www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old March 30th, 2017, 15:26   #1
chief poncho
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta
Default Buyback Lessons Learned

Just thought I'd start this thread for late comers, procrastinators and just folks that put off doing the buyback/modification until later.

So what are your lessons from the buyback, such as pitfalls to avoid, things to speed things along, or just general tips for making the process as smooth as possible?

Here are a few of mine:

1. Mileage adjustment is calculated based on the 1st of each month. When scheduling your buyback verify your adjusted mileage. Waiting a single day longer could net you $300-$700 extra.

2. Even though mileage adjustment has been beaten to death on this forum, keep this in mind. Your buyback/modification mileage adjustment is calculated by subtracting 1042 x number of months since Sept 2015 from the mileage at your turn-in date. VW uses 5k increments for each bracket such as 0-5000; 5001-10,000; 10,001 - 15,000; etc. If you don't understand how this works, research it.

3. If you don't want to dig through the settlement tables, use an online calculator to get an accurate estimate of your buyback/modification amount. https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

4. If your car has sat for awhile, make sure it will start a couple days prior to the buyback. Dead batteries, rodent damage, etc can make you miss your appointment. If you need a battery, consider picking up a used one instead of paying full price for new. Jumping the car to get you to the appointment may not be enough, since the claims adjuster will want to start the vehicle prior to completing the turn-in.

5. I highly recommend using the electronic transfer over a paper check. If there is a mileage adjustment it's automatically handled and there is no need to reschedule.

6. If you have a loan, continue making payments until VW pays off the lien. Don't just assume this will happen as some folks have experienced as many as 6 weeks delay in loan payoff.

7. If your loan is not paid off within 2 weeks (10 working days) of completing your buyback, contact VW claims via the help number or online chat and ask for a tracking number for the payoff check. This was extremely helpful in determining exactly when my bank received the check (24 calendar days after turn-in).

8. If you haven't filed a claim yet and are close to having your loan paid off, do so before filing or wait to file until the loan is paid off and you receive the title or lien release. Clear titles are processed much faster than vehicles with liens.

9. When scheduling your appointment be sure to check multiple dealers for the earliest date.

10. Double check to remove any media such as CDs or SD cards from the infotainment system.

11. If collecting your payment by check at turn-in, verify the check is physically in the hands of the buyback rep before signing any paperwork.

12. If turning in a crash damaged car, you may or may not have the buyback accepted depending on the level of damage and the buyback rep executing the process.

13. Don't unload your vandalized and graffiti plastered with vulgar insults car while blocking the service entrance of the dealership.

14. If flying United, make sure you wear head gear, padding and are UFC trained, just in case you need to get bumped for United employees to get to their destination.

That's it for me...I know others have a lot more to add.

Last edited by chief poncho; April 13th, 2017 at 12:23.
chief poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 18:14   #2
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief poncho View Post
Your buyback/modification mileage adjustment is calculated by subtracting 1042 x number of months since Sept 2015 from the mileage at your turn-in date.
So ******* much this. The mileage brackets are for the adjusted mileage, not the mileage reading on your odometer. It's in black and white on the charts themselves.

Quote:
I highly recommend using the electronic transfer over a paper check. If there is a mileage adjustment it's automatically handled and there is no need to reschedule.
Word is that they're finally doing what the settlement documents require them to do: mailing you a check if your mileage is enough higher than expected, that your payment is lower than expected. With that said, I still favor EFT, though there have been problems with both methods of payment.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 14:49   #3
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

This is a darn good idea for a sticky thread.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:22   #4
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
2. Even though mileage adjustment has been beaten to death on this forum, keep this in mind. Your buyback/modification mileage adjustment is calculated by subtracting 1042 x number of months since Sept 2015 from the mileage at your turn-in date. VW uses 5k increments for each bracket such as 0-5000; 5001-10,000; 10,001 - 15,000; etc. If you don't understand how this works, research it.

Crying in my beer over this BB factor. My adjusted mileage is a negative 15,500 miles

Along with the fact my car is in pristine condition. -- We all know about the really stinko condition units being turned in.

Should I be thrilled I am getting the WAG $$$$s --- Heck yes, I am X 10 --

At least I will have a good feeling, that someone will get a nice car, after WAG resells it.
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:40   #5
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Brian P.
formerly ... 2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Spice Red, Unitronics stage 1, 0.681 5th gear.
and before that ... 1996 Passat TDI, Silk Blue
GoFaster is offline Report Post

Brien, Is your (passed) Silk Blue the exact same Silky Blue of today's cars?

I'm somewhat thrilled with my Tungsten Silver. But the "blue" is still in my heart.
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:44   #6
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

If it's not the same, it's darn close. I really liked it. Still do.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 13:52   #7
Airpizz6
Veteran Member

Turned in one last Wednesday. Spent nearly an hour cleaning out the car beforehand - glove box, console, trunk, seat back pockets, EZ Pass tag, erased the nav system memory, zeroed the Homelink, etc... Then today I remembered - left my wife's favorite CD in the car. Dang, guess you can never be too careful.
Airpizz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 23:19   #8
chief poncho
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

10. Check to ensure all CDs and SD cards are removed from radio!
chief poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:08   #9
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
....and if the nav unit / radio has an HD or SSD, one may find it desirable to erase any mp3s or whatever that have been loaded onto it.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:38   #10
jekl843

Quote:
Whoops! Good advice after the fact, I completely forgot the CDs in my car when I turned it in... Oh well, I first put them in 2011 when I first got it and almost never used 'em again after hooking up the Ipod. At least I remembered to take that.
jekl843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 13:51   #11
Airpizz6
Veteran Member

Turned my second one in today. The agent was happy to see that I had downloaded the online forms and completed them in advance. She indicated that I was the first this week to do. So:

11. If you want to save time at the buyback appointment, download and complete the forms in advance.
Airpizz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 14:47   #12
Cairo1984

TDI(s): 2014 Passat
Smile I am a late comer... sorry guys..

I am assuming these tips are solely for the USA given that Canada's court proceedings are still in the works?

Is there anything Canadians can do in the meantime if we want to rid ourselves of our vehicle (private sale? etc.) or are we at the courts mercy?

Lastly, I purchased my vehicle after the scandal broke (I purchased it in Jan. 2016). Anyone know how that effects me or if I still qualify? The class action lawsuit website is a bit vague as it says "you MAY qualify" vs "you DO".

Any feedback is appreciated!
Cairo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 13:57   #13
Armby
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo1984 View Post
I am assuming these tips are solely for the USA given that Canada's court proceedings are still in the works?
You should ask your questions in The Dieselgate the Canadian Edition sticky but not before doing some reading of the latest messages in that thread and reading the FAQ on the https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/ site.

You are an eligible purchaser. See question 15 in the FAQ. You will get a cash payment if you have your car fixed (if a fix is approved). In Canada an eligible purchaser will not be able to do the buyback unless there is no fix.
Armby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 07:49   #14
shirec08

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I initially opted for the fix. Since then, I came across a 12' GTI at a price I couldn't pass up. I had my VWGoA Online Claim Account reverted back to the step asking for choice of fix or buyback. I'll likely be going the buyback route, but had some questions first.

1. Are there any mileage milestones that will significantly impact offer? (I'm approaching 100k).
2. A guy who owns a VW Rabbit was interested in my wheels. If I swapped with his generic ones, how might that effect me?
3. For some reason, the prior GTI owner removed the back headrests. If I were to take the ones out of my TDI, again, what's the end result with offer amount?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you don't feel like going into detail, tell me where to look. I have no problem doing my own research, I just wanted to narrow the scope of my search a bit. Thanks in advance!
shirec08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 07:56   #15
DanB36
Veteran Member

1. Mileage brackets, as noted at least twice above, are based on adjusted mileage. No round number milestones on your odometer matter; the brackets are 5000 miles wide for adjusted mileage. And the difference is on the order of a few hundred dollars between brackets.
2. It won't affect you in the least. If you return the car on four donut spares, they might not want to take it, but if it's on four normal wheels you should be fine.
3. Again, no effect at all.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote