www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old May 9th, 2017, 09:17   #1
duratitus
Veteran Member

Default VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

Here's the story,

I had a buyback appointment scheduled for 5/3/17 @ 9:00am.

At 9:05 am I was almost at the dealership with my car when I received a call from the VW appointment scheduling department saying that they had cancelled my appointment, and were
going to send me formal communication stating the reason.

Yesterday I received this letter,

The letter addresses 5 claims that were complete other than the closing appointment at the dealer.
I already received final offer letters for each of these cars, which state that "Based on the information you have provided, you are eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program", and had already scheduled closing appointments for each one.

2 of the cars have clean titles with no salvage history,
2 of the cars have rebuilt titles,
1 car has a salvage title.

I have state issued registrations in my name for each car, and they all had clean titles up to 7/13/2016.

All of the cars are driveable without any issues.

Anyone else having similar problems from VW on rebuilt or otherwise non-clean title TDI's?
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:44   #2
surfstar
Veteran Member

"together with claims that have been submitted by other consumers on the same vehicles" might be the sticking point, and not the actual title issues.

That would be the only reason to cause an issue with your two clean titled vehicles and we had the other thread where lowered restitution amounts were noted if a second claim on the same VIN was simply started in the system.

My best guess.

You'll be made whole, eventually, but I imagine some annoying amount of phone calls coming up - bummer.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:57   #3
duratitus
Veteran Member

Hopefully.

I've never heard of them cancelling a claim for review after they already approved all the documentation, and had the closing scheduled. - Unless they find a problem with the actual car at the appointment - i.e. missing parts, or it don't run, etc.
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:59   #4
FVWVWF
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratitus View Post
Hopefully.

I've never heard of them cancelling a claim for review after they already approved all the documentation, and had the closing scheduled. - Unless they find a problem with the actual car at the appointment - i.e. missing parts, or it don't run, etc.
He hasnt gotten to the dealership yet so cant be that.
Possible that another party has submitted a claim with same VIN? (previous owner?)
FVWVWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:11   #5
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

How many cars have you turned around, man?
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:22   #6
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hopefully.

I think, as was pointed out in another post, if there are two VINs in their system with different names, etc., then that is going to be a problem. If you're selling back this many cars, you're obviously in this for the money, so be prepared to hunker down and do some more paperwork and spend time listening to elevator music on the phone. In the final issue, I don't think you've got much choice except to do as they ask. Good luck!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:22   #7
duratitus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWVWF View Post
He hasnt gotten to the dealership yet so cant be that.
Possible that another party has submitted a claim with same VIN? (previous owner?)
Yes I was at the dealership. - My appointment got cancelled 5 minutes after I was there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
In the final issue, I don't think you've got much choice except to do as they ask. Good luck!
You're probably right, however someone would have to inform me how to upload a clean title......... for a vehicle that already has a rebuilt title?

That'd take a miracle, which I'm all for if you know how to perform miracles......
Save

Last edited by duratitus; May 9th, 2017 at 10:28.
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:29   #8
FVWVWF
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes I was at the dealership. - My appointment got cancelled 5 minutes after I was there.
Quote:
At 9:05 am I was almost at the dealership ...
I'll slowly back out of this thread.
FVWVWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:55   #9
duratitus
Veteran Member

^^^ My point being that the appointment was scheduled. I did make it to the dealer. the phone call lasted for a good 30 minutes.
Old May 9th, 2017, 13:04   #10
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

I think you are kinda stuck...you bought cars without clean titles... everything I read always said what they did was what was going to happen.
Too bad you didn't "clean" the title like happens with many collector cars....
A car is transfered to a state that does not "brand" a title, then transfered back...makes the paperwork look good, but in this day of electronic "paper trails"it doesn't hide anything by more, but does get a "clean title.
Think RI was a state that was still possible the do this...
But now VW knows....
ZippyNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 13:21   #11
duratitus
Veteran Member

^^^ Maybe you never actually read the court approved Notice.....

I may be stuck, but rebuilt and salvage title cars are included in the claims.....

(See question #9 and #11 of the Approved Exhibit 3 - Long Form Notice)

They have bought other salvage/rebuilt cars in the past.

BTW: I started this post to see if there are others who are having similar responses from VW.

Last edited by duratitus; May 9th, 2017 at 13:24.
Old May 9th, 2017, 13:30   #12
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
everything I read always said what they did was what was going to happen.
Pity you (apparently) didn't read any of the controlling documents before posting this ignorant comment.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 14:14   #13
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Since this letter is addressed to you with multiple VIN's associated, VW knows you are in the business of buying qualifying vehicles. To me it looks like they are trying to change their rules to avoid payout.

No where in the settlement is their stipulations that titles be "Clean". Time to reach out to the lawyers that are there for affected consumers.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 17:36   #14
chief poncho
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

Question for Mr Dan. Since he has a notarized offer letter accepted by VW claims, doesn't that constitute a binding contract to buy the cars back? This may be a simple clerical error on VW's part, but this seems like a hassle regardless.
chief poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:18   #15
740GLE
Veteran Member

Just like the judge siding with VW about "stripped cars" not meeting the "intent" of the buy back, it appears they are scrutinizing more recent claims, and may win on this one. Only thing on the OP side is the formal offer letter, and them claiming it was a clerical error on their part. Bank error in your favor collect $15?

Also think about the number of claims being submitted now vs 3 months ago, it's gotta be a snails pace coming in now compared to then. This should allow them to dig into digital trails.

BTW I have zero sympathy for anyone trying to gouge the system and gets hung out to dry, and IMO this is gouging the system, regardless of what legalese of the court settlement.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote