be eligible for
benefits under the Class Action Settlement as described in this notice at Question 19. There is one exception: if your car is totaled after June 28, 2016, but before the opt-out date (September 16, 2016), you
are excluded from the settlement class and reserve your rights and claims against the Volkswagen entities.

I think VW had no clue and we turned several rebuilt tiles in with no issue,until one of the previous owners pushed the issue and asked for money and now VW doesn't know what to do.
As you know these cars bring lots of money even wrecked,because of the buyback.
If you register the car with VW for buyback you will get :
Please print this page for your records. In the event that your vehicle is totaled between now and your closing appointment, you may want to reference this offer in negotiations with your insurance company."
So why would previous owner get paid twice.I watched the pay off amounts of some cars we bought and most of them got paid by insurance company about the same as VW would pay them as buyback,so if VW wants to give them any money from "our" buyback amount even if it's half of the compensation money-like the seller would get if he sold it after sept 2015,but before jun 2016,then they got paid more then anyone else and I would loose money,because after what I pay for these car wrecked and cost of fixing them-if you remove half of compensation-I would loose money.
I think both the lawyers and VW didn't think about this very well.

The EPA clean air act covers even salvage vehicle for emission warranty,so just because vehicle got transferred to insurance company doesn't remove it from commerce.
You can hit a deer and repair cost gets close to 50% of the value of the car and insurance company will buy it from owner-therefore it's totaled,because insurance had to pay the total amount.I guess some people don't understand the "totaled vehicle" term-they hear totaled and they think car got rolled into a ball-not true.
The clause about cars on branded title as of sept 2015 and sold by salvage or junk yard was put there,because they didn't want people go dumpster diving-taking cars that were already being dismantled and bringing them back on the road just for the payout.This is not the case-all these cars we bought have been on the road the whole time and they just got damaged recently and woud have been fixed and issued regular rebuilt titles even if there was no buyback.
Almost all states allow cars be put back on the road after fixing them and inspection,so manufacturers void the basic warranty,but are still responsible for recalls and emission warranty,because of the clean air act.
Bottom line-I own a tdi,that VW has cheated on emission ,so they need to either fix it or buy it back and pay me compensation as stated in settlement or exclude me from settlement and there are plenty of lawyers,who will sue on my behalf and will win.
This is the point I tried to bring up several times, about multiple claims on a single car, from the person who originally owned it before it being totaled, and then from whomever fixed it up and then wants the buyback. Your point about the original owner getting paid more is not right though. The insurance payout is based on KBB or NADA values, which are way lower than the buyback values on these cars, at least they were when I went through it. I'm still trying to get the restitution money for my totaled car, I hope one of you guys didn't fix it and is screwing that up. Even if I get the restitution money, that plus my insurance payout is still less than the buyback would have been.

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
Absolutely not true.. it depends on your state. My buddy that I buy through is a NJ dealer and he flips the title at DMV in minutes and costs same $10 as a dealer reassignment. I flipped all buyback titles into company name to avoid having to explain reassignments and potential missing info as dealers often don't fill out back of titles 100%
OK, under normal circumstances, dealers don't get titles in their name. In many states, it's impossible to get salvage title re-issued in another name anyway, so we're stuck with the original out of state title in the insurance company's name until getting a rebuilt title.

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
This is the point I tried to bring up several times, about multiple claims on a single car, from the person who originally owned it before it being totaled, and then from whomever fixed it up and then wants the buyback. Your point about the original owner getting paid more is not right though. The insurance payout is based on KBB or NADA values, which are way lower than the buyback values on these cars, at least they were when I went through it. I'm still trying to get the restitution money for my totaled car, I hope one of you guys didn't fix it and is screwing that up. Even if I get the restitution money, that plus my insurance payout is still less than the buyback would have been.
VWmark,insurance payout should be based on value of the vehicle,so when you registered your VW in portal it says:
"Please print this page for your records. In the event that your vehicle is totaled between now and your closing appointment, you may want to reference this offer in negotiations with your insurance company."
I have seen payout of some of the cars and they were really close to total buyback amount.So if someone gets paid all that money from ins company,then why would he get any more money from VW?
How about the next owner,that paid all the money for the car,then to fix the car and now is sitting on vehicle,which emissions are still not fixed?
Plus you have a choice either not to sell it to insurance company or buy it back from them,then fix it and turn it in for full buy back-it is in the settlement.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
VWmark,insurance payout should be based on value of the vehicle,so when you registered your VW in portal it says:
"Please print this page for your records. In the event that your vehicle is totaled between now and your closing appointment, you may want to reference this offer in negotiations with your insurance company."
I have seen payout of some of the cars and they were really close to total buyback amount.So if someone gets paid all that money from ins company,then why would he get any more money from VW?
How about the next owner,that paid all the money for the car,then to fix the car and now is sitting on vehicle,which emissions are still not fixed?
Plus you have a choice either not to sell it to insurance company or buy it back from them,then fix it and turn it in for full buy back-it is in the settlement.
I have no idea what's 'typical', I can only go by what happened to me. The value of the vehicle to the insurance company is based on the KBB or NADA, which are not what you would get for buyback. I had not started any buyback negotiation yet, so had no paperwork from VW on the worth of the car. As I said, my insurance payout + restitution will still be less than what the buyback would have been, so yes, I think I am entitled to that restitution money. The insurance payout should be about the buyback amount minus the restitution money, because according the the settlement, former owners of the totaled cars are eligible for the restitution money.

