www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 7th, 2017, 11:13   #16
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 300hp

I would say to avoid revo as they are sh*t on tdi, not good, confirmed by so many.
On my car also not going very well.
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:32   #17
740GLE
Veteran Member

Add me to the list, are you doing a local group buy or flashzilla combo group buy?

While I know the DSG tune is needed. I was thinking of trying the tune without it. I know there maybe some shudder under WOT pulls in 5 and 6th, 98% of the driving isn't WOT and just looking for a slight boost in performance in more normal spirited driving.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:42   #18
Owain@malonetuning

DSG tuning isn't available for all EA288s yet, there's a new plug style that was brought in somewhere in 2015. Some can be tuned, others cannot. Waiting on alientech to develop on this platform, we'll let you know as soon as we do. Passats have been no problem, have done some golfs/jettas as well, so it's likely a VIN/build date swapover. We don't see the same kind of DSG limiting problems on this platform as with earlier models, they're there but not nearly as dramatic. We also rarely see shudder issues, we're not trying to break anyone's near new vehicle and understand that reliability and longevity are some of the main perks to a TDI in the first place. These tunes have been designed with reliability and drive-ability in mind, we're not pushing the vehicle as hard as we could just for the sake of advertising a higher dyno number.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; May 10th, 2017 at 08:35.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:01   #19
740GLE
Veteran Member

So a DSG isn't a must if you looking to use a little bit more pull and not wind it out every last tourq and HP?

Good to know, and glad to hear an honest need for the DSG, I was under assumption it was a must with a stage 1, which almost doubles the price.
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:57   #20
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
So a DSG isn't a must if you looking to use a little bit more pull and not wind it out every last tourq and HP?

Good to know, and glad to hear an honest need for the DSG, I was under assumption it was a must with a stage 1, which almost doubles the price.
The phase 1 fix also included an improvement to the DSG software in which *some* owners have claimed an improved driving experience. Owain, have you all tuned any '15s with the phase 1 fix with DSG?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, DC stage 3 w/ SMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:12   #21
Owain@malonetuning

A bunch. Have yet to get a car on the dyno with before/after results but a lot of people have complained about lower RPM shift points and less torque down low. Few tests in Europe have shown this but their software is likely different.

I've heard nothing but negative things from passat owners, and mixed opinions on the golf/jetta. Double digit sample sizes in either case, but of course that's opinion and I'd like to get something concrete on the dyno. Been playing around with the 335D a lot lately but will extensively revisit this platform soon.

Old May 16th, 2017, 16:20   #22
Kevinski4

I tuned a '15 DSG JSW with the phase 1 fix last week. Ran real nice. No perceivable DSG issues.

I am a Malone Tuning dealer in Eastern WI, including Common Rails and DSG, Sprinter, and BMW! Visit our website: www.facebook.com/wisconsindiesel

Forget Clean Air, It's a Power and Money Grab
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:18   #23
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post

I've heard nothing but negative things from passat owners
Care to elaborate?

Is that just people not enjoying the emissions fix, or not enjoying a tune after the emission fix?
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:16   #24
Owain@malonetuning

I mean I'm not going to come on here and bash my employers software Meant the emissions fix, passats seem to have been more heavily affected than other models, likely due to size/weight? Trying to get some locals in for before/after testing on the dyno but have been swamped with other developments, plus Vancouver doesn't have a ton of diesels since a lot of people don't drive long distances. We also keep a low profile locally so that we can get R&D work done, our shops not typically open to the public, same approach CTS took awhile ago. Land is just too expensive to justify servicing cars so we work closely with a few well established shops and dealers. Between the lot of us we always have at least one VW that needs work anyway, lol. At least the web developers and accountant are smart, they all drive Toyotas.

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; May 17th, 2017 at 10:27.
Old May 20th, 2017, 22:36   #25
740GLE
Veteran Member

I figured as such, ha

While I can't compare stock 2015 Passat to a phase one "fixed" 2015 Passat. I can compare it to our 2012, and don't really notice anything, maybe little less pull on highway passing. But still pulls great from a stop and the DSG shifting it pretty much perfect, also way less RPM at 70 than the 2012, maybe 300-400 rpm the way it should be.
Old May 31st, 2017, 20:30   #26
alvinM3

Anybody considering tuning boxes or anybody currently using one? I've been researching a bit, and they seem real popular in the U.K. with many positive reviews from different vendors (DTUK, RaceChip, BlueSpark, ChipWerke). They're supposed to be untraceable which is a plus for new 2015 owners with the extended warranty. Of course the tunes aren't as good as remaps, but something to tide people over until warranty expires?
alvinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 06:38   #27
740GLE
Veteran Member

I haven't seen to many listed over here, care to toss up a link or two?
Old June 1st, 2017, 07:55   #28
alvinM3

Here are a few I've been looking into: DTUK, Race Chip, https://www.chipwerke.com/, Blue Spark, TDI Tuning.
DTUK has an online chat and they respond to any questions - they seem to have the most advanced tech with their CDR-3+ box - they also have dynos available on their website for various vehicles.
I contacted RaceChip and they responded within 24 hrs - their parent German branch seems very promising with a 2 year engine, transmission, and drivetrain warranty but only for their residents. They said they're working to bring the warranty here, but don't know when that will be.
Chipwerke seems to be the easiest and cheapest as you are able to buy from them on Ebay.
Blue Spark is well spoken of from UK forums - still waiting to hear from them.
Tdi tuning also responded to my questions within 24 hrs. I think they are a cheaper alternative to DTUK.
Old June 1st, 2017, 15:15   #29
Owain@malonetuning

European and North America motors and ECUs have many differences. Tuning boxes/piggy back systems do not work as advertised or compare to ECU tunes either, we have tested them and if it was that simple we'd have something on the market. Anyone can draw a dyno graph, it's rare we see a product perform as advertised on the dyno and the only one that has for a piggy back system was burger tuning's 1.8T JB1 box. Very impressive work from that crowd as usual. They work by falsifying data outputs to your ECU, so your safety features and limiters will not work as intended from factory. Why risk dealing with a foreign company that's unfamiliar with your vehicle when you can drive into a shop that works on them regularly and have the flash done in person?

Old June 1st, 2017, 17:19   #30
alvinM3

Most intriguing part about tuning boxes are they are untraceable when removed. Are you saying there's a way to get an ECU tune without voiding warranty if done in person?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk