MK7 Golf Build

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The suspect :

The car has been tuned almost since purchase, and within three months I had a downpipe on with a resonator and dual exit through a GTI valence. Very pleased with the look and the sound has grown on me.

I got up with Andrew (2micron) about a CP3 upgrade, and after waiting a couple months for everything to line up with pieces to the kit I have it installed along with a 1micron filter upgrade that he made up that replaces the stock filter entirely. 100k mile change intervals at half the cost of 20k interval OEM filter sounds pretty nice to me! The CP3 is an R70 version similar to his MK6 kits as well with just a couple small differences.

During the install of the CP3, I had already picked up a Fluidampr in preparation of a clutch upgrade with SMF. For fun, I went ahead and installed that even though the clutch was yet to come. Once I was tuned with this car, I could get DMF shudder in 5th and 6th gears under 2k RPMs..I just drove around it. Well, wouldn't you know that the Fluidampr actually made that disappear completely! A fluidampr on a MK7 will need the lower timing cover trimmed and sanded as there is a ridge on the cover that the stock pulley rides over but the fluidampr was rubbing. The stock pulley is super light, has practically no rubber, and basically leaves you to believe that VW left all the torsional vibration duties to the DMF.
DC Stage 3 clutch is what I opted for with a 17lb SMF. I was initially hesitant on that light of a flywheel, but it has been great so far. Total weight of stock DMF/clutch disk/pressure plate is 39lbs whereas this setup is 30lbs plus the extra weight of the fluidampr and LSD almost evens out back out. I'll have the fluidampr, a sprung (silent) clutch disk, and I'll be using Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil (now running OEM fluid instead) in hopes that synchros last. I really enjoy how quiet the car is, so crossing my fingers that it remains tolerable compared to my Jetta that has no silent clutch disc and rattles like crazy. Goodies ready to install!

I've currently got the transmission off the car and installing a Peloquin "high-torque" LSD. The subframe doesn't have to come down to remove the 02Q, but it sure as hell would make things a ton easier! Reading Matt Whitbread's LSD install thread, the case splitting apart with "just a rubber mallet" made me laugh after all that I went through to get this thing apart. After my first attempt failed and left a permanent reminder of what not to do, I came up with a simple way to get the case seal broken using just a bolt and nut! After that, you still have to get the input shaft bearing out of the case which requires some tapping of a dead blow hammer.

Leading up to this work, I went ahead and purchased steel shift forks with bronze sliders from darkside in the likely event I had brass forks inside the case. I am happy to report, that in this MK7 02Q (PFN), it has ALL steel forks with updated plastic sliders. We'll see how they hold up!

My plan is to have the clutch broken in by the time I get my turbo from Ryan at Darkside. I asked him to look at options for fitting a GTD2060vz to my car, but this turbo in testing had boost creep issues. The CR190 (GTD1449vz) turbo on the Euro GTD has similar issues and Malone tuning no longer suggests this turbo for "Stage 3".

So the plan has shifted to the GTD1752vrk kit that they offer.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The stock clutch throwout bearing has a 3mm plastic washer attached to it. So it looks as though I'll have to either reuse the stock unit or get a new one as the one with my kit does not have the washer. I'm thinking I'd have big clutch engagement issues if I went with the one without the washer unless the measurement of the stock pressure plate fingers and DC pressure plate springs are different by 3mm.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Sub'd. This looks like it's going to be a great thread.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Putting the case back together wasn't too bad. The case had to be heated around the input shaft bearing, it magically fell in place once it got warm enough. There is also a flat spot on the bearing that matches a flat spot in the case, these have to be lined up during install. It appears that the issue with input shaft play in the previous 02Ms has been remedied with the 02Q (or when an external snap ring is present outside of the cover). The snap ring will only fall into the groove of the bearing once it's fully seated (after heating the case). The cover also has to be seated fully into the bore for the outer snap ring to get into place resulting in what appears to be a locked position for the shaft.

Just finished getting everything put back together and I believe I have a little bit of air in the throwout. I'm able to drive it, but 1st and reverse are tricky when stationary and are easier if I pump the pedal a couple times or am able to rev match. The DC Stage 3 from what I can tell has the same feel as stock pedal. May be the air in the system, but I don't see it being much stiffer when it's all done and that's quite amazing to me with it's 528ft-lb rating.

Any other tricks out there for getting all the air out of these slave cylinders? The stock procedure is to pressurize the system to 29psi, crack the bleeder, and pump the pedal by hand 20 times, then close the bleeder. I've done that so far twice, and am thinking of a different approach to see if it helps.

Update: All air is out of system, clutch engages fairly low but 1st and reverse are getting easier as I drive it. Not too pleased with the amount of chatter with this unit thus far, but I've seen an old post from the vendor where it was suggested to quiet down after ~1,000 miles or so. I get some noise while in gear and rolling up to around 2k RPM, then it goes away. Hopefully it quiets down and the engagement for 1st and reverse improve some more, or I may have to add a shim under the throwout bearing to compensate as I believe the clutch may be dragging just slightly while the pedal is pushed in.

Pedal effort and clutch engagement are exactly like stock IMO. The engagement height is all that is different, so I'm pleased with that at least!

EDIT/UPDATE
1600 miles on the clutch and it appears to be quieting down some more. It will chatter sometimes, and others it's perfectly acceptable. Odd that it seems to come and go. Still makes some gear noise when driving, but may be getting better or I'm just getting used to it. I've also switched back to the stock VW fluid (Part# G052512A2) a few hundred miles ago and results are much smoother shifts! 1st gear has been getting easier to grab as well, enough to make me not feel the need to go back in and shim the CSC...could be combination of a wearing in clutch disk and the fluid change. Overall, I'm really enjoying the smoothness and the lower engagement height of this DC Stage 3.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Some parts numbers I gathered should the interest in MK7s build now that they're for sale again :)

Gearbox-Engine and Mount/Mount Bracket Bolts (Some of these were different than the ones I received with my clutch, but that was to be expected with the MK7 being somewhat different)
Bolts into the block are 80Nm and bolts into the oil pan are 40Nm
N90916102 (40Nm) x2 Lowest bolts w/ washer
N91037901 (80Nm) x2 Starter
N90884602 (80Nm) Double stud (shift cable mounting bracket attaches to this)
N10692701 (40Nm) Lower left just below starter
N91060202 (80Nm) Faces opposite direction
N10721501 (80Nm) Upper bolt

WHT005631B x20 (15Nm +180deg) Gear housing-to-bellhousing bolts
N10709001 x3 (60Nm +90deg) Bracket-to-Gearbox
N10552404 x3 (60Nm +90deg) Mount-to-Bracket
N91167101 (50Nm +90deg) Pendulum
N10699401 (50Nm +90deg) Pendulum

G055512A2 x3 Proper VW Fluid (per dealer with VIN lookup), will need 2.4 liters.
EDIT: If looking for 02Q fluid make sure to look up the correct model as the 02Q used in the VW Passat, for instance, uses G052171A2
02M301189G x2 Axle flange seals
02A301227M Shift tower seal
02M311113A Input shaft seal
02M301211D Input shaft bearing cover
02B498210 Differential bearing race shim kit
02Q409208 Oil Keeper Shim under other differential bearing race (gets destroyed upon removal of old race)
Also to note, the shim I needed from the shim kit was exactly the same as what was in there. I replaced it anyway as it took some hits from the punch when taking out the race. The method of removing races with a welder would probably have saved both the shim and the oil keeper.

Steel shift fork numbers. When using my VIN, Ryan at Darkside as well as my local dealer get a part number for a set of selector forks that will net you with brass units. The numbers below are what are etched onto the forks (made in Austria) in this particular gearbox, but are not to be found anywhere in ETKA. When searching, only parts with earlier letters can be found. Maybe they'll be available at some point in the future, so here they are!
02M-311-559-Q
02M-311-549-R
02M-311-562-T
02M-311-570-J

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Huh neat. My 0A6 throwout looked similar, but didn't have the plastic washer, it had contact marks on the face of the sheetmetal bearing retainer cover so it certainly wasn't there when it was in the tiguan. 2010 MY, iirc

Maybe the plastic's a new thing to remove creaking noises from the usually unlubricated PP fingers.
The slave has quite a large amount of travel available, somewhere around 30mm

citrustaco

TDI
10 Golf
Super interested how your build turns out. The only other mk7 build I've seen is this guys on Malone's facebook. I wonder if he posts here so you guys could compare builds.

https://www.facebook.com/MaloneTuning/posts/1470664309616633

Looking at fixmyvw's website looks like they finally got malone stage 4 GTB kit ready to go for the mk6. It's almost too bad dieselgate offered so much money - almost everyone is selling

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Stage 4 kits are not available yet, Andrew has a couple to play around with but we've got some final touches to finish up and are waiting on some parts for more testing. It'll be a plug and play kit for both stock exhausts and larger turbo back setups but I wouldn't expect publicly sold kits before summer.

Connors at boot camp until early June unfortunately, will get more updates from him then and iron out a couple things.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The stage 4 manifolds are also circular ports for the MK6s. The CKRA in the Passats and CRUA in the MK7 have oval ports on the cylinder heads. I had seen Connors car as well on Facebook, but don't believe he is a member here or he hasn't posted it here at least. My plan is to find a dyno in the area to get a base run after the clutch is broken in. 250 miles on it this far. I'll also need it for fine tuning with Malone I imagine. It is the best way to get logs done!

Clutch appears to be quieting down some as well as finding first gear more easily. Hope that trend continues a bit more.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
If there's enough international demand we might consider oval port manifolds, tricky given the short run period this side of the pond and international part sales can be a pain.

Nice job on the trans! Looking forward to seeing some baseline data. Think you'll be very pleased with the way these things breath up top with the short inlet length, and that diff will make the power usable.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
We have GTB oval port kits with or without EGR port. GTD manifold is fabricated, just need to fit one to a car!

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
nice build, Im have problems with 02m gearbox with the hydr clucth bearing
the stock one dont have enough travel to relase the pp sachs sre with solid flywheel.

now I saw youre oem one have a 3mm thick plastic ring on it
are there more like that with even thicker rings ?
Im need atleast 6mm

What numbers on 3mm throw out bearing ?

thanks

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks, do you now that the bearing sold separtly
I have no idea. There is a number on the bearing itself made by SKF, but no VAG part number. Personally, if I need to go back in there to shim it, I'll go with a solution that shims behind the throwout rather than using the plastic on the face that contacts the pressure plate. My particular pressure plate is a modified Sachs unit, but is not stiff at all...very stock pedal feel. If it were stiff like the southbend in my jetta, I'd not feel great about it's longevity.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
now I saw youre oem one have a 3mm thick plastic ring on it
are there more like that with even thicker rings ?
Im need atleast 6mm
do you have a friend with a lathe?
I made a spacer for mine that has a step that locates in the ID of the sheetmetal bearing cover. Wish I'd taken pictures.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
[QUOTE='[486]do you have a friend with a lathe?
I made a spacer for mine that has a step that locates in the ID of the sheetmetal bearing cover. Wish I'd taken pictures.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like the way to go right there!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
subbed.

this looks like good reference to some goodies on my new 2015 wagon. Just signed yesterday 4.18.17, with 55 miles on it...yes. 55..... :D

seems like she has been sitting since this whole ordeal broke out sept 2015....muahaha.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
subbed.

this looks like good reference to some goodies on my new 2015 wagon. Just signed yesterday 4.18.17, with 55 miles on it...yes. 55..... :D

seems like she has been sitting since this whole ordeal broke out sept 2015....muahaha.
Nice!
About to tick over 60k miles on my golf. You're going to enjoy it!

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Great project.

Interesting to see the internals of the gearbox.

I think some of the Mk6 o2q are already upgraded with better internals.
Only the 4th gear support mod needed really.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Great project.

Interesting to see the internals of the gearbox.

I think some of the Mk6 o2q are already upgraded with better internals.
Only the 4th gear support mod needed really.
Thanks!
Sadly, I did not opt for the shaft support mod. May rethink that soon.

Just realized your dyno in Bobby's thread. Congrats! That's some serious power. I'm not looking for quite that much, haha. I'd be happy with ~275hp/425ft-lbs.
At what torque level and/or shaft speed do the input and gear shafts begin to separate and cause issues I wonder?

Last edited:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
I've been running 380ft lb / 430 ft lb for a while now. Around 50k. No issues in my case.

I think it's a good support mod to go for, if there was 1 mod for the gearbox, that would be it :)
I will do it soon, when we swap the clutch out I may look at doing it.

I'm sure Ryan will do an exchange if you return the un-used parts :)

Many thanks! Good luck with your project,
Even at what the stock head could flow in my case 255 it was still a seriously quick car and managed a 13.6 @ 102mph on the 1/4 mile :)
So if that's what you ended up with I'd still be very happy!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been running 380ft lb / 430 ft lb for a while now. Around 50k. No issues in my case.

I think it's a good support mod to go for, if there was 1 mod for the gearbox, that would be it :)
I will do it soon, when we swap the clutch out I may look at doing it.

I'm sure Ryan will do an exchange if you return the un-used parts :)

Many thanks! Good luck with your project,
Even at what the stock head could flow in my case 255 it was still a seriously quick car and managed a 13.6 @ 102mph on the 1/4 mile :)
So if that's what you ended up with I'd still be very happy!
I only assume that your CBBB head is similar to CJAA in saying that though?? I will not chase 300hp crazily however. Maybe some WMI to help as there is a convenient tank, lines, and injector wiring already in place and not in use. Just have to see if Malone is willing/able to tune that piece of equipment to be useful ;)

And you know if you are going to open up that gearbox for the support bracket, you're gonna have to throw a LSD in there too!

Good point on the parts swap idea with Ryan, I've currently got the shift forks for sale. We'll see if anyone wants them for a slight discount over what I paid for now.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Nice!
About to tick over 60k miles on my golf. You're going to enjoy it!

I'm digging the filter and top plumbing. Is that Andrews make? Or somthing else?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm digging the filter and top plumbing. Is that Andrews make? Or somthing else?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Yep, edited that post to be more clear that it's Andrew's filter head. Great upgrade, looks great, filters better, and filters cost less than stock units while having a 100k mile change internal over the stock 20k. It's an upgrade that actually pays for itself over time while providing benefits to the fuel system.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
CRUA is more similar to CKRA (possibly CUAA head) and doesn't have same limitations as CJAA. I only assume that your CBBB head is similar to CJAA in saying that though?? I will not chase 300hp crazily however. Maybe some WMI to help as there is a convenient tank, lines, and injector wiring already in place and not in use. Just have to see if Malone is willing/able to tune that piece of equipment to be useful ;)

And you know if you are going to open up that gearbox for the support bracket, you're gonna have to throw a LSD in there too!

Good point on the parts swap idea with Ryan, I've currently got the shift forks for sale. We'll see if anyone wants them for a slight discount over what I paid for now.

I'm not sure, but that would be good if it is. :) Haven't seen a Mk7 head.
I'd love to put an LSD but our exchange rate is awful and has pushed the price up of them.
Plus I get major wheelhop in 2nd and 3rd, and I worry with a diff it will make it worse.

Water injection would be good in your case to keep EGT down, doesn't need mapping in as such , decent map will have EGT protection written in :)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's an external comparison of the front of each head. No idea the differences of all the pathways inside. The CRUA does use a rotated valve star, meaning each camshaft operates both intake and exhaust valves rather than all intake or exhaust. Supposed to increase swirl.