EA288 design question

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Does the EA288 engine have only a low pressure EGR circuit? The 'study manual' released by VW (thats referenced so often) seems to indicate that previous engine models had a high pressure circuit only, while the EA288 has only the low pressure circuit (page 50) that comes off post DPF.

However, online publications of the 288 seem to indicate that this engine has both low and high pressure EGR circuits in it.

So does the engine have both? Sorry if this has discussed before...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The high pressure EGR valve is on the front of the cylinder head just beside/behind the anti-shudder (throttle for a lack of better term) valve. The exhaust is fed back through the cylinder head near the coolant jacket to cool down before getting dumped into the inlet area of the cylinder head post-intercooler. From what I can tell, most of the exhaust gas would be ingested into cylinder #4. The cylinder head differs on the CRUA (EA288) quite a bit from the CJAA in that there is a galley so to speak where the intercooler attaches to the cylinder head.

This post here has a great picture of what I'm talking about. You can see the EGR port to the right of the inlet "galley"
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5237787&postcount=11

Last edited:

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I wonder why VW's publication does not say this, the publication for the EA189 (prior generation TDI) makes it pretty clear that they have both HP and LP.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You can rest assured that the EGR passage leads to someplace in the intake manifold that evenly distributes the EGR between all cylinders as best as possible.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
and there would be no reason to mention high pressure EGR in a book focused on the EA288 if it did not apply.

the wording is a little strange, but there you have it.

(and this is pretty much a guess on my part.

I have a couple photos of the front of a 2015, but it is not simple to see where the exhaust flows in.

but a port on the front of the head makes sense, so the EGR valve, mounted on the intercooler, fits into this port, and exhast then combines with boost air before the intercooler, and then passes into the intake, where recirculated exhaust combined with clean air (and low pressure egr gasses)

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Item 1 is the high pressure unit at the front of the cylinder head, 4 is the low pressure EGR cooler/filter with valve (#7) on top of it. It fits into the DPF via a v-band champ. I just recently had my transmission off along with air filter and battery, it was hard to see if the EGR went into the intercooler but it's completely possible. I can't imagine the flow entering the combustion chamber without it being measured for temp first. There is a temp sensor pre and post intercooler, so it has to be measured with either of those two sensors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
definitely both HP and LP EGR.