Meet Schmutz! The "Dirty" diesel, Growler's 2015 GSW S TDI DSG

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I never thought this day would come. I will soon be less one ALH.
However,. I just could not pass up the deals they were doing on the "new" 2015 TDIs after the first round of Dieselgate fixes.
Meet Schmutz (German for Dirt, the "Dirty" Diesel Wagon), my new 2015 Golf S Sportwagen.
Midnight Blue Metallic, Black interior.
DSG (beggars cannot be choosers, they were going fast)
No sunroof to leak
No heated seats
no expensive 17" wheels/Tires
my kind of VW.
Looking forward to learning all about the new systems to keep up on.
a photo.

more to come~
Aaron

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
First tank is done.
409 miles.
Refilled with 9.175 gallons of B20 (pump says it's anywhere from B5 to B20, no selector here)

44.6mpg, 1611 miles on car.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Awesome! I just got a 2015 TDI Golf SportWagen yesterday! Mine is also the "S" model but I got the 6 speed manual.

No sunroof to leak (Aint that the truth!) But the wife really wanted the heated seats, oh well, like you stated, they were going fast and this was actually the last TDI that the dealership had on the lot!

Did you find the jack? LoL, took the general sales mgr of the dealership to show me and my salesman where it was located!

I am also going to put a full size spare in place of the donut that the car came with. (I kept my full size spare from a previous TDI I turned in for the buyback!)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Yep, found the jack and i also have a steel I can swap a tire ont for a.full size spare.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
But what will it be named???

Looking for License plate ideas last night.. He told me his name.

He will forever be known as Schmutz

I thought the Friends of Coal and Coal keeps the Lights on were appropriate, since I also work for the Power company... lol

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Well, it doesn't quite roll off the tongue like Schnurren, Knurren, Matrix, or Growler, but it does have character!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Was the sticker on yours $27,055? That's what a couple S DSG wagons are here,test drove one. Did your dealer mark up the price,or let you have it for sticker minus the rebate? One I looked at would be $5500 off($5k rebate and $500 returning customer)-that would almost take care of difference between my '16 Jetta trade value and payoff:mad:.....not sure If I want a 50% increase in payment,though. The dealer did have a Night Blue S wagon,it was the last manual they had,but it had been sold-that was $24,955 I think.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
My sticker was just under 27k, it had monster mats, rear cargo organizer with load blocks, and emergency kit as dealer options.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
OK-the ones I looked at had those options,along w/ installed mudflaps,which put it just over $27k. I think I may go for it-I'll head up after work in morning and see how things may shake out.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
This shows my ignorance of anything newer than mk4...

How am I supposed to put fuel additive (powerservice silver fwiw) if I cannot stick a funnel into the fill hole... the misfuel thing won't allow me to insert my funnel.. how do I get around this "feature"...?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Tweaks and mods
Since purchase I have done the following MODS with VCDS
  • Windows Up/Down with Keyfob
  • All doors unlock with one press of unlock button
  • Set AC system to Hot country mode to improve AC system performance. (instructions below)

There has been plenty of discussion about inconsistent AC systems over at vwvortex. If you have a VCDS you can check to see if you have "Hot Country" enabled. It seems like there are some cars sold that had it enabled and others that didnt. Reading through the thread below, people have reported getting cold air much faster after making the VCDS tweak.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7974521-2015-GTI-VCDS-AC-quot-Hot-Country-quot

Instructions from the link above:

1) Open VCDS
    2) Go To Select Modules
    3) Under the "Installed Modules" window - select number 08 - Auto HVAC
    4) After the control loads - select Coding - 07
    5) Click the button for "Long Coding Helper"
    6) Press Tab or arrow down key until you see "Byte 12" selected
    7)Under the drop-down for "Bit 4-7" select "10 Temperature Adjustment: Cold (Hot Countires)"
    8) In the top-left corner of the window - select the "Exit" menu item
    9) Press the "Do It" button to save the new setting
    10) If all goes well - you should see a popup "Coding Accepted"

I haven't done this myself or checked what my setting is since I am happy with how my AC performs. Might check just to see what my settings are just for kicks.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
With "hot country" coding, is there any evidence that it shortens the life of the compressor or other parts? I'm just trying to imagine how exactly this coding works. I guess I could always switch it back.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I imagine its like a stage 1 chiptune. yes its working harder than it was, and it is giving you a reward (faster cooling of the cavernous interior) for its extra effort but its not working so hard as to be much of a worry. I know from my experience from the ALH, that running a vnt-15 at 21psi isnt a good thing to do, but it will run all day long at 17. this is kinda like that for me in my thinking.

Especially since this is a factory installed option, just not turned on for my region, I will lose exactly zero sleep over this mod. my MFA mileage was unchanged this morning from any previous experiences so I am hopeful to not see any mileage hits, but even if I do, i'd rather be comfortable.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
This shows my ignorance of anything newer than mk4...

