www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old June 1st, 2017, 18:23   #31
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

If you have the tuner with both, stock and oem tunes, you can revert for the dealer and switch back when you get the car back.
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 06:21   #32
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
European and North America motors and ECUs have many differences. Tuning boxes/piggy back systems do not work as advertised or compare to ECU tunes either, we have tested them and if it was that simple we'd have something on the market. Anyone can draw a dyno graph, it's rare we see a product perform as advertised on the dyno and the only one that has for a piggy back system was burger tuning's 1.8T JB1 box. Very impressive work from that crowd as usual. They work by falsifying data outputs to your ECU, so your safety features and limiters will not work as intended from factory. Why risk dealing with a foreign company that's unfamiliar with your vehicle when you can drive into a shop that works on them regularly and have the flash done in person?
Just trying to understand tunes and what they do.

From the JB1- JB4 information that I've read, it does falsify few inputs to mainly increase boost (among other things), are you saying max boost pressure is a safety limiter?

Wouldn't then a full blown ECU tune that increases boost by 1-2PSI, bypass the same "safety limiter" as intended from the factory?

I don't believe JB1-4 modifies any EGT settings or other critical safety limiters, again I could be wrong, just trying to learn.

Sorry if this is a tangent and out of the line for the topic of tuning a 2015.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 09:34   #33
Owain@malonetuning

Burger tuning does not make a module for the VW diesels, I'll be testing the BMW diesel unit sometime for comparisons sake but know what to expect. What I've seen on the 1.8T, you can upload maps from a forum, have a base map, water meth and nitrous control, and can go through and increase the boost however you'd like by 500RPM increments. It's like making your own primitive map and you can plug it into a laptop. Honestly I think the system is genius and it's worlds ahead of other piggyback systems we've seen, you just need to account for the offsets with all of your data. Those newer siemens gas ECUs are very clever so you can get away with more on them, plus this thing had a lot of plugins. Burger tuning has proven themselves consistent over a decade with a variety of BMW offerings, a lot of these piggy back companies come out of the woodworks when there's a new platform and trick people with throttle mapping and things the ECU tunes out over time. Then dry up once a few forum posts expose them and change their name. Don't know how some of them sleep at night.

The safety limiters, such as over-boost conditions, are still kept intact. The difference is that if you make 22 PSI tuned, the ECU reads 22, and if you spike to say 28 it will throw the car into limp mode. If you're running stock boost of say 21 PSI, the module is hitting 24, then you could over-boost to 31 or so before throwing the same overboost code. Also keep in mind that we're not increasing boost much on this platform, almost all of the power comes from fuel mapping, the turbo is pretty far across it's efficiency range from factory. Some of these cheaper bits are just resistors that result in a linear offset, which is not what you want. This was a problem on the VE and PDs years ago, and where are those companies now when it comes to accountability?

Note: I have no affiliation with burger tuning, I'm just a fan of what I've seen so far and it is so rare to see a quality piggy back system. Tried one from Unichip/Eurocompulsion on an abarth awhile ago and was genuinely worried I was going to blow the car up.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 09:43   #34
740GLE
Veteran Member

Ahh that makes sense, knowing that the overboost protection will also be skewed.

As a 1.8t gen 3 owner I've heard great things, being cheap, and warranty friendly is big plus.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 11:27   #35
alvinM3

Doesn't the ECU show how many times it has been flashed? Or does the counter reset with a bench flash? Wouldn't the service dept. be able to tell that the ECU has been taken out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
If you have the tuner with both, stock and oem tunes, you can revert for the dealer and switch back when you get the car back.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
alvinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:10   #36
Owain@malonetuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Ahh that makes sense, knowing that the overboost protection will also be skewed.
As a 1.8t gen 3 owner I've heard great things, being cheap, and warranty friendly is big plus.
Just to give you an idea how this car performs on an accurate dyno. Really impressed with this motor, only 15HP or so down from a stage 2+ MK6 GTI (both ours and competitors). I had some tuned EA288 comparisons too, but some competitors might try to use that data against us. Meanwhile I couldn't get a full throttle run in 4th from 1600-redline without hitting the EGT limiter and bogging out on their file
Stock vs JB1
https://i.gyazo.com/f2722acccf4a4c1d...149efd027f.png
Stock vs tune
https://i.gyazo.com/22426723216c6e97...27ed62e9f6.png
JB1 vs tune
https://i.gyazo.com/5dda91996f900709...63bbb96316.png
Tuned vs stock EA288
https://i.gyazo.com/f9aeb0ede4e1170e...f22b48b851.png
Tuned vs stage 2 EA189 with stock exhaust and hollowed out DPF (only run to 3500, was testing an exhaust fan in the shop)
https://i.gyazo.com/f4276c63b06fe45d...08782f26c6.png

