www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old April 7th, 2017, 09:21   #16
shirec08

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
1. Mileage brackets, as noted at least twice above, are based on adjusted mileage. No round number milestones on your odometer matter; the brackets are 5000 miles wide for adjusted mileage. And the difference is on the order of a few hundred dollars between brackets.
2. It won't affect you in the least. If you return the car on four donut spares, they might not want to take it, but if it's on four normal wheels you should be fine.
3. Again, no effect at all.
Thanks, Danno. I read about the mileage brackets (at least twice from above) but wanted to make sure there was no fine print or any additional factors outside of the general brackets. At this point, I feel like the longer I give VW to find a way to screw me, the more creative they will become in doing so. Cheers!
shirec08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:28   #17
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirec08 View Post
<snip>
2. A guy who owns a VW Rabbit was interested in my wheels. If I swapped with his generic ones, how might that effect me?
<snip>
Be sure you've got the same pattern of wheel lugs. Our son is turning his '13 Jetta TDI inon Monday, and was going to swap wheels / tires with hi '02 Jetta GLI. Can't happen; different lug patterns.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 20:14   #18
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpizz6 View Post
Turned my second one in today. The agent was happy to see that I had downloaded the online forms and completed them in advance. She indicated that I was the first this week to do. So:

11. If you want to save time at the buyback appointment, download and complete the forms in advance.
Yup. I had the forms ready to go. From the time I pulled onto the lot to the time I walked out the door with the check was x < 15 minutes.
bubbagumpshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:24   #19
todds87ss

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/q...psmlcwrsmn.jpg
they will now cut you a check at the appointment. they even took my broke-a**-deer-killin-bumper-draggin Passat, no questions (some interesting looks, though). It just had to drive in under it's own TDI awesomeness. That alone is a testament to the VW engineering. On my way out of the dealership, I asked if they were going to release the 2015s - some fixed, some new. The sales manager said "soon". You never know. I may end up going from a broken 2012 to a new 2015...fingers crossed.
todds87ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 11:16   #20
Salsaman06
Veteran Member

This is a checklist I made for myself before turning in my car (because i tend to forget the obvious )

- [x] Remove Bluetooth adapter fm OBDII port
- [x] Remove any media from the NAV system (CDs/SD cards)
- [x] Clear custom POIs from NAV system
- [x] unpair phone and iPod
- [x] clear home setting and any contact info stored in the NAV system
- [x] Clear front console
- [x] Clear out rear of console
- [x] Clear rear arm rest
- [x] Clear all 4 door pockets
- [x] Remove Toll tag from windshield
- [x] Remove dash cam from windshield
- [x] Clear glovebox
- [x] Clear driver glove box
- [x] Clear sunglasses roof console
- [x] Remove front headrest slip covers
- [x] Remove dash mat
- [x] Remove front and rear license plates
- [x] and license frames
- [x] Remove custom fit front sunscreen
- [x] Remove monster mats
- [x] Remove trunk contents
- [x] Remove tools fm spare tire area
- [x] Remove trunk mat and cargo blocks
- [x] Remove trunk package hook
- [x] Remove Panzer Plate
- [x] File notice with DMV
- [x] Deactivate satellite radio
Salsaman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 14:17   #21
JAV37

Default anyone keeping their TDI?

I am planning to keep my 2011 Golf. I do not want the modification/s to make it "better". Is anyone else planning to keep theirs? If so do you think any parts will be available? Do you think they will force us to give them up? The dealer called me a "5%er" Not real happy with them either. I just want a TDI I can drive and find parts for like my A4 ALH.
JAV37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 21:01   #22
vmb

Fuel Economy: 40ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by todds87ss View Post
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/q...psmlcwrsmn.jpg
they will now cut you a check at the appointment. they even took my broke-a**-deer-killin-bumper-draggin Passat, no questions (some interesting looks, though). It just had to drive in under it's own TDI awesomeness. That alone is a testament to the VW engineering. On my way out of the dealership, I asked if they were going to release the 2015s - some fixed, some new. The sales manager said "soon". You never know. I may end up going from a broken 2012 to a new 2015...fingers crossed.
Well if they took that, hopefully they'll take mine, with all it's engine sputtering and short-circuit-reporting, misfiring nonsense... Assuming it'll make it to the dealer.
vmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:25   #23
Dieselaire

Fuel Economy: 40+
Default Turned in 2011 TDI SportsWagen What to expect on a new TDI

We completed our buy back on our 2011 TDI SportsWagen. We did not use the same buy back dealer that we bought the car from. Completed all forms with no problem, Check was cut and presented to us in about 1/2 hour. The female VW Rep said it was one of the cleanest cars turned in. (No Extra incentive was offered) We expected to trade in on a New 2015 SportsWagen. No such luck, Losing the Sales Tax incentive on a trade in. So we had already made a deposit on a 2015 TDI SEL SportsWagen several months before. This was to sew up a Deal on the particular vehicle that we wanted. Our local dealer had 22 of these TDI 2015 SportsWagens with only 2 that was SEL trim packages. All the rest were SE trim. VW of America will sell the remaining TDI cars at full factory retail. The only incentive is a $5000 rebate on VW financing 0%. All prior dealer incentives were revoked. There was no dealing, take it or leave it. We did work with the local dealer salesman, but their hands were tied by VW of America on any offers as VW still owned the cars. Did We Get Screwed? As the current blue book on a new 2015 loaded SEL SportsWagen is about $25,000 plus a little more for 0 mileage. Original Factory sticker price on the 2015 $32,265
Dieselaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 14:28   #24
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselaire View Post
The female VW Rep said it was one of the cleanest cars turned in. (No Extra incentive was offered)
Of course not; condition is not a factor here unless it's in bad enough shape that the rep thinks it's been stripped, or that it isn't roadworthy, in which case they won't take it at all. There's no adjusting of value for condition.

Quote:
We expected to trade in on a New 2015 SportsWagen. No such luck, Losing the Sales Tax incentive on a trade in.
There's no reason you should have expected that; this isn't a trade-in and never has been.

Quote:
We did work with the local dealer salesman, but their hands were tied by VW of America on any offers as VW still owned the cars.
They lied to you. MSRP minus the $5k does seem to be the deal most people are getting, but at least a few have gotten a lower price.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 08:58   #25
vtbigdog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV37 View Post
I am planning to keep my 2011 Golf. I do not want the modification/s to make it "better". Is anyone else planning to keep theirs? If so do you think any parts will be available? Do you think they will force us to give them up? The dealer called me a "5%er" Not real happy with them either. I just want a TDI I can drive and find parts for like my A4 ALH.
Your State may enact legislation that would not allow you to register your vehicle if you have not installed an available emissions fix, even if there is no emissions testing in your state...fyi
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 13:25   #26
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbigdog View Post
Your State may enact legislation that would not allow you to register your vehicle if you have not installed an available emissions fix, even if there is no emissions testing in your state...fyi
No, they may not. They've agreed not to as a condition of receiving funds under this settlement.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:12   #27
branforddiesel

trade appointment is in an hour..Really quick question. I've got a 127,500 on it now. If I wait until next week to turn it in , would I be netting more?. Does adding another month stretch out acquired mileage? Thanks, Jeff
branforddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 08:46   #28
3 Diesels
Lightbulb After VW's Updates then what?

I have a 09 TDI Jetta 270k 6 speed and a 2015 Passat TDI 6 Speed and I am concerned what happens after the 'updates'. If any one has had them done and can tell me please post. I have heard the older Jetta's run hotter and parts tend to go faster. The new 2015 I just expect to loose performance and mpg. I appreciate anyone that can add their experiences for the following:
1. Performance differences
2. MPG losses
3. Mechanical issues after the fix

I have not yet had either car fixed due to web site locking on government vehicles which these are now.
Thanks Very Much!
3 Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 16:17   #29
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
There is not a fix for your Jetta. It's unlikely that there ever will be.
The first sentence is correct. The second one is speculative.

There is a fix for that poster's Passat (at least, the first stage of such a fix), and people don't seem to be reporting degraded performance or fuel consumption. It seems to be fine. Take note that the fix for that car involves a pro-active replacement of the DPF under some circumstances, which could indicate that the "downside" is shortened life of the emission control components ... but that's what the 162,000 mile warranty is for.

Last edited by GoFaster; May 30th, 2017 at 16:20.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 13:13   #30
vmb

Fuel Economy: 40ish
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by todds87ss View Post
It just had to drive in under it's own TDI awesomeness.
into the lot i presume? towing it 3/4s the way there and then limping in should be fine?
vmb is offline   Reply With Quote