How am I supposed to put fuel additive (powerservice silver fwiw) if I cannot stick a funnel into the fill hole... the misfuel thing won't allow me to insert my funnel.. how do I get around this "feature"...?
A bottle of Startron diesel additive works as they have a nice long neck. Buy one bottle and then refill with additive of your choice once empty.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-diesel-additive

I like the 32 oz. bottle as it lasts for months.

Kind of shocked you went for a new ride but then one may want a change after many years/miles with an A4. Biggest adjustment for me going from A4 to NMS Passat was how quiet the NMS is! Know you'll do fine with Schmutz! :cool:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
I imagine its like a stage 1 chiptune. yes its working harder than it was, and it is giving you a reward (faster cooling of the cavernous interior) for its extra effort but its not working so hard as to be much of a worry. I know from my experience from the ALH, that running a vnt-15 at 21psi isnt a good thing to do, but it will run all day long at 17. this is kinda like that for me in my thinking.
Especially since this is a factory installed option, just not turned on for my region, I will lose exactly zero sleep over this mod. my MFA mileage was unchanged this morning from any previous experiences so I am hopeful to not see any mileage hits, but even if I do, i'd rather be comfortable.
thanks. in regards to your last assertion, I say amen.:D

the past 4 days, between all the cars we own, only my wife's has working AC. The cars she lets me drive should be registered as torture devices on days like the past few we've had.

I would trade in half my fuel economy for some cold air right now. lol.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
My 2016 RR came with an adapter that allow "gas size" nozzles on diesel pumps to be used. You can stop by my place and borrow it for a few seconds to add additive. You might also consider getting one of these adapters. I had to use it in Jacksonville, NC.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
SCHMTZ got his first 10k miles oil change done at the Dealership today.

New oil Filter
Drain Plug
58 somethings of the G052195S0 5w30 Oil
a 2.5 Gallon Jug of DEF poured in
And a multi point safety inspection along with a tire rotation

felt weird leaving the car there. but so far so good.

I need to check the oil level when I get home.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Link to document I found on vortex for window up down on mk7

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Saturday 1/20/18., SCHMTZ the following was performed by myself

20,000 mile oil change (IDParts filter housing drain tool was a little awkward to use, should cut some of the hose off since my lift isnt super high)

new fuel filter, piece of cake unbolt 5 little bolts, lift lid off filter, soak up a little fuel off the top, drain, replace bolt lid back on.

cabin filter (have to empty glove box, then push up on catches to release the door to open fully, then carefully unsnap the filter cover)
it is NOT under the removeable panel under the dash, or accessible from the cowling.(ask me how I know UGH)

2.5 gallon jug of DEF, piece of cake with the IDParts fill tool. I hooked the tool to the car fill port, then to the fresh opened jug, and set the jug on my tall cart to drain into the car.. took just a few minutes to empty. except the last inch of fluid or so.. gotta get me a funnel to put that into the car with.

4 tire rotation

good to know Im good for another 4-5 months... lol.

Last edited:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
How's the young Schmutz doing?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz is just over 42k miles and I need to be doing the 40k service very soon.

other than that, its a great commuter that has become the go to car at lunchtime to haul the coworkers to lunch.

deserves a bath and a good washing before winter hits too hard. I haven't even seen one CEL yet. its been great.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Finished up the 40k Service on 11/17/18.

Oil, Filter, Fuel Filter, Cabin Filter, Air Filter, DSG Service.

car has been returning ~44mpg Tank MPG since new according to Fuelly.

although I think Ohio just switched over to winter fuel so my MPG is down a bit.

Going to be calling the dealership to schedule the Phase 2 recall soon.

I figure I'm due for my 50k service in February or so. we shall see.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Scheduled the car in to get the Phase 2 fix completed on 12/17/18.

Dealer says it should take 2 days and I will get either a Jetta or a Passat Loaner.

I am also having them replace the wiper blades. the original ones that have been on the car since new are pretty tired and the replacements are only $45 installed.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Things to do after I get the car back from Phase 2 next week...

was in a 15 with this mod, makes that flat spot disappear in the accelerator
[Direct Acceleration - Throttle response]
With this mod, you can change the behavior of the accelerator. Option B provides a more linear acceleration without sudden deliveries.
1 - Module 44 - Power steering. then in security box enter Code (19249) after that
2 - Adaptation
3 - Select - switching driving profile
Choices :
A - Gradual, controlled by time
B - Directly controlled threshold value

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I figure I'm due for my 50k service in February or so. we shall see.

I was close... Hit this on Saturday 3/2/19

guess I should order the 50k oil change kit and get that on the schedule for a week or two.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was happy when I took my car to Kraftwerke last month for oil cooler seals and an oil change.

Right on time!