It took us a half dozen or so files to get the boost to build smoothly on the 1.8T, it's a very tiny turbo so the spool is aggressive and takes some time to get right in terms of control. You can see that the JB1 can't account for that as well based off the wiggle around peak torque. Car even does that stock though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinM3 View Post
Doesn't the ECU show how many times it has been flashed? Or does the counter reset with a bench flash? Wouldn't the service dept. be able to tell that the ECU has been taken out?
Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Yes, unless bench flashed with anti tamper screw removal, then reinstalling new screws and making sure it all looks proper, the dealership will be able to tell the car has been modified. If you're not buddy buddy with your service manager, it might be best to leave the car alone. We use the same tools as our competitors so they are not immune either.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; June 4th, 2017 at 12:42.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 21:14   #37
Scongiundi

I'm intrigued with the tuning options for my 2015. But I share the same concerns as others... brand new car with the Phase I "fix" with this amazing warranty and the possibility of warranty being voided if dealer realizes the tune.

I am interested to hear from folks who have gotten a tune on their "fixed" 2015s.

Scongiundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 16:50   #38
Huckleberrybeetle

TDI(s): 2015 GSW Tdi
Default 2015 gsw tdi

So my 2014 Passat tdi got blown away in a 2015 tornado and I just got my first 2015 tdi gsw post dieselgate. Doesn’t seem like the mileage I was getting in the passat.

Looking for an eco tune and not set on doing a dpf delete just yet unless I have some code issues with the system. Would the stage 2 Malone and dsg sound like a solid option for this car to increase eco?

In dallas, not many tuning options for diesels around here. Non regulated diesel emission state too.
Huckleberrybeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 08:51   #39
740GLE
Veteran Member

With any power tune, it'll be up to your right foot if you get any better MPG. Pulls are addictive.

I can say we've got just as good MPGs with a '15 stage 2, but can't say it's really noticeably better than stock phase 1 fix or our older '12 stock. It won't be until you cut that dpf off will you see some really noticeable mpg improvements.
Old January 19th, 2018, 09:07   #40
Sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberrybeetle View Post
So my 2014 Passat tdi got blown away in a 2015 tornado and I just got my first 2015 tdi gsw post dieselgate. Doesn’t seem like the mileage I was getting in the passat.
Looking for an eco tune and not set on doing a dpf delete just yet unless I have some code issues with the system. Would the stage 2 Malone and dsg sound like a solid option for this car to increase eco?
In dallas, not many tuning options for diesels around here. Non regulated diesel emission state too.
I have a 15 gsw/fix and went with Kerma back in July, had a very slight mpg improvement but not much. Recently though they have been working more and more on their tune and now I am getting at least 15% increase in mpg. I drive like an ******* and am getting 480 miles per tank, on their first release I was managing 400-415. First version was in the summer and now it is winter in chicago so I expect over 500 in the summer. Seems like they have been tweaking the post injection while cruising since they figured out how to get calculated DPF load to be more realistic with actual load. I now go over 450 miles between regens instead of 250 post fix.
I have two different tune files, I prefer their 1+ tune which is much more aggressive WOT so it cuts fuel earlier due to EGT but I like to have the short punchy burst instead of going full throttle from 0-100.
Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 10:46   #41
VWjunkie

TDI(s): 15 GSW SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Panda View Post
I have a 15 gsw/fix and went with Kerma back in July, had a very slight mpg improvement but not much. Recently though they have been working more and more on their tune and now I am getting at least 15% increase in mpg. I drive like an ******* and am getting 480 miles per tank, on their first release I was managing 400-415. First version was in the summer and now it is winter in chicago so I expect over 500 in the summer. Seems like they have been tweaking the post injection while cruising since they figured out how to get calculated DPF load to be more realistic with actual load. I now go over 450 miles between regens instead of 250 post fix.
I have two different tune files, I prefer their 1+ tune which is much more aggressive WOT so it cuts fuel earlier due to EGT but I like to have the short punchy burst instead of going full throttle from 0-100.

How recent did they update their tune? I would love a little more MPG. I did my tune in May.
VWjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:05   #42
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchill View Post
Many of the tuners do those cars. Rocketchip is one. I've had very good results with him...including 2015 cars.
I concur! Jeff is the best!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:05   #43
KERMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWjunkie View Post
How recent did they update their tune? I would love a little more MPG. I did my tune in May.
You've got mail
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:13   #44
VWjunkie

TDI(s): 15 GSW SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
You've got mail
Got it! Excellent customer service.
VWjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:35   #45
Sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
You've got mail
lol, that was awesome. It would be amazing if you guys had some sort of blog/news link on your site so we could tell when you have made changes to specific engine tunes so we don't need to email you all the time to see if there are any updates. Awesome though that you are so active on the forums that you spot a "wonder if kerma has a new file?" post and send them an update minutes later haha.
Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote