www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old May 10th, 2017, 05:30   #16
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
BTW I have zero sympathy for anyone trying to gouge the system and gets hung out to dry,
It's a good thing your sympathy doesn't matter here.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:57   #17
duratitus
Veteran Member

Quote:
BTW I have zero sympathy for anyone trying to gouge the system and gets hung out to dry, and IMO this is gouging the system, regardless of what legalese of the court settlement.
I don't blame you, and I am not asking for sympathy from anyone.

I have zero sympathy for VW for their efforts to gouge the system, and I think it quite a work of art on their part to try to back out of the settlement they agreed to.
They agreed to it before the Judge even signed it...!!!

The settlement payout dollar amount was based on the number of vehicles they produced with the cheat software, so they knew they had this coming, regardless of who owns the vehicles, and agreed to it.

Whether they pay the money for 100 cars to 1 owner, or to 100 different owners should not be a factor, and was not a factor based on the fact that non VW dealerships were included in the settlements.

Let's say 100 different VW owners opted to sell their cars to me for a lesser amount so they could get the money right away instead of waiting for the settlement, and let's say I agreed to hold the cars with my money tied up for months on end, taking the risk of of the judge changing the agreement, or VW purposely delaying the process, or declaring bankruptcy..........

..............This may be gouging the system, or it might be capitalism, where one person of their free will sells their interest in their goods, and another of their free will purchases their capital accepting the risk.

The system was designed to be gouged........because it was based on the number of cars, not the number of owners.

Last edited by duratitus; May 10th, 2017 at 06:22.
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:22   #18
arcaidy

TDI(s): 2015 GSW

Recently seen someone trying to unload a bunch of salvage TDI's on craigslist. Wonder if they ran in to the same thing?
arcaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:50   #19
VWMark
Veteran Member

My feeling is you are gouging the system, at least with the salvage title cars. The intent of this whole thing was to either fix the cars or get them off the road. A totaled car was already off the road, so buying it, fixing it and then selling it back to VW does not get another car off the road.

You are of course correct that according to the settlement documents you are entitled to get full buy back money. I can also understand VW trying to put a stop to it. The 2 cars with clean titles should of course have no issues. Also the fact that you have notarized buyback agreements should make all of this a non-issue and you should get the money. My guess is VW is stalling and trying to weed out people who are not willing to put up with the extra hassle. I think if you stick with it you will get the money. At the least, this may deter other people from trying similar stuff.

One other thought: The cars that don't have clean titles may have restitution payments in process for the previous owners, you may be screwing them over.
VWMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:59   #20
duratitus
Veteran Member

You are somewhat correct.

The agreement was to get the cars off the road that were on the road as of 9/18/2015.

Just a simple inspection, and the salvage title cars would be back on the road. That is why the buyback only applies to cars that run and drive. It's not hard to put a running car back into service.

The settlement applies based on 2 things.......past clean title status as of 9/18/2015, and current driveability, so it will never go back on the road.
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:47   #21
surfstar
Veteran Member

Quote:
BTW I have zero sympathy for anyone trying to gouge the system and gets hung out to dry, and IMO this is gouging the system, regardless of what legalese of the court settlement.
It may be zero sympathy, but I think its also 100 on the jealousy scale.

I know I wish I read the settlement docs when they first came out - could have made a nice side business out of finding market inefficiencies.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:04   #22
fredthe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWMark View Post
...The intent of this whole thing was to either fix the cars or get them off the road. A totaled car was already off the road, so buying it, fixing it and
just driving it DOES NOT GET THE CAR OFF THE ROAD. If a car is fixable, then the car is still potentially on the road. Some people like the VW diesels. If VW wants them off the road, then they should be expected to pay to get them off the road. It's their fault for not offering a $$ for totaled cars, just to guarantee someone wouldn't fix them and drive them. They didn't so they are now on the hook to get that repaired car back off the road.

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:17   #23
VWMark
Veteran Member

The problem is people are now digging up totaled cars to fix and sell them back. If there was no buyback, most of the cars would not be brought back on the road.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:23   #24
duratitus
Veteran Member

^^^ Incorrect.

The real problem is that VW cheated when they made the cars to start with.

Just because someone wrecked the car after they purchased it from VW does not mean VW should get off scott-free for lying about the emissions when they sold it.

But to get back on topic, I'm still waiting to hear from others who are experiencing issues with non clean title cars. - The class counsel attorney has said there are over 500 of these in limbo with VW right now.......
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:57   #25
VWMark
Veteran Member

VW is not getting off scott-free, they are still paying the restitution money on the totaled cars.

My guess is that's the hold up. People are filing restitution claims on totaled cars, then someone buys that totaled car, fixes it, and then puts in a buyback claim. That leaves VW paying double, I'm sure not something they want to do.
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:03   #26
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWMark View Post
VW is not getting off scott-free, they are still paying the restitution money on the totaled cars.

My guess is that's the hold up. People are filing restitution claims on totaled cars, then someone buys that totaled car, fixes it, and then puts in a buyback claim. That leaves VW paying double, I'm sure not something they want to do.
Wouldn't the previous owner and the current owner split the restitution?

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:07   #27
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

It may take some time to sort that out. The person who "deserves" the payment is the person who owned the car as of 15 Sep 2015. I have little sympathy for people attempting to profit from VW's troubles.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:39   #28
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Wouldn't the previous owner and the current owner split the restitution?
There's no provision in the 2-liter settlement about anyone splitting restitution with anyone else.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:02   #29
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
There's no provision in the 2-liter settlement about anyone splitting restitution with anyone else.
Thanks for the clarification.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:26   #30
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
I knew that didn't sound right:
"Because a car may have more than one owner during the relevant period, for those cars that changed hands after September 18, 2015 and during the claims period, the settlement equitably divides the Owner Restitution payment approximately 50/50 between the owner as of September 18, 2015 who later sold the car (“Eligible Seller”) and the current owner (“Eligible Owner”). To qualify for an Eligible Seller restitution payment, you must identify yourself with 45 days of the entry of the Preliminary Approval Order. If preliminary approval is granted by the Court on July 26, 2016 (the date of the preliminary approval hearing), you will have until September 16, 2016 to identify yourself. Note that if you sell your car after June 28, 2016, you will not be an Eligible Seller (or an Eligible Owner)."