You are right, I could have not sold it to the insurance company, payed at least a couple of grand to get it drive-able and then do the buyback. Then I would have gotten even less money and had a bugger hassle. Or I could have taken the insurance payout to keep the car, paid even more money to get it fixed and reinspected and then apply for a salvage title, and then try to do the buyback and be stuck in the same situation as others here. Again, probably a loosing proposition. I did look into those 2 options, and it was financially a loosing proposition.

The people who are buying these totaled cars should know that they will possibly not get the full buyback amount because if the former owner filed for the restitution money they won't get that part. That's the risk they take trying to play the system and profit from VWs screw up.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
When my 2013 JSW was totaled in October, the insurance payment was going to be about $8k less than the buyback amount. As to "why would he get any more money from VW", why not? He's entitled to that additional amount under the settlement.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'm speculating here that if you purchased a branded vehicle from an insurance company or auction or wherever, that has already had the Restitution claimed, you are out of luck. At best, assuming your car has less than 80k miles and has been in service less than 8 years, you may be eligible for the emissions fix at no cost (assuming it ever comes out for Gen1's), but that's it. The EPA letter miltak posted, states that VW would still be on the hook for emissions compliance, regardless of the branded title. The extended warranty may not even apply in that case. If the car has over 80k miles or is over 8 years old, you simply own a branded TDI.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Curious why people frown on the activity of buying any eligible VW buyback, salvage title or clean. Does anyone here feel that there is a difference between a diesel gate buyer that buys clean title cars and salvage title cars, if so, what is the difference in your opinion?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
And owner caught in the scandal could be considered a victim. Someone who knowingly buys cars with knowledge of the problem is not a victim, and the attempted profiteering makes them a parasite instead . . .

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
thread drift...

And owner caught in the scandal could be considered a victim. Someone who knowingly buys cars with knowledge of the problem is not a victim, and the attempted profiteering makes them a parasite instead . . .
Even if they're not branded/salvage cars?
Buying low, selling high?

Do you invest in any stocks or mutual funds?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
I'm speculating here that if you purchased a branded vehicle from an insurance company or auction or wherever, that has already had the Restitution claimed, you are out of luck..........
Reading over this I had a thought,
My brother purchased a 2015 Passat a couple months ago, and when he went to register it, the claims website would not offer a buyback option.
After some research, he found out that the previous owner had already registered it for the emissions modification option and completed step 1 of the fix, so the buyback option was no longer available for that car.

With that in mind, here's what I'm thinking,
Since the claims website was updated to know that his VIN was already processed for the fix, I'm thinking that if VW would already have paid an eligible owner their restitution amount for a totaled vehicle, the website would not offer a buyback option for a new owner, unless the new owner is eligible for the buyback.

So I have a question for DanB36, or anyone else who received restitution on a totaled vehicle,
If you would register your totaled car's VIN now on the claims website (under a dummy account/new email address), does it still offer a buyback option for that VIN?

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
is there any occurrance where profiting is acceptable?

Do you believe it helps or hurts your argument when you call people parasites?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys, I think we've already covered this subject a few pages back......

I'm not here to change people's mind, and I'm fine with someone thinking I'm a parasite.

If we get really honest, we all know that the settlement was more than fair, and maybe some owners feel a little guilty about getting paid so much for their TDI.

Maybe someone should start a thread entitled, "Is It Wrong To Profit from Dieselgate...??" this thread was started to discuss the apparent change of attitude from VW regarding branded titled cars.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
So I have a question for DanB36, or anyone else who received restitution on a totaled vehicle,
If you would register your totaled car's VIN now on the claims website (under a dummy account/new email address), does it still offer a buyback option for that VIN?
I sold mine back to VW, so it shouldn't show as eligible at all any more.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
I have no insight as to why or how VW's policy has changed regarding branded titles.

It does however sound like the insurance companies have been doing quite well in recovering claim losses thru the salvage pools.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, you got that right!

Salvage title wrecked cars are selling for more than clean title cars in perfect shape did last year.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
is there any occurrance where profiting is acceptable?

Do you believe it helps or hurts your argument when you call people parasites?
Note that 'profiting' and 'profiteering' are not even close to the same thing. And sorry if you can't deal with me calling things as I see them . . . . and in direct response to a question.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Note that 'profiting' and 'profiteering' are not even close to the same thing. And sorry if you can't deal with me calling things as I see them . . . . and in direct response to a question.
Words do have meaning...

Profiteering:

make or seek to make an excessive or unfair profit, especially illegally or in a black market.

Profit:

obtain a financial advantage or benefit, especially from an investment.

Care to answer my original question?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
+1
Karma's got a way of getting even...
I said what I thought on the first page, and I was sure from reading the docs and the INTENT of the settlement that what is happening now WOULD HAPPEN, and get the court to support them.
This situation is just like the excessive stripping of a few cars...the fast, early movers got some $$...but it was stopped.
Sorry...I call a duck a duck when I see it.
Flame suit on... Heck, in. almost every situation you just follow the $$. But the agreement also has shown the judge will let VW adjust the agreement to follow the INTENT of the agreement.
Knowing this...
I think the free and easy $$ is over for flippers.
Can't say I am sad. VW, while it did something very bad should not have to pay $$ to individuals that were not harmed by their actions, and THAT is the purpose of the settlement.

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
^^certainly consumer fairness was a part of the settlement, but it was much less a part than is commonly asserted. The bigger part was VW's violation of our clean air authority as overseen by federal agencies. From that standpoint, the government has an interest in getting vehicles off the road.

That said, I agree and have argued earlier that zombie cars and some of these other forms of profiteering are not right. But, OP is right, also: we should probably take this debate to its own thread.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Words do have meaning...

Profiteering:

make or seek to make an excessive or unfair profit, especially illegally or in a black market.

Profit:

obtain a financial advantage or benefit, especially from an investment.

Care to answer my original question?
Which question? Making profit? Certainly, in legitimate busuness. Taking advantage of a settlement to (supposedly) defrauded owners I see as unethical ("profiteering"), so no there. On your whine about choice of words, that's your problem, not mine . . .

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Just an update.
We have received offer yesterday on one of them,so maybe things will start moving.This one was there with approved paperwork since early March.I had it notarized and will schedule appointment today.

As of the jealous people posting here-There is nothing to be jealous of-these cars wrecked bring so much money,that after fixing them you are within $2-3k max of full buyback,which is about the same as I was making rebuilding them long before the emission scandal.And trust me it's a lot of work-go ahead and try it.I have been rebuilding wrecked cars for 22 years and with VW delay it's not even worth it right now.

Last edited:

ujames

TDI
YES
Just an update.
We have received offer yesterday on one of them,so maybe things will start moving.This one was there with approved paperwork since early March.I had it notarized and will schedule appointment today.
That's great news! Any indication that this claim with recent offer had a prior payout to previous owner?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to hear!

I think your comment about the "delay not making it worth it right now", is exactly what VW is aiming for by causing the process to take several months.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Just an update.

As of the jealous people posting here-There is nothing to be jealous of-these cars wrecked bring so much money,that after fixing them you are within $2-3k max of full buyback,which is about the same as I was making rebuilding them long before the emission scandal.And trust me it's a lot of work-go ahead and try it.I have been rebuilding wrecked cars for 22 years and with VW delay it's not even worth it right now.

I wonder if this went before Judge Breyer in closed chambers and he told VW to pound sand.

As for jealous, that's a dumb meme. I honestly don't know why this would be thought and repeated. Do you guys honestly think that behind disapproval of this activity there has to lie jealousy? That seems bonkers to me, but, whatever.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I wonder if this went before Judge Breyer in closed chambers and he told VW to pound sand.
I doubt it. If anything VW is just doing some additional housekeeping, getting rid of duplicate claims and performing due diligence on verifying branded titled cars are eligible. The only unanswered question IMO is whether a branded titled car where a previous owner has filed a claim for the restitution is still eligible for buyback?

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
No - VW is absolutely aware of people turning TDIs for profit, and they don't care one bit. I would wager that they probably prefer it, as it has been very effective in getting the cars off the road.

The buyback money has already been set aside, the loss is already recorded on their books, etc. At this point, all they care about is hitting them 85% mark to avoid further penalties.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
At this point, all they care about is hitting them 85% mark to avoid further penalties.
Probably very true, but does paying restitution on a totaled car constitute removal from the road? Do they get credit for that, or perhaps from their perspective if they execute a buyback on the same car, can they count it twice? Hmmm....