www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 7th, 2017, 05:11   #61
RBTDI

Default Coordinating Buyback With New Car Purchase

I'm going Buyback on my '14 Passat TDi SEL. I wanted to see if anyone who has recently gone through the full buyback/turn-in process had any advice regarding coordinating the buyback/turn-in with a new car purchase (not a VW). My thinking now is to wait on ordering a new car until I know that there won't be any delay in VW processing my buyback paperwork and perhaps even after I sign and return the buyback offer. Assuming the new car then has to come from the factory vs. one on the dealer lot, I may have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery. I would want to wait on my turn-in until the new car has been delivered to the dealer. I understand that YMMV, but I'd appreciate any feedback on the following:

1. How long did it take from when you turned in your initial paperwork until you received the buyback offer from VW? I have clear title to mine, original vehicle buyer and I am the only owner. I'd be interested in feedback from similar individuals vs. people with outstanding loans, 2nd owners, etc.

2. After you signed/returned the buyback offer and VW accepted it, I understand that you then schedule your turn-in through the VW portal. Has anyone tried to schedule a date 6-8 weeks out in the future, even if there are earlier appointment dates/times available for the turn-in dealer. Does the portal allow this?

Any feedback from people in similar circumstances would be appreciated. And if this belongs in a different forum, please advise. Thanks.
RBTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 05:52   #62
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

I believe you may be able to "leapfrog"..............

For example, yesterday I scheduled my BB app't for 29 August.

However, the portal provides for cancellation and RE-scheduling.

Hope this helps.

This has been a very helpful site for me - so you keep asking questions...........

Good answers - MHO - should follow.

all the best,

ez
Old August 7th, 2017, 13:30   #63
AusTexRocker

Very helpful indeed. All the forms are downloaded and ready for the appointment.I had my buy back approved a while back but just today made an appointment for the end of October since I'm holding out for 2018 Golf R inventory to arrive. Yeah, yeah, I know...TDI traitor going gas. So, I may have to "leapfrog", maybe not. But here is my question, has anyone taken a check at the dealership and used it on the spot towards a new VW?
Old August 8th, 2017, 14:07   #64
PacCoastFwy923
Veteran Member

I'm not going to look for the post because I'd never find it, but I recall one member doing just that, except that the dealership needed to hold the funds for a few days, as if VW's check wasn't going to clear. Of course, this was most likely a dealer specific policy. I seem to recall a story told in another thread where the dealer wouldn't take VW's check.

However, if you have good credit, most dealers have a system in place where you can accept their financing for three days while you seek your own financing. They hold the paperwork during that time. Meanwhile, you drive off in the car on day one. You can work within this system but show up with a check after your bank processes the funds.
Old August 8th, 2017, 16:23   #65
Caro

Default "Worth" it...?

I'm all set for the buyback and wondering of those who have gone through this, has anyone find they got less for the car than it's worth? I think I'm doing ok. I have 2010 Jetta TDI Manual w/Sunroof (tho I get nothing for it because they say it wasn't manufacture installed even tho I drove it new off the lot). Offer is 9k + 5k so a little more than $14,000

The reason I am crying is we had to replace the engine because a mtx dropped a drill bit in the intake manifold and tore up the cylinder. Odometer registers around 96,000 but the new engine has way less.

Hard to find this car for sale online to know what it would sell for. Inner voice is screaming at me that I'm missing something, but I don't know what. Oh, and the turbo is out, still drivable, but not racing anyone LOL
Caro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 18:41   #66
unique_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTexRocker View Post
Very helpful indeed. All the forms are downloaded and ready for the appointment.I had my buy back approved a while back but just today made an appointment for the end of October since I'm holding out for 2018 Golf R inventory to arrive. Yeah, yeah, I know...TDI traitor going gas. So, I may have to "leapfrog", maybe not. But here is my question, has anyone taken a check at the dealership and used it on the spot towards a new VW?
that is my plan for monday the 14th. drive my 2012 in get a check, walk 2 offices down and hand them the check then drive my 2015 out. the dealership was involved in crafting the plan so i dont anticipate any problems. there better not be, im driving 3 hours to another state for this. ill post back how it goes.
unique_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 18:52   #67
unique_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post

However, the portal provides for cancellation and RE-scheduling.

ez
it does, but you have to cancel your appointment before you can reschedule.
there is no way to see the next available appointment until after you cancel though
unique_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 13:59   #68
lvfnchs
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique_name View Post
that is my plan for monday the 14th. drive my 2012 in get a check, walk 2 offices down and hand them the check then drive my 2015 out. the dealership was involved in crafting the plan so i dont anticipate any problems. there better not be, im driving 3 hours to another state for this. ill post back how it goes.
This is what I'm planning to do on Monday the 14th as well.

Quote:
it does, but you have to cancel your appointment before you can reschedule.
there is no way to see the next available appointment until after you cancel though
There actually is a way because I found out. I was worried about going over the estimated miles (I'm now borrowing a friend's car to make sure I don't go into the next bracket before Monday). I was chatting online with the claims people and they were able to put me on hold and find out the next available appointment at my dealership. So if you know the dealership, just do a chat and ask them. They have ways of checking.
lvfnchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 04:25   #69
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBTDI View Post
I'm going Buyback on my '14 Passat TDi SEL. I wanted to see if anyone who has recently gone through the full buyback/turn-in process had any advice regarding coordinating the buyback/turn-in with a new car purchase (not a VW). <snip>
1. How long did it take from when you turned in your initial paperwork until you received the buyback offer from VW? <snip>
2. After you signed/returned the buyback offer and VW accepted it, I understand that you then schedule your turn-in through the VW portal. Has anyone tried to schedule a date 6-8 weeks out in the future, even if there are earlier appointment dates/times available for the turn-in dealer. Does the portal allow this?
<snip>
I did the paperwork on the portal several months ago. It all went very smoothly, but I hasten to add that our situation is about as simple as it gets. We bought the car new, for cash, and have just driven it ever since, so no liens, etc. Got the offer from VW only about 2 days after doing the online application to that point. When I went to look over the scheduling, there was nothing available more than a few months out, which probably makes sense from their point of view. Doesn't matter to us, since we're not turning the car in until late next year.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 07:52   #70
rustycat
Veteran Member

We had as simple as it gets too. Met with the rep and within 15 minutes he handed us a check and we were done.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:11   #71
eurocab

Angry Still waiting on the check

I surrendered my 2010 Q7 last Friday and was told that I would receive payment within 2 days. There were no liens on the Audi as I paid cash for it. Now they have my claim under audit review leaving me hanging in the wind. I was told that this is normal, but they should have warned us that this would happen. The guy I spoke with at Claims says there is nothing he can do, but he gave me the number for their Counsel. Nobody will answer the phone there and I get thrown into voice mail. I left messages twice and still no response. Seller Beware.
eurocab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:31   #72
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocab View Post
I surrendered my 2010 Q7 last Friday and was told that I would receive payment within 2 days. There were no liens on the Audi as I paid cash for it. Now they have my claim under audit review leaving me hanging in the wind. I was told that this is normal, but they should have warned us that this would happen. The guy I spoke with at Claims says there is nothing he can do, but he gave me the number for their Counsel. Nobody will answer the phone there and I get thrown into voice mail. I left messages twice and still no response. Seller Beware.
Grrrr....

Different dealerships, different reps, different situations.

Personally do not like EFTs ~~ might be safer, still do not like 'em.

I guess, (doing the BB) one might use the *show me the check* before surrendering the car.

All the time figuring you might have to do a "be back" to get the full job done.
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:36   #73
eurocab

Default I requested a Check vs. EFT

I really expected to get paid last Friday. My mileage was only 54K and I only put 100 miles on the vehicle from the time that I made the appointment to surrender date. I was surprised that there was no check, but assured I would have it within 2 days. And now this suspense.

If I had known this would be the result, I would have taken the $10+ grand and kept the vehicle. Nothing wrong with it and I traded down to a Hyundai Santa Fe gas burner so I could pocket some extra cash. Now my bank account is nearly depleted. I hate to get an attorney involved, but that may be the only way to get their attention.

If anyone needs it, the counsel's phone number is 800/948-2181.

I hope nobody else has my experience.
Old August 11th, 2017, 14:00   #74
eurocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gunther1 View Post
Don't do the buyback without getting the check at the dealership!!! I turned my car in 10 February 2017. NO MONEY to me yet. I have worked for 7 weeks with VW counsel and still nothing but a run around.
I wish I had seen this thread before I surrendered my Q7. Argh.
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:09   #75
lvfnchs
Veteran Member

Default Good luck!

Quote:
Just wanted to say good luck to both of us on our buyback and purchase today! Hoping it goes smoothly.
lvfnchs is offline   Reply With